Clevelands trade for S. Brown

It was widely believed that Joe Haden was a very likely choice for Cle round 1, but now that they have acquired Sheldon Brown, that clearly isnt likely going to happen. So, who is the new likely pick instead of Haden?

My guess is that if Eric Berry isnt selected by KC (who I hope takes Berry instead of an OT) then he would surely be the pick. However, there is speculation that KC or Sea could take Berry, if they do, that would be great for us as that surely pushes at least one more tackle down the board as Cle isnt taking an OT.

The three most likely picks I think will be Berry, Claussen, and Spiller depending on whos available. I think Berry and Claussen will be gone, so Spiller seems to me the most likely. That definitely hurts our chances of trading down as I cant see anyone trading to our 9 spot to get anyone else other than one of those 3.

However, if all 3 of those guys go ahead of us, along with Suh, Bradford, Okung, and McCoy...then we shouldnt be looking to trade down as we will have a pretty good pick of the OT's as I think Raiders go Campbell because they love those workout warriors. So we can choose between Bulaga and Trent as to who the staff likes better.

Thoughts?

I am pretty well convinced that Seattle will take a LT. They just traded for (and spent money on) a young QB, and they need to protect him. They're not going to take Spiller. I also don't think Pioli was blowing smoke when he questioned taking a safety in the top 10 - I think he really believes that. I'm concerned that the Chiefs will take Bulaga, with the thought that between Bulaga and Albert they'll have a solid tackle combination for the next decade (and don't forget the Ferenz-Patriots connection). I also think that the Raiders are eyeing Trent Williams at 8. In other words, I'm very, very worried that the Bills will be left holding the bag once again, with a choice between the fourth best LT (Davis - a significant "bust" potential) or a reach pick.

I hope I'm wrong...

I am pretty well convinced that Seattle will take a LT. They just traded for (and spent money on) a young QB, and they need to protect him. They're not going to take Spiller. I also don't think Pioli was blowing smoke when he questioned taking a safety in the top 10 - I think he really believes that. I'm concerned that the Chiefs will take Bulaga, with the thought that between Bulaga and Albert they'll have a solid tackle combination for the next decade (and don't forget the Ferenz-Patriots connection). I also think that the Raiders are eyeing Trent Williams at 8. In other words, I'm very, very worried that the Bills will be left holding the bag once again, with a choice between the fourth best LT (Davis - a significant "bust" potential) or a reach pick.

I hope I'm wrong...

you are 100 percent correct. now i hope im wrong

I hope I'm wrong...

Why wouldn't Seattle take Spiller? Who is their running back, Julius Jones or something?

Why wouldn't Seattle take Spiller? Who is their running back, Julius Jones or something?

Because you can find a RB anywhere in the draft, you don't need to spend a top ten pick on one; your RB is meaningless if he isn't protected by a solid line; and they have another 1st round pick a few picks later and he still may be on the board then (but the LTs will all be gone). They won't be picking Spiller with their first pick.

Thoughts?

If Haden somehow falls a fair amount, CIN will grab him. They would love to be able to move CB Leon Hall to FS. I would be surprised if they made a large move up, though, to obtain him.

Speaking of CIN - they may have an eye on M. Pouncey, or one of the rated DEs. I shake my head at the years and years of the pundits predicting a TE pick - their idiot OC never shows that he involves them as anything but a blocker first. I'm still surprised they didn't make a play for Robt. Royal.

CIN's sitting pretty in what's being billed as a deep draft - 3rd rnd, 4th round comp pick after losing qb Fitz, wr TJ Housh, T/G Stacey Andrews. WR Coles was cut and signed before the league year started, so he didn't count in the calculations.

I hope I'm wrong...

I don't believe in a reach if you need a player. For instance, I would rather draft Dan Williams than the 4th LT at number 9. Williams is said to be a possibility to Denver and Miami two or three picks after the Bills select. So get him. He's a true NT and the Bills need one. I wouldn't even mind Spiller unlike most on the board. Can get LT in 2nd round.

It was widely believed that Joe Haden was a very likely choice for Cle round 1, but now that they have acquired Sheldon Brown, that clearly isnt likely going to happen. So, who is the new likely pick instead of Haden?

My guess is that if Eric Berry isnt selected by KC (who I hope takes Berry instead of an OT) then he would surely be the pick. However, there is speculation that KC or Sea could take Berry, if they do, that would be great for us as that surely pushes at least one more tackle down the board as Cle isnt taking an OT.

The three most likely picks I think will be Berry, Claussen, and Spiller depending on whos available. I think Berry and Claussen will be gone, so Spiller seems to me the most likely. That definitely hurts our chances of trading down as I cant see anyone trading to our 9 spot to get anyone else other than one of those 3.

However, if all 3 of those guys go ahead of us, along with Suh, Bradford, Okung, and McCoy...then we shouldnt be looking to trade down as we will have a pretty good pick of the OT's as I think Raiders go Campbell because they love those workout warriors. So we can choose between Bulaga and Trent as to who the staff likes better.

Thoughts?

See the column from a week and a half ago about Scott Pioli's theory about never drafting safeties early in the first round.

I don't believe in a reach if you need a player. For instance, I would rather draft Dan Williams than the 4th LT at number 9. Williams is said to be a possibility to Denver and Miami two or three picks after the Bills select. So get him. He's a true NT and the Bills need one. I wouldn't even mind Spiller unlike most on the board. Can get LT in 2nd round.

Agreed - he'd be a good pick.

Thoughts?

Brown was just an add on to get Gocong. I am not convinced that Cleveland won't take Haden, who is MUCH better than Brown.

See the column from a week and a half ago about Scott Pioli's theory about never drafting safeties early in the first round.

I see what he says, but that is very misleading in my opinion as there have been great safeties like Ed Reed drafted early. The thing is that safeties are so rarely picked at the top that it is tough to say that there is strong enough statistical evidence due to the lack of data. I would state that you could judge better on his argument if more safeties were drafted that high. That said, he used that Sean Taylor wasn't a game changer which I would disagree with.

I hope I'm wrong...

Clausen. Dan Williams. Both would be great picks, depending on who is there.

I personally like Berry, but amongst NFL Scouts and NFL teams there seems to be some split decisions on him. They've pointed to his somewhat poor tackling as a weakpoint. If he was the consensus #1, can't miss safety I could see him as a lock for top 8, but at this point I don't see it. I think it's likely Eric Berry will be on the board when we pick.