New TV

I am not an electronics guy at all. That said, I just bought a new LG, LCD 720, 37" TV for my living room. Obviously the picture looked great in the store. When I hook it up at home, it looks like crap. Basically have it hooked up directly to my DVR (not HD) and then have the red, yellow and white cables attached. Do I need an HD receiver (Directv) to obtain the "showroom" picture quality? Thanks in advance.

You need to get a HD box from your cable company and a HDMI cable. Most cable companies will supply you with a HDMI cable if you ask for one.

You can't use a non-HD DVR box and expect a HD picture.

i bet you didnt buy it from Circuit City.....we used to sell perfection out of the box.....honestly...we did...... :ph34r:

Pooj - HHgregg in the old CC store in Short Pump. I don't even know you, but I thought of you as I entered the store. It was a pretty good shopping experience if I do say so.

I am not an electronics guy at all. That said, I just bought a new LG, LCD 720, 37" TV for my living room. Obviously the picture looked great in the store. When I hook it up at home, it looks like crap. Basically have it hooked up directly to my DVR (not HD) and then have the red, yellow and white cables attached. Do I need an HD receiver (Directv) to obtain the "showroom" picture quality? Thanks in advance.

As others stated, you will need an HD box or an antenna to pick up local channels in HD. You should also search the internet for calibration for your model. Lots of geeks like to post what they feel are the best settings for each tv. I recently bought a 47" LCD and the "Trumotion" feature was on by default. Every review that I read said to turn it off. The TV looks so much better with it off.

Yes. You need an HD receiver and HDMI cables.

Correct. I'll add that you should have a DTV rep do the install as they'll 'dial' in the dish perfectly to the satelites. Makes a huge difference!

Edit: that is, IF you have DTV.. :ph34r:

You've been answered. HDTV picture quality sucks when being fed a standard def signal. HD cable will cost you more money. HD DVD player (Blu Ray player) will also cost more. If you have Tivo (most important purchase for anyone who watches any TV), you'll need an HD Tivo too.

Nevertheless, I have friends who bought an HDTV because they wanted a slim TV to be wall mounted. Their TV is not fed an HD signal and they do not have a blu ray DVD player. It drives me nuts to be at their house watching blurry TV but that's how they roll. All blurry all the time.

ya u really need to do some simple online research

You may have a bad cable run to your house. My parents had a terrible non-HD picture and had the cable company check the line, sure enough after it was replaced, it was a much better picture. Also, showroom TV's are usually set to Vivid or high contrast/brightness settings, but this will cause your tv to burn out faster.

You need to get a HD box from your cable company and a HDMI cable. Most cable companies will supply you with a HDMI cable if you ask for one.

A couple of months ago, I brought in a T-W non-HD box for a HD-DVR. I don't have an HD tv (some programming I watch was kicked upstairs in their line-up as HD channels).

They handed over the HD box as well as a HDMI cable. No extra billing cost for the box or for the cable.

I find that HD on a crt tv is acceptable. I can bounce back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9 display for the best picture using the crt's remote.

Even if they don't, you can purchase an HDMI cable off amazon.com for practically the shipping costs. I bought one about 2 years ago for $.99+shipping. Amazon is the best for these types of purchases.

Even if they don't, you can purchase an HDMI cable off amazon.com for practically the shipping costs. I bought one about 2 years ago for $.99+shipping. Amazon is the best for these types of purchases.

Right you are. :ph34r:

A while back, I purchased a 50ft. CAT5e cable from newegg. The shipping exceeded the product cost, but was a big savings over buying locally. Plus, newegg always has numbers of "free shipping" stuff. I've jumped on those through the years..swayed my purchasing decisions.

Here's a question that just entered my mind: If the old standard was 480 vertical lines, why didn't they make the new standard 960? Wouldn't standard media look much better on a new display if it was an even multiple of the old standard?

Yes! For an HDMI cable, never get roped into paying $50 or $90 or whatever they charge at BestBuy for the stupid Monster Cable brand. Biggest ripoff there is.

You do not get more for your money with a digital cable!

Just get the cheapest one you can find that's long enough.