Polish President, Top Officials Die in Plane Crash

PTS

What a sad day for Poland. The Polish President and many top officials died in a plane crash in Russia. They were on their way to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the massacre in Katyn forest of thousands of Polish officers by Soviet secret police.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/04/10/po...crashes-russia/

Not to be seem insensitive, but how is that ironic?

I think it would be ironic if they were on there way to commemorate the 70th year of the Air Traffic Safety commision in Poland.

But I could be wrong.

They were flying on an old Russian Tu-154. The Airport is an old Military Airfield with no; Instrument Approach, no Approach Lights, No all weather runway markings, and no weather reporting capability, it was likely a "GCA (Ground Controlled Approach) non-precision approach in Fog. GCA told them to go around because they were too low. It takes a whole lot of power and time to transition a Tu-154 from approach to go-around configuration and maybe they waited too long to try that. I understand that the crash happened on their 4th approach to land.

It's a tragic loss for the Poles but could have likely been avoided.

Not true.

There are examples of situational irony (irony of fate) in that song.

Thank you! It's a common misconception that the song contains no examples of irony. Some of the lyrics are not ironic, yes. But...

It's a no-smoking sign on your cigarette break

It's like rain on your wedding day

It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife

He won the lottery and died the next day

Mr. Play it Safe was afraid to fly...and the plane crashed down

All of those things do, in fact, represent irony.

"Ironic" is a big pet peeve of mine, because it's not an obscure word but I'd estimate that 10% of our population knows how to use it correctly. Most people use it when describing something unfortunate or coincidental.

"Ironically, I lost most of my money on a bad investment."

"I love the White Stripes too! That's so ironic."

Nope.

Thank you! It's a common misconception that the song contains no examples of irony. Some of the lyrics are not ironic, yes. But...

It's a no-smoking sign on your cigarette break

It's like rain on your wedding day

It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife

He won the lottery and died the next day

Mr. Play it Safe was afraid to fly...and the plane crashed down

All of those things do, in fact, represent irony.

"Ironic" is a big pet peeve of mine, because it's not an obscure word but I'd estimate that 10% of our population knows how to use it correctly. Most people use it when describing something unfortunate or coincidental.

"Ironically, I lost most of my money on a bad investment."

"I love the White Stripes too! That's so ironic."

Nope.

That's my pet peeve, that's so ironic!

yeah, so, anyway, back to the topic: This is just so incredible in this day and age! A First World Nation that transports it's President on an archaic plane to a nowhere airport?? It's stunning. I just can't get my head around how this could be. Are we that far superior that we have a State of the Art plane for our President, complete with crisis plans?

I just can't ever see that happening here. Sure, the plane is a mechanical device and nothing is fool proof. But the flight plan they used -with no back up plan- defies logic while encouraging disaster.

Sure enough, disaster happened.

So sad. So F***ing un-necessary!

yeah, so, anyway, back to the topic: This is just so incredible in this day and age! A First World Nation that transports it's President on an archaic plane to a nowhere airport?? It's stunning. I just can't get my head around how this could be. Are we that far superior that we have a State of the Art plane for our President, complete with crisis plans?

I just can't ever see that happening here. Sure, the plane is a mechanical device and nothing is fool proof. But the flight plan they used -with no back up plan- defies logic while encouraging disaster.

Sure enough, disaster happened.

So sad. So F***ing un-necessary!

Keep in mind, when comparing Poland's procedures, to the US's, that the annual operating budget for Air Force One can probably pay for Poland's entire military. So...yes, we are that superior.

And the Tupolev isn't THAT bad. Most of its ills apparently come from ****ty third-world pilots flying ****ty export models.

Keep in mind, when comparing Poland's procedures, to the US's, that the annual operating budget for Air Force One can probably pay for Poland's entire military. So...yes, we are that superior.

And the Tupolev isn't THAT bad. Most of its ills apparently come from ****ty third-world pilots flying ****ty export models.

Did you ever watch that special on History Channel about AF-1... They have a whole 'nother one ready to go. It was fascinating they wax both planes by hand!

Poland's leadership structure is devastated. It's incredible that they were all on the same flight. DC Tom mentioned above the budgetary differences between the USA and Poland, which likely played a role in having so many top bureaucrats on the same plane. And they were travelling to a rather remote area, it wasn't as if they were catching flights to JFK. In addition to the President, deaths included:

On board were the national bank president, deputy foreign minister, army chaplain, head of the National Security Office, deputy parliament speaker, Olympic Committee head, civil rights commissioner and at least two presidential aides and three lawmakers, the Polish foreign ministry said. Kaczynski's wife, Maria, also died.

The Polish military suffered the deepest losses. Among the dead were the army chief of staff, the navy chief commander, and heads of the air and land forces.

Sad loss for the Poles. It's hard to imagine Barack and Michelle, Clinton, Geithner, Gates, Napolitano, Pelosi, and 85 other senators, bureaucrats, and Pentagon officials all dying in a plane crash. Regardless of your political leanings, this would be a crushing void to fill for any nation.

Poland's leadership structure is devastated. It's incredible that they were all on the same flight. DC Tom mentioned above the budgetary differences between the USA and Poland, which likely played a role in having so many top bureaucrats on the same plane. And they were travelling to a rather remote area, it wasn't as if they were catching flights to JFK. In addition to the President, deaths included:

Sad loss for the Poles. It's hard to imagine Barack and Michelle, Clinton, Geithner, Gates, Napolitano, Pelosi, and 85 other senators, bureaucrats, and Pentagon officials all dying in a plane crash. Regardless of your political leanings, this would be a crushing void to fill for any nation.

Not that I would wish death on anyone but losing any of them would be an improvement.

Not that I would wish death on anyone but losing any of them would be an improvement.

Yes the next guys would certainly have your personal best interests in mind. :ph34r: Take care of yourself, don't wait for the talking asses in expensive suits to do it for you.

I was merely commenting on the upheaval caused and challenges faced when losing your top 6 dignitaries in the power pyramid, plus 80 other top-level bureaucrats. As prepared as any nation could possibly be, there just isn't a contingency plan for that. The USA may have something on paper as to who assumes what command, but it wouldn't go swimmingly in any nation, here or Poland or elsewhere.

Yes the next guys would certainly have your personal best interests in mind. :ph34r: Take care of yourself, don't wait for the talking asses in expensive suits to do it for you.

I was merely commenting on the upheaval caused and challenges faced when losing your top 6 dignitaries in the power pyramid, plus 80 other top-level bureaucrats. As prepared as any nation could possibly be, there just isn't a contingency plan for that. The USA may have something on paper as to who assumes what command, but it wouldn't go swimmingly in any nation, here or Poland or elsewhere.

This is what has me in awe.