There's drilling and then there's drilling....

3/10

Gov. Bob McDonnell signed into law Wednesday offshore drilling legislation intended to realize his goal of making Virginia the East Coast's energy superpower.

The bills supporting offshore oil and gas exploration and directing royalties from drilling back to Virginia each hinge on actions by the federal government and Congress.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar is expected to announce his decision soon whether the government will move forward with the sale of oil and gas leases in a triangular tract 50 miles off of the Virginia coast. The 2.9 million acres has an estimated 130 million barrels of oil and 1.1 trillion cubic feet of natural gas.

Environmental groups argue Virginia should be promoting offshore wind, which by some estimates state could ultimately provide all of Virginia's electricity needs. Two energy providers have already filed applications to build wind turbines 12 miles off of Virginia Beach.

One of the bills signed by McDonnell would direct royalties from the drilling back to Virginia, with 70 percent going to a transportation trust fund

From what I've heard the envir"mental"al groups are loading up for bear

Drilling rigs or windmills, we got it all right here... :thumbsup:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

May be a contradiction from his campaign well over a year ago. Like any good President, things change and so should their stance based on what's good for the country as a whole. I too agree with drilling.

Oh sorry 3rdning did you expect me to be like Al Gore and say no to drilling? Ooops!

So, what has changed since his campaign statements as it pertains to drilling? Did I expect you to be like Al Gore and say no to drilling? Didn't give it much thought. In retrospect, I guess I would have expected you to say something stupid though.

So, what has changed since his campaign statements as it pertains to drilling? Did I expect you to be like Al Gore and say no to drilling? Didn't give it much thought. In retrospect, I guess I would have expected you to say something stupid though.

As I expect you to hit talking points. Keep up the good work. :bag: Oh sorry, you are independent. My bad. :thumbsup:

As I expect you to hit talking points. Keep up the good work. :bag: Oh sorry, you are independent. My bad. :thumbsup:

So, specifically what talking points did I use in the post you quoted? I guess you might have been referring to just this board and the talking point you mentioned was the one about calling you stupid. Was that it?

So, specifically what talking points did I use in the post you quoted? I guess you might have been referring to just this board and the talking point you mentioned was the one about calling you stupid. Was that it?

I'm just waiting for something from Glen Beck or Sarah Palin to come next.

Typical liberal tool. The only time you were ever tied down on something must have been.......I just don't want to go there.

When I'm on top of your... no, I don't want to go there either.

So since I am your "typical liberal"... give me some items that a "typical liberal" would like and I'll you let you know if I agree or not.

May be a contradiction from his campaign well over a year ago. Like any good President, things change and so should their stance based on what's good for the country as a whole. I too agree with drilling.

Oh sorry 3rdning did you expect me to be like Al Gore and say no to drilling? Ooops!

What changed regarding off shore drilling from one year ago. Confine yourself to the question.

zzzzzzzzzzz Two years ago he said he'd entertain the option.

You're just pissy because you agree with it and it kills you.

I'm not crazy about the idea, particularly if it benefits big oil and wingnut states. I'm willing to bet the litigation that will no doubt ensue will end up in less drilling for petroleum and more for natural gas.

I'm not crazy about the idea, particularly if it benefits big oil and wingnut states. I'm willing to bet the litigation that will no doubt ensue will end up in less drilling for petroleum and more for natural gas.

So anything that benefits "wingnut" states is bad in your opinion? You never cease to amaze.

Which will be great, considering that the fracturing methods for recovering natural gas reserves are environmentally nightmarish. Recovering the oil would be safer.

Modern environmentalists are idiots. :thumbsup:

So he was for it before he was against it before he was for it?

Jesus, he makes John Kerry look like a reliable decision-maker.

Believe it or not. I don't go by talking points. I do love that though. Thank you always good for a laugh.

I'm not as Liberal as people believe.

I'm really against the whole signature quote thing, but this is pretty damn tempting.

What changed regarding off shore drilling from one year ago. Confine yourself to the question.

I am still not really interested in drilling in ANWR. However, I have never been totally against offshore drilling. Hell it will do a lot for Virginia and Maryland (once they buy into it). As long as it's done with minimal impact on the environment have at it.

I am hoping that they will still have a push for green energy - wind turbines, etc. Which would be another great item to be done offshore.