Edwards Speaks

5 Wide

"I think first and foremost I needed to stay healthy. I think I took some hits I probably should have tried to avoid. There were some games that didn’t go the way we needed to. The ball didn’t bounce our way. There were plays left out on the field. It’s tough. Football’s a team sport. Obviously the quarterback’s the one they’re going to look at to put the blame on. Obviously I was that person that took a lot of the blame last year and rightfully so. I can definitely take that. Looking back on it injuries were something I needed to change and hopefully I can physically maintain myself next year."

No wonder he's not a Bills fan.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh brother.

Injury prone? Did you see the crushing he took when he got hurt? Part of me wold love to see how some of the haters would react if they got the sh*t kicked out of them the way TE did (especially by those Jet defenders when he got hurt).

As for the rest, I believe the guy can play provided he gets some protection. To state this conversely, if we do not improve the line, it does not make too much difference who is back there.

Edwards has not shown that he can play a season without injury. How many hits has Brett Favre taken? P. Manning? since they've missed a game? What about Rivers, how's he done? Rodgers took a bucketload of hits. Brees?

He does not have what it takes to win consistently in the NFL. This I know. The sooner he's gone the better.

Back him all you want, but realize you're backing a loser (when it comes to playing QB in the NFL).

Listen buddy. I disagree with you. I have tried to be civil with you and you resort to calling me an idiot and that I should have my Dad look at it blah blah blah. Clearly, I struck a nerve.

You don't want to engage in the facts.

-Trent opens the quote by saying, "I think first and foremost I needed to stay healthy. I think I took some hits I probably should have tried to avoid."

-You mention the Jets game and I provided a video from that game which clearly shows that he was in the wrong. The quote he gave, could have been played over that clip it fits so perfectly.

-You watch it and deduce that he had 2 seconds which is completely dishonest.

-You also said that if he would've checked down that we would have killed him. Still trying to figure that one out. Are you saying he didn't throw it out fear of being ridiculed? Explain that one please?

No nerve, I just can't believe someone could be so dishonest. It's okay to be wrong sometimes buddy.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/201...nt-on-2010.html

"I think first and foremost I needed to stay healthy. I think I took some hits I probably should have tried to avoid. There were some games that didn’t go the way we needed to. The ball didn’t bounce our way. There were plays left out on the field. It’s tough. Football’s a team sport. Obviously the quarterback’s the one they’re going to look at to put the blame on. Obviously I was that person that took a lot of the blame last year and rightfully so. I can definitely take that. Looking back on it injuries were something I needed to change and hopefully I can physically maintain myself next year."

Yup.. Injuries were all he needed to change last year.....

Obviously he's been reading Bledsoe's old press statements. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Excellent interview.

The most interesting part was when he said

"Yeah we sucked balls last year .... what more can I say...I mean, watch the videos. I might add that Jauron didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground so we just tried to play it off with arrogance and ignorance..."

"...Yeah, having said that, I think we should just leave that nauseation in the past because I'm fired up as hell and ready to kick some !@#$ing ass this year...for my teammates...well, these boys best be ready to play or GTF out....let me add one more thing... the afterburners are coming on and they ain't going off this year baby...That's right...the **** is about to hit the fan."

Any thoughts about Maybin..."Yeah, he needs to quit being a twitter tweetin B word and stay focused on what it takes to remain employed..."

Wow, sounds like Trent means business.

You don't want to engage in the facts.

-Trent opens the quote by saying, "I think first and foremost I needed to stay healthy. I think I took some hits I probably should have tried to avoid."

-You mention the Jets game and I provided a video from that game which clearly shows that he was in the wrong. The quote he gave, could have been played over that clip it fits so perfectly.

-You watch it and deduce that he had 2 seconds which is completely dishonest.

-You also said that if he would've checked down that we would have killed him. Still trying to figure that one out. Are you saying he didn't throw it out fear of being ridiculed? Explain that one please?

No nerve, I just can't believe someone could be so dishonest. It's okay to be wrong sometimes buddy.

The pocket breaks down in two seconds. That is the way I see it (at the risk of you calling me a liar again). The protection was piss poor -- as it was for the entire season. That play is a great example of just how bad the line was that they could not protect the QB on a 3 step drop.

I have no problem with him throwing the ball away. You missed my point. You are saying that he should have thrown the ball away. Fine. Again, I would not have had a problem with that (notwithstanding that on that particular play he was under extreme duress and may have been concerned with the ball being batted out of his hand). The point was (which you apparently missed) is that whenever he threw the ball away or went to the underneath receiver or outlet, he got branded as check down charlie etc. (as people are posting today - and nearly every day on this board). He is damned if does and damned if he doesn't on this board.

The fact of the matter is that Edwards could have very easily complained about the lack of protection (both at the pc today and last season). Instead, he stood up like a man and took the heat and said that he could have played better etc. He is a classy guy and easy to root for.

Having said that, I just want the Bills to win and have no particular vested interest in Trent or anyone else. Even though I now live in Miami, I continue to be a season ticket holder (as my family has been since the inception of the franchise). The past decade has been a lost decade for the Bills. I would love to see this team turn it around - whoever the friggen QB is.

I just hate it when guys get on this board and say that he is afraid or fragile etc. I could not disagree more. It took a lot of guts for anyone to play behind that line (especially with our collection of fourth string tackles). I also think that he can play. We obviously disagree on that one.

Nevertheless, unless and until the Bills win the battles on the line of scrimmage, it is not going to make any difference who the QB is back there.

“I like the way he carried himself in the meetings,” said Trent Edwards. “Just getting the chance to sit down with him I feel like he’s a confident coach. He’s an offensive tough-minded coach who wants to run the football and throw the football and run a balanced attack.”

DDUUUHHHH!!!! Isn't that what offenses do? Run the football and throw the football? God help us!

This is the place! We hate injury prone QB's who won't throw the ball down the middle of the field. We hate QB's who checkdown every throw. We hate QB's who have zero confidence. Some here even hate QB's who are from California (which is insane)!

Join us, you'll be enlightened.

Other than Reed who didn't see the field much, can you enlighten me as to the receivers that went over the middle to throw to? Oh that's right none.... Aligator arms Evans and mister oops I dropped the ball Owens don't know what a hash mark is to cross.

Other than Reed who didn't see the field much, can you enlighten me as to the receivers that went over the middle to throw to? Oh that's right none.... Aligator arms Evans and mister oops I dropped the ball Owens don't know what a hash mark is to cross.

I don't even know where to go with this. Are you saying that a professional football team did not run routes over the middle last season?

Do you think that a slot reciever is the only WR to run routes over the middle? I mean.... I'm speechless...

I just hate it when guys get on this board and say that he is afraid or fragile etc. I could not disagree more. It took a lot of guts for anyone to play behind that line (especially with our collection of fourth string tackles). I also think that he can play. We obviously disagree on that one.

He is afraid of throwing the ball in tight spots and the injuries that he's accumulated over his career (including college) say that he's fragile/injury prone. If he plays this year, he will fail again and you will have to come to grips with the fact that the guy is just not that good.

I do think we can agree on something, The Beatles are awesome.

I don't even know where to go with this. Are you saying that a professional football team did not run routes over the middle last season?

Do you think that a slot reciever is the only WR to run routes over the middle? I mean.... I'm speechless...

Guess what they didn't. you maybe speechless, but it's pretty much true. Talk to Alex and Dickie J.

You're right on the mark here. I'm reading the same thing as everyone here suggesting he's DJ2, dull, failing to take the blame and all I see is this:

Obviously I was that person that took a lot of the blame last year and rightfully so. I can definitely take that.

If you want a pound of flesh from the guy, fine. But if you want the whole truth, that would include Trent saying:

The offense has been a mess since I've been here.

The offense was a mess with me in the games.

The offense was a mess with me on the sidelines.

The offensive line was very inexperienced to start the year and that didn't help.

The offensive line looked different pretty much every week and that didn't help.

The head coach cutting a starter right before the season didn't help.

The head coach firing the offensive coordinator 72 hours before the pats game didn't help.

Having a rookie offensive coordinator learning on-the-job didn't help.

The fact that our #2 running back was suspended to start bthe season didn't help offensive continuity.

I'd bet many wouldn't like that either, but it's the truth.

I'm all for letting Chan Gailey figure this out. If he can get us some good qb play out of any of the three guys on the roster, great. I'm ok with a qb being happy to play for a guy who knows how to run an offense. I've seen enough crappy offensive football to last a lifetime, and that's just from last year.

:thumbsup:

The pocket breaks down in two seconds. That is the way I see it (at the risk of you calling me a liar again). The protection was piss poor -- as it was for the entire season. That play is a great example of just how bad the line was that they could not protect the QB on a 3 step drop.

I have no problem with him throwing the ball away. You missed my point. You are saying that he should have thrown the ball away. Fine. Again, I would not have had a problem with that (notwithstanding that on that particular play he was under extreme duress and may have been concerned with the ball being batted out of his hand). The point was (which you apparently missed) is that whenever he threw the ball away or went to the underneath receiver or outlet, he got branded as check down charlie etc. (as people are posting today - and nearly every day on this board). He is damned if does and damned if he doesn't on this board.

The fact of the matter is that Edwards could have very easily complained about the lack of protection (both at the pc today and last season). Instead, he stood up like a man and took the heat and said that he could have played better etc. He is a classy guy and easy to root for.

Having said that, I just want the Bills to win and have no particular vested interest in Trent or anyone else. Even though I now live in Miami, I continue to be a season ticket holder (as my family has been since the inception of the franchise). The past decade has been a lost decade for the Bills. I would love to see this team turn it around - whoever the friggen QB is.

Nevertheless, unless and until the Bills win the battles on the line of scrimmage, it is not going to make any difference who the QB is back there.

Not sure what clip you're watching, but the ball is snapped at 0:15 of the video, and the defenders dont get to him until 0:18-0:19. He's easily got 3.5 seconds to throw, but he simply does nothing. Trent sucks, turtles at any sign of pressure, and refuses to throw the ball unless a WR is wide open. There's no reason to believe he'll ever get any better.

And there's no arguing about the video clip. He's got at least 3.5 seconds to get rid of the ball. Its called counting.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/201...nt-on-2010.html

Yup.. Injuries were all he needed to change last year.....

He didn't say that.

"injuries were something I needed to change." Doesn't mean there weren't other things.

"There were plays left out on the field." What more does the guy have to say? He missed opportunities and he knew it.

"I was that person that took a lot of the blame last year and rightfully so." Again, what more does he have to say?

I'm not a big Trent fan, but what he said here was fine.

You're right on the mark here. I'm reading the same thing as everyone here suggesting he's DJ2, dull, failing to take the blame and all I see is this:

Obviously I was that person that took a lot of the blame last year and rightfully so. I can definitely take that.

If you want a pound of flesh from the guy, fine. But if you want the whole truth, that would include Trent saying:

The offense has been a mess since I've been here.

The offense was a mess with me in the games.

The offense was a mess with me on the sidelines.

The offensive line was very inexperienced to start the year and that didn't help.

The offensive line looked different pretty much every week and that didn't help.

The head coach cutting a starter right before the season didn't help.

The head coach firing the offensive coordinator 72 hours before the pats game didn't help.

Having a rookie offensive coordinator learning on-the-job didn't help.

The fact that our #2 running back was suspended to start bthe season didn't help offensive continuity.

I'd bet many wouldn't like that either, but it's the truth.

I'm all for letting Chan Gailey figure this out. If he can get us some good qb play out of any of the three guys on the roster, great. I'm ok with a qb being happy to play for a guy who knows how to run an offense. I've seen enough crappy offensive football to last a lifetime, and that's just from last year.

Couldn't have said it better...

Not sure what clip you're watching, but the ball is snapped at 0:15 of the video, and the defenders dont get to him until 0:18-0:19. He's easily got 3.5 seconds to throw, but he simply does nothing. Trent sucks, turtles at any sign of pressure, and refuses to throw the ball unless a WR is wide open. There's no reason to believe he'll ever get any better.

And there's no arguing about the video clip. He's got at least 3.5 seconds to get rid of the ball. Its called counting.

Operative words - "pocket breaks down"

Guess what they didn't. you maybe speechless, but it's pretty much true. Talk to Alex and Dickie J.

I guess your signature quote says all I need to know about you (I fixed it too):

"Your logic should really be documented. It is so amazingly assinine sometimes that I really feel other people outside of TBD are really missing out here"

AND

ok...i actually took out the stop watch.....trent has 3 full seconds to get rid of the ball.....he gets back in his 3-step drop quickly but doesn't throw on timing....which happens.

On one hand, obviously John is pinning it all on Trent, which is not completely realistic.

On the other hand, how can you look at the play and not see what happens here. To call the blocking piss poor is ignoring the play itself.

At the snap, the jets rush (blitz) 5. The bills have 6 in to handle the 5 defenders with our tight end isolated on the Jets Left DE. The O-line doesn't seem to expect the 5 initial blitzers and the center and left guard both ignore a defender who gets in between them, though the center does attempt (gulp) to tackle the missed blitzer. The Tight End vs DE is the point of vulnerability so Freddie is kept in to either chip/assist with the LDE or release. Unfortunately, the Jets delay-blitz 2 more defenders and while Freddie steps up and takes the first delayed blitzer effectively, everyone else is already engaged. One delayed blitzer goes in untouched at about the same time the LDE comes free from our tight end.

The point here is that 7 defenders are committed to the blitz in the first 2 seconds of the play. The Bills have 7 guys in for protection (8 including trent) which means 3 are out in pass patterns against 4 defenders. Assuming one defender in coverage is the deep safety, it is a 3 on 3 drill.

The Jets D had a good call on, Trent did not pull the trigger/the WRs didn't read the play or get open. its the perfect storm.

I see the Bills blitz all of the time, the difference is that the opposing QB either makes time, or gets rid of the ball (or occasionally takes a sack).

ok...i actually took out the stop watch.....trent has 3 full seconds to get rid of the ball.....he gets back in his 3-step drop quickly but doesn't throw on timing....which happens.

On one hand, obviously John is pinning it all on Trent, which is not completely realistic.

On the other hand, how can you look at the play and not see what happens here. To call the blocking piss poor is ignoring the play itself.

At the snap, the jets rush (blitz) 5. The bills have 6 in to handle the 5 defenders with our tight end isolated on the Jets Left DE. The O-line doesn't seem to expect the 5 initial blitzers and the center and left guard both ignore a defender who gets in between them, though the center does attempt (gulp) to tackle the missed blitzer. The Tight End vs DE is the point of vulnerability so Freddie is kept in to either chip/assist with the LDE or release. Unfortunately, the Jets delay-blitz 2 more defenders and while Freddie steps up and takes the first delayed blitzer effectively, everyone else is already engaged. One delayed blitzer goes in untouched at about the same time the LDE comes free from our tight end.

The point here is that 7 defenders are committed to the blitz in the first 2 seconds of the play. The Bills have 7 guys in for protection (8 including trent) which means 3 are out in pass patterns against 4 defenders. Assuming one defender in coverage is the deep safety, it is a 3 on 3 drill.

The Jets D had a good call on, Trent did not pull the trigger/the WRs didn't read the play or get open. its the perfect storm.

I see the Bills blitz all of the time, the difference is that the opposing QB either makes time, or gets rid of the ball (or occasionally takes a sack).

You and I see a lot of the same things, but our points of emphasis are slightly different. The way I see it, Levitre (unfortunately) ignored his guy to help D. Bell. That guy shot between Hangartner and Levitre. Hangartner then tried to block Levitre's guy who blew up the play two seconds after the snap. At 17, you can see that Hangartner and his man look like they are about to roll over on to Trent who then tries to move away from the pressure. By this time, however, our tight end is abused by Pace (I believe) who shoots in just before the delayed blitzer shoots up the middle.

In my view, the mistake was made when Levitre left his man to help Bell (typically linemen are taught to block from the inside out). Hangartner tried to help, but was not able to (he did not have the angle and was not quick enough to get over there to block the guy who came through the space that Levitre vacated).

My two cents.

No matter what, there will always be Trent supporters. I respect their opinion, and they're entitled to it, but i have to disagree. I just can't stand his dull and uninspired attitude. I don't want someone like that leading the Buffalo Bills. It's obvious that he has had a mostly unfavorable supporting cast and it's possible that things could have been different. But he's damaged goods now. It's time to move on.