Bradford's workout leaves crowd in awe.

papazoid

????

Reed was one of the more sure-handed of the Bills receivers. He was great in the clutch and really started to come into his own in the past few years, going over the middle for catches. Frankly, I'd have rather seen them get rid of Hardy.

His "own" and his prime passed like two ships in the night. Early in his career, when the team was actually competitive without playing not to lose, he dropped far more passes than a short route possession receiver should.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just don't understand the NFL draft process! so because this guy has a great workout in his gym gear he is a number one overall prospect now? but only weeks before he was lucky to go in the 1st round-don't get it

The only reason his stock was low was because no one had seen him throw since his second shoulder injury. He has always had 1st round talent, teams just questioned his injury.

It now appears that the chance of Bradford being drafted #1 overall is roughly 100 percent. I suspect that a deal will get done prior to the draft, and sooner rather than later. St. Louis can't really play him off against another potential pick because no one in their right minds thinks there's a chance they'd take one of those other guys. Everyone knows that St. Louis has to -- and of course will -- take Bradford.

This is the scRams.

The Kid made the point in another thread (edit: earlier in this thread): Even if the Bills were inclined to move up to the first pick for Bradford, what are the chances that the Rams would actually trade out of that position?

They may view Sam Bradford as the next Peyton Manning. And the Rams need a quarterback.

If the Bills made that attempt, which I think is highly doubtful, they would have to pay a King's ransom for the right to draft Bradford.

Too many people here think that any player can be traded for. It's just not true. I doubt any team could have pried Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, John Elway, Tom Brady or any other franchise QB away from their teams while in the prime of their careers.

If the scRams are convinced he's a franchise QB it will take more than what the draft value chart says is fair. If it were me in charge, I'd hold out for this years first rounder, the next two years first rounders and a second this year and a third in the two years after that.

ut oh....things just got interesting......Bradford won't sign "pre-draft" :

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...draft-contract/

I really hate this kind of :thumbsup: from players but I guess he really doesn't want to be a scRam. If the scRams find out he doesn't want to play for them they'd be smarter to take a trade, JMO. Bradford would eventually have to sign with StL if they turned the screws but why do that if a guy doesn't want to play there? A draft and trade seems stupid. If the scRams can trade the pick prior to the draft then the new team may be able to work out a deal before the draft. I think the pick for Bradford is worth more than Bradford.

I definitely do not want Clausen. He was throwing to a thouroughbred receiver playing against a bunch of crap.

Im still on board with loading up with linemen and linebackers... making development the primary goal for this season, using a stopgap QB that could be Edwards or Fitz... Then draft the top QB next year and not have to trade anything for him.

I think Edwards still should be given one more chance. He may surprise and, IMO, if they need to get a QB next year it will give that guy a better chance to succeed behind a better OL. (Assuming they draft OL)

????

Reed was one of the more sure-handed of the Bills receivers. He was great in the clutch and really started to come into his own in the past few years, going over the middle for catches. Frankly, I'd have rather seen them get rid of Hardy.

I didn't want to see Reed go either but how do you know he's better than Hardy? Hardy hasn't really had a chance to show anything yet.

His "own" and his prime passed like two ships in the night. Early in his career, when the team was actually competitive without playing not to lose, he dropped far more passes than a short route possession receiver should.

WOW revisionist recollection there buddy!

I believe Reed has been in the leauge for 10 seasons and he only had a questionable 2nd year as far as dropped passes goes. He has proven himself as one of the better receivers in the leauge against a zone defense.

As far as Hardy goes we have NO IDEA what he is capable of.

I do remember that he seemed to disapoint his rookie year with his route running and comprehension of the offense. Last year he was hurt for much of the season and we never had a good look at him.

Allow me to expound on my earlier statement to clear up any ambiguity.

First, the basics:

1) The biggest hole on the Bills is a lack of a franchise QB. It's a more important need than LT, NT, LB, WR or RB. You can't win a championship in the NFL without a premier, franchise QB. The league has changed in the past decade to a pass first league and the Bills won't be contenders until they get the QB position fixed.

2) This does not mean I think the Bills should draft a QB just to fill a hole. If the front office doesn't believe a legit franchise QB is available in this draft, then by all means, address the glaring needs at LT, NT, LB, and WR.

3) I am NOT a QB expert or evaluator. I have no idea if Bradford will be a franchise QB or a franchise killer.

4) Because I'm not a QB expert, I defer my faith to Nix and the front office. Meaning, that I will trust their judgment.

5) NEVERGIVESUP, our resident insider to the workings at OBD, said that the only QB the Bills' have with a first round grade is Bradford. I believe NGU to be sincere as his batting average is well over 900 at the moment.

6) If the front office believes that Bradford IS the next Peyton Manning (which is NOT what NGU said, he merely said they have a first round grade on him) -- then giving up 2 #1s and a 3rd (or whatever the value chart says) is one million percent worth it EVEN THOUGH this team has multiple holes. Why? Because finding a franchise QB is a whole heck of a lot harder than finding good LTs, NTs, LBs and WRS ... and infinitely more important.

7) That said, the Rams may not want to trade the pick ... which of course is out of the Bills' control.

That's the line of thought, broken down in 7 easy to follow steps. If the Bills feel that Bradford is really a franchise QB, they have to at least try to move up. Doesn't mean it will work though.

First, the basics:

1) The biggest hole on the Bills is a lack of a franchise QB. It's a more important need than LT, NT, LB, WR or RB. You can't win a championship in the NFL without a premier, franchise QB. The league has changed in the past decade to a pass first league and the Bills won't be contenders until they get the QB position fixed.

2) This does not mean I think the Bills should draft a QB just to fill a hole. If the front office doesn't believe a legit franchise QB is available in this draft, then by all means, address the glaring needs at LT, NT, LB, and WR.

3) I am NOT a QB expert or evaluator. I have no idea if Bradford will be a franchise QB or a franchise killer.

4) Because I'm not a QB expert, I defer my faith to Nix and the front office. Meaning, that I will trust their judgment.

5) NEVERGIVESUP, our resident insider to the workings at OBD, said that the only QB the Bills' have with a first round grade is Bradford. I believe NGU to be sincere as his batting average is well over 900 at the moment.

6) If the front office believes that Bradford IS the next Peyton Manning (which is NOT what NGU said, he merely said they have a first round grade on him) -- then giving up 2 #1s and a 3rd (or whatever the value chart says) is one million percent worth it EVEN THOUGH this team has multiple holes. Why? Because finding a franchise QB is a whole heck of a lot harder than finding good LTs, NTs, LBs and WRS ... and infinitely more important.

7) That said, the Rams may not want to trade the pick ... which of course is out of the Bills' control.

That's the line of thought, broken down in 7 easy to follow steps. If the Bills feel that Bradford is really a franchise QB, they have to at least try to move up. Doesn't mean it will work though.

A very nice post! :thumbsup:

I agree with your thought process, with this exception: I don't necessarily trust the Bills' front office to do a better job of evaluating quarterback talent than other experts. Many of those experts are very strongly convinced Clausen is the real deal.

As for the post from NEVERGIVESUP, it's possible that he either was fed, or deliberately chose to create, misinformation about the Bills' real opinion of Clausen. Of course, if everyone is going to believe the opposite of what the Bills say, it makes sense for the Bills to sometimes communicate true facts, knowing their statements will be seen as a smokescreen.

There is also the possibility that there was no smokescreen or deliberate deception involved.

All that stuff aside, I agree with you general point that it's worth paying a very high price for a franchise quarterback.

First, the basics:

Excellent post tgreg.

Let me just say that I do not want the Bills to attempt to trade up and get Bradford or any other QB in this draft.

I think this year's QB class is weak, and I have never once been excited by Sam Bradford. I think he is greatly overrated, and is nothing more than a Oklahoma Sooners, Big 12 system QB. I do not think he has what it takes to be a franchise QB in the NFL. Avoid Bradford at all costs.

A very nice post! :thumbsup:

I agree with your thought process, with this exception: I don't necessarily trust the Bills' front office to do a better job of evaluating quarterback talent than other experts. Many of those experts are very strongly convinced Clausen is the real deal.

As for the post from NEVERGIVESUP, it's possible that he either was fed, or deliberately chose to create, misinformation about the Bills' real opinion of Clausen. Of course, if everyone is going to believe the opposite of what the Bills say, it makes sense for the Bills to sometimes communicate true facts, knowing their statements will be seen as a smokescreen.

There is also the possibility that there was no smokescreen or deliberate deception involved.

All that stuff aside, I agree with you general point that it's worth paying a very high price for a franchise quarterback.

I 100% agree with you it could very well be a smoke screen and Clausen is the one they desire. We'll obviously know if they take Clausen in the first round ...

Which I think is my main point. I don't think Nix will take a QB at 9 just to take a QB. So if he DOES take Clausen at 9 it will be because they believe he's a franchise QB in which case, I'll trust their judgment. Same if they trade up to take Bradford (or Clausen). If they do that, I know a lot of people on the board would be pissed because this team has so many holes to fill. I'm just saying if they do trade up, these people should have some perspective.

No matter who the Bills take, I don't consider them to be contenders in '10. So if they get their franchise QB now at the expense of picks -- they will still need to build next year. If they don't get a QB this draft, they will still have try to get one next draft ...

Excellent post tgreg.

Let me just say that I do not want the Bills to attempt to trade up and get Bradford or any other QB in this draft.

I think this year's QB class is weak, and I have never once been excited by Sam Bradford. I think he is greatly overrated, and is nothing more than a Oklahoma Sooners, Big 12 system QB. I do not think he has what it takes to be a franchise QB in the NFL. Avoid Bradford at all costs.

You might be right. But I'm just saying if they DO trade up to take Bradford (which I realistically don't think they will do), then you should go into it with an open mind. Because if they're right, it's going to speed up the rebuilding process -- by a lot.

NORMAN, Okla. — Four receivers will take part in QB Sam Bradford’s scripted workout Monday in Norman.

Josh Reed, who has spent the last eight seasons with the Buffalo Bills, as well as three of Bradford’s Sooners teammates — RB Chris Brown, TE Brody Eldridge and WR Adron Tennell — will be on the receiving end of the quarterback’s passes.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/29/bradfords-...s-crowd-in-awe/

EDIT: in order for the bills to move up to the #1 overall pick (draft pick value 3000 points), we would obviously have to swap this years #1, 9th overall (value 1350 points) AND next years #1 (value ?? 1350 points) PLUS a conditional pick, like a 3rd rounder ( value 225) depending on the value of next years 1st round pick.

so, is Bradford worth that ??.....i say YES !

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

You've probably already been told this by now, but when you evaluate next year's draft picks for value, you drop them one round. So next year's #1 pick is worth this year's #2 pick. Why? Because next year's #1 pick doesn't help this year's GM and coach keep their job this year. Waiting a year to get somebody is a penalty.

So this year's #1 pick is worth 1350, and next year's number one pick is worth 450.

If you want to move up from #9 to #1, you have to make up 1650 more points AFTER you give them the #9 pick.

Giving them every pick this year, our second through seventh rounders, would only total 875.4, which would leave us short by 774.6. Throwing in our first-rounder next year would be worth an extra 490.

Are you seeing how ridiculous this is yet?

No way we could equal the number of points without basically giving up every pick in this years draft AND next year's draft. Which would be an uparallelled disaster.

There's no realistic way to trade up from the #9 spot to any higher than the #4 without giving up the entire youth movement of the team.

I definitely do not want Clausen. He was throwing to a thouroughbred receiver playing against a bunch of crap.

Im still on board with loading up with linemen and linebackers... making development the primary goal for this season, using a stopgap QB that could be Edwards or Fitz... Then draft the top QB next year and not have to trade anything for him.

So was every Peyton Manning in college throwing to thoroughbreds against crap (at that time, the SEC wasn't the best league). This simply isn't a good argument. He's going to have thoroughbreds in the NFL too.

If you held having good recievers against every good QB, only a few QBs would ever be drafted. A lot of the reason Golden Tate was able to look so good was because he had Jimmy Clausen throwing to him.

First, the basics:

Great post, but what the draft chart actually says is that we give up our next two drafts, in their entirety.

Can you, in your wildest dreams, see us giving up twice what Ditka gave up for Ricky Williams? You would essentially need to make another Herschel Walker trade. This trade is widely known as one of the worst trades in the history of the NFL.

First, the basics:

Great post, but what the draft chart actually says is that we give up our next two drafts, in their entirety.

Can you, in your wildest dreams, see us giving up twice what Ditka gave up for Ricky Williams? You would essentially need to make another Herschel Walker trade. This trade is widely known as one of the worst trades in the history of the NFL, even though Walker played very well for Minny for several years.

YES do what ever it takes. give our 1st & 2nd this year and next. just do it NOW. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bradfords shoulder will be creaking and groaning if the Bills ever moved up to take him. Maybe he knows a sleeper left tackle that our scouts missed. "Hey Sam we need a stud LT but we're gonna trade up for you, and before we do.....uh......well you should know that we're gonna switch you to a lefty so you can see the rush coming.... its for your own good son, believe me...."