Your plans for 4/20?

Fingon

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Magox already asked sorta, but could you clarify this point for me?

Even if MJ usage is legal, it will remain a clandestine activity. Folks, for reasons, won't be strutting around in the general public saying "Care for a toke?" Their private sector jobs would be at risk, at the least. As well as opprobrium from family and friends.

I certainly know the difference between a MJ high and an alcohol high...that alcohol dwarfs MJ re anti-social behaviour, family problems, crime, and so forth. Little-known fact: during Prohibition, there was a marked decrease in what we now call domestic violence, in so-called petty crime.

If it is legalized, there will be a rush to fill the increased demand. Would there be government "suppliers?" Likely. Would it be a bureaucratic mess? Likely...there is no requirement for competence imposed upon government workers, nor any penalty for failure.

So the criminal supply network would jump for joy - the increased volume of sales would well make out over the current prices.

The thing I worry about, that with increased usage upon legalization, there undoubtedly will be more folks on the roadways under its' influence, there will be a problem for the businesses that we all need to earn out money.

Marijuana is very pleasurable. I know that. I hear the term "gateway drug". I don't think that's strictly true - but I do think you can get addicted to MJ - perhaps not physically, but certainly emotionally. It's entirely so, that it can make one's life be in stasis. And a pleasurable thrill being what it is, some move on to other substances. That's a fact.

Even if MJ usage is legal, it will remain a clandestine activity. Folks, for reasons, won't be strutting around in the general public saying "Care for a toke?" Their private sector jobs would be at risk, at the least. As well as opprobrium from family and friends.

I certainly know the difference between a MJ high and an alcohol high...that alcohol dwarfs MJ re anti-social behaviour, family problems, crime, and so forth. Little-known fact: during Prohibition, there was a marked decrease in what we now call domestic violence, in so-called petty crime.

If it is legalized, there will be a rush to fill the increased demand. Would there be government "suppliers?" Likely. Would it be a bureaucratic mess? Likely...there is no requirement for competence imposed upon government workers, nor any penalty for failure.

So the criminal supply network would jump for joy - the increased volume of sales would well make out over the current prices.

The thing I worry about, that with increased usage upon legalization, there undoubtedly will be more folks on the roadways under its' influence, there will be a problem for the businesses that we all need to earn out money.

Marijuana is very pleasurable. I know that. I hear the term "gateway drug". I don't think that's strictly true - but I do think you can get addicted to MJ - perhaps not physically, but certainly emotionally. It's entirely so, that it can make one's life be in stasis. And a pleasurable thrill being what it is, some move on to other substances. That's a fact.

Good post

Things that I think are funny.......

SOmeone can buy a bottle of 151 rum but not a joint....

Someone can bet on horses and, but cant put $50 on the Bills game

Someone can play keno at the convenient store, but cant play poker

Someone can go to N Falls, NY and must be 21 to drink.....walk a mile to Niagara Falls, ON and you only need to be 19

USA....land of of the free....unless some gray haired politician thinks I need to be protected from myself

Yeah, I use marijuana for that purpose. But I think you'd be lying if you suggested that Americans and people in the developed world at large don't self-medicate to dull stress in SOME way or another.

It's actually pretty simple. Pick your vice people: sex, drugs, tobacco, alcohol, gambling (tremendously destructive for families and individual lives, just ask my sports betting addict friend).

Or how about "safe" vices? Fast food-biochemically produces the same endorphins in your brain and is tremendously destructive and offers no nutritional value. Should that be restricted for public health purposes?

How about pop? I love Pepsi, but it's super bad for you. It can lead to obesity, diabetes, tooth decay, other health defects.

All of the above in some way or another are tremendously bad for you in high doses. The biggest theme of this conversation that gets oft-overlooked is PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

No one should tell you that you can't do bad things to your body (pregnant women notwithstanding). It's my body, I'll poison it if i choose. Cigarettes tell you that they're dangerous right on the box, what more do you need?

Don't patronize consenting adults. Conservatives rail about personal autonomy all day. What more than your own body? Any TRUE conservative would be a harbinger of any restrictions on self-regarding acts. Prostitution, gambling, drugs, any of them.

Ya, I believe in personal freedoms, that's pretty consistent with the rest of my views. People don't magically become lazy because of marijuana, that is something that you just are or aren't. So whenever I hear the "The weed made me lazy" argument. I have to laugh, because it's just a weak ass excuse to push off the blame of an inherent issue that most people don't want to confront.

Please point out where in any of my posts I mentioned being lazy. I think the word I'm using here has been:

IMPAIRED

That was for the impaired members of our group.

Yeah, I use marijuana for that purpose. But I think you'd be lying if you suggested that Americans and people in the developed world at large don't self-medicate to dull stress in SOME way or another.

It's actually pretty simple. Pick your vice people: sex, drugs, tobacco, alcohol, gambling (tremendously destructive for families and individual lives, just ask my sports betting addict friend).

Or how about "safe" vices? Fast food-biochemically produces the same endorphins in your brain and is tremendously destructive and offers no nutritional value. Should that be restricted for public health purposes?

How about pop? I love Pepsi, but it's super bad for you. It can lead to obesity, diabetes, tooth decay, other health defects.

All of the above in some way or another are tremendously bad for you in high doses. The biggest theme of this conversation that gets oft-overlooked is PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

No one should tell you that you can't do bad things to your body (pregnant women notwithstanding). It's my body, I'll poison it if i choose. Cigarettes tell you that they're dangerous right on the box, what more do you need?

Don't patronize consenting adults. Conservatives rail about personal autonomy all day. What more than your own body? Any TRUE conservative would be a harbinger of any restrictions on self-regarding acts. Prostitution, gambling, drugs, any of them.

Talk about patronizing... :thumbdown:

Look into a mirror, Peevo...and don't lecture me. I did not lecture you. And I also know a lot about biochemistry. I'm a degreed chemist, with years of experience.

Please point out where in any of my posts I mentioned being lazy. I think the word I'm using here has been:

IMPAIRED

That was for the impaired members of our group.

Dude, don't talk to me as if I were a Canadian ok? :thumbdown:

Yeah meditation really !@#$s with your system. There are other ways to deal with stress other than things that are bad for you.

Yeah meditation really !@#$s with your system. There are other ways to deal with stress other than things that are bad for you.

People go to great lengths to justify why they want to enter a state outside of reality, tell us how mellow it is, then proceed to insult and otherwise attack others that dare question that.

Go figure... :thumbdown:

as hazed said, good post. i thought peevo's was good too and didnt take it like he was necessarily arguing with you. just adding to the conversation.

i can agree with you that marijuana could be emotionally addicting. and that it becomes habitual for people. but in terms of whether something is too addicting to be legal, the amount of money and energy that is sunk into alcholism, and the damage caused by that one type of addiction alone would still far exceed the cost of "pot rehab".

speaking of pot rehab. (some minor language)

People go to great lengths to justify why they want to enter a state outside of reality, tell us how mellow it is, then proceed to insult and otherwise attack others that dare question that.

Go figure... :D

Oh please! People were just chattin until BB the proverbial curmudgeon began lobbing his sanctimonious views on to the discussion. :thumbdown:

Go figure... :thumbdown:

What's worse is they talk to us like we have no idea what we're talking about. I have done more drugs in my life than most of these people here combined and I'm here to tell you are high, on anything (including alcohol) you're not very productive and you cause more problems than solutions.

Oh please! People were just chattin until BB the proverbial curmudgeon began lobbing his sanctimonious views on the discussion. :thumbdown:

Who/what is this BB, that you malign?

If you have a problem with a poster here, have the grace, have the rocks, to publish a full member name...so that they may respond.