What is the deal with Dez Bryant?

Peter

those times will hurt big time......

Disagree - I would bet he is the first WR taken. Excellent route runner and strong hands. His playing wieght in the NFL will be 220 or so - playing speed is much faster than the 40 time. I would be more concerned about his muntal disposition - he is another Mershawn....

I've always wondered if some players, especially WRs dog it at pro days and the combine to be drafted lower, to hook up with a solid franchise.

I realize they lose upfront money by doing this. However, would you rather play on say the Rams or Lions, and be a good player because you're talented, but due to the limitations of your supporting cast, coaching, etc., you don't get the passes and touchdowns you would if say you dropped to the Patriots, etc where you have a quarterback who can get the ball to you, the team is playoff caliber, and where you could put up significant stats leading to a healthy payday.

As someone who has watched every down of his college career and followed him closely the "character" concerns are a little overblown. We aren't talking about a kid who has been in trouble with the law. Are there some maturity issues? Sure but more along the lines of horrible upbringing (when he was born his mom was 15 and his dad was in his 40s, mom has been in and out of jail all his life) than being a bad kid. When most people talk about Dez it is not that he is a bad kid, he just has had little guidance. The whole being late to games is a complete fabrication. How can you be late to a game? The teams stays together the night before the game at a hotel. These guys are on complete lock down before games.

In Dez's 2 and a half years at OSU there was not one peep about him being a character concern or behind the scenes issues until the NCAA problems. Even then it is important to note Dez didn't break any rules. He got suspended for lieing. All in all he seems like a good kid who had no guidance before college and little since.

As far as his workouts, his 40 was about what I thought. At 6-2, 220 a 4.5 isn't bad, he's never been a real burner. His cone drills were horrible but his explosion drills (vertical, 10-yard dash and broad jump) were pretty good. He also looked good catching the ball.

Do I think he is a top-10 pick? Not really but to me he is by far the No. 1 WR in the draft. As long as you've got a solid organization I really don't worry about him too much.

As someone who has watched every down of his college career and followed him closely the "character" concerns are a little overblown. We aren't talking about a kid who has been in trouble with the law. Are there some maturity issues? Sure but more along the lines of horrible upbringing (when he was born his mom was 15 and his dad was in his 40s, mom has been in and out of jail all his life) than being a bad kid. When most people talk about Dez it is not that he is a bad kid, he just has had little guidance. The whole being late to games is a complete fabrication. How can you be late to a game? The teams stays together the night before the game at a hotel. These guys are on complete lock down before games.

In Dez's 2 and a half years at OSU there was not one peep about him being a character concern or behind the scenes issues until the NCAA problems. Even then it is important to note Dez didn't break any rules. He got suspended for lieing. All in all he seems like a good kid who had no guidance before college and little since.

As far as his workouts, his 40 was about what I thought. At 6-2, 220 a 4.5 isn't bad, he's never been a real burner. His cone drills were horrible but his explosion drills (vertical, 10-yard dash and broad jump) were pretty good. He also looked good catching the ball.

Do I think he is a top-10 pick? Not really but to me he is by far the No. 1 WR in the draft. As long as you've got a solid organization I really don't worry about him too much.

I was watching the NFL Network last night and they discussed a lot of the points that you are bringing up. Apparently, he has never been in trouble with the law. He has issues with maturity and being responsible. He is a 20 year old kid that did not grow up in the same kind of household that I grew up in or that my kids are growing up in. I hope that this kid gets some guidance in his life. By all accounts, he is a talented WR. He is going to make a lot of money (wherever he gets drafted). I hope (for his sake) he does not blow it.

Also, want to add the kid played his guts out every saturday. I don't remember a whole lot of players in my lifetime who have played as hard as he did game in and game out for OSU. He does have some maturity issues but those never crossed over to the football field.

Do you have experience as a general manager?

Doesn't matter...Bryant has trouble written all over him...Did you see his reactions during the workout? I thought he was going to throw a hissy fit or start crying when he was not laughing about screwing up the Drills...I'm not certain his mental makup is ideal at this time...he seems awefully full of himself...Just My observation though...

The Kid shows up at Pacmans workout to offer moral support... :rolleyes:

His times are average...He can jump though...He's a decent talent...But I don't think you need to be a GM to know there is trouble with this one...Seems like mostly maturity trouble...We'll see how he does over the next few years though... :D

More on Dez....sounds like he's getting ready to blow, although he's got a point about the absurd levels of pre-draft scrutiny.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-d...p&type=lgns

“What do this got to do with me playing football? Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? I don’t think it has anything to do with me playing football.”

I guess he doesn't see the absurdity of his statement there. Also, IIRC he's the guy who wasn't allowed to have his pro day at his alma mater. There is a problem Dez, and the more you deny it or don't see it the worse it is for you. JMO

He even defends his decision to work out with Adam “Pacman” Jones, who was suspended for the entire 2007 season after a series of off-the-field incidents.

“Why down talk the man? The man did everything right. He’s working out. He’s doing good. What happened in the past was the past. That’s just like anybody else. If they did something wrong, they would be looking for a second chance.”

With all of the questions surrounding him he still goes and trains with Pacman. Not very smart at all. He should be distancing himself from guys like that. Not embracing them. JMO

“What do this got to do with me playing football? Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? I don’t think it has anything to do with me playing football.”

I guess he doesn't see the absurdity of his statement there. Also, IIRC he's the guy who wasn't allowed to have his pro day at his alma mater. There is a problem Dez, and the more you deny it or don't see it the worse it is for you. JMO

He even defends his decision to work out with Adam “Pacman” Jones, who was suspended for the entire 2007 season after a series of off-the-field incidents.

“Why down talk the man? The man did everything right. He’s working out. He’s doing good. What happened in the past was the past. That’s just like anybody else. If they did something wrong, they would be looking for a second chance.”

With all of the questions surrounding him he still goes and trains with Pacman. Not very smart at all. He should be distancing himself from guys like that. Not embracing them. JMO

Great points. Does anyone know why he didn't hold his pro day at his college? How does a guy with character concerns going into the draft, associate himself openly with Pacman Jones?

I would certainly hesitate in handing this kid millions of dollars and asking him to make good choices.