Bills Draft Options

Based on the latest signings here is what I think the draft selections will be up to the Bills selection

Rams: Sam Bradford - QB

Lions - Russell Okung - OT

Bucs - Nadamakin Suh - DT

Redskins - Jimmy Claussen - QB

Chiefs - Eric Berry - S

Seahawks - Gerald McCoy - DT

Browns - C.J. Spiller - RB

Raiders - Brian Baluga - OT

The Bills are at 9, what do you do:

1. Try to trade down and how far down

2. Draft DE/OLB - Derrick Morgan

3. Draft OT - Trent Williams

Please let me know what you think

Based on the latest signings here is what I think the draft selections will be up to the Bills selection

Rams: Sam Bradford - QB

Lions - Russell Okung - OT

Bucs - Nadamakin Suh - DT

Redskins - Jimmy Claussen - QB

Chiefs - Eric Berry - S

Seahawks - Gerald McCoy - DT

Browns - C.J. Spiller - RB

Raiders - Brian Baluga - OT

If The Bills have Morgan rated much higher than Williams then draft Morgan. If Williams and Morgan are closely rated then go with the OT. There are OT prospects which can be had in the second round. What the Bills don't need to do is reach for players.

I, as much as anyone, want to upgrade the OL. But addressing a need at the expense of a better talent is not the smartest approach to take. One perverse advantage the Bills have in this upcoming draft is that they have a number of needs. So if they can get a better player to address a secondary need then that is the best approach to take.

I feel a quality LT is the best move and we are in desperate need of a quality NT, Dan Williams is the best option if we are able to trade down.

Based on what San Diego did yesterday in trading their 3rd string QB to Seattle for an exchanges of 2nd round picks and a 3rd in 2011 puts San Diego in position to take Terrance Cody with their pick at 28 and then draft the best available RB with Seattle's pick in the 2nd which is right in front of Buffalo.

If The Bills have Morgan rated much higher than Williams then draft Morgan. If Williams and Morgan are closely rated then go with the OT. There are OT prospects which can be had in the second round. What the Bills don't need to do is reach for players.

I, as much as anyone, want to upgrade the OL. But addressing a need at the expense of a better talent is not the smartest approach to take. One perverse advantage the Bills have in this upcoming draft is that they have a number of needs. So if they can get a better player to address a secondary need then that is the best approach to take.

I feel a quality LT is the best move and we are in desperate need of a quality NT, Dan Williams is the best option if we are able to trade down.

Based on what San Diego did yesterday in trading their 3rd string QB to Seattle for an exchanges of 2nd round picks and a 3rd in 2011 puts San Diego in position to take Terrance Cody with their pick at 28 and then draft the best available RB with Seattle's pick in the 2nd which is right in front of Buffalo.

Your San Diego draft scenario with them taking Cody in the first round makes a lot of sense. I don't see them taking a back in the first round unless Spiller was available.

Just take the best player. T. Williams is not the best player at that point. Maybe its McClain, but I think OLB is more important at this point. That makes me think Morgan - but can he play OLB? Dan Williams is too much a reach. The best part of this scenario is that is wont happen. The draft never pans out the way we think it will.

Just take the best player. T. Williams is not the best player at that point. Maybe its McClain, but I think OLB is more important at this point. That makes me think Morgan - but can he play OLB? Dan Williams is too much a reach. The best part of this scenario is that is wont happen. The draft never pans out the way we think it will.

Yes, Derrick Morgan can play OLB in the 3-4. One of the reasons people are so high on Morgan is the fact that they think he can project into 3 different positions. An OLB or DE in a 3-4 or a DE in a 4-3, but they say he fits in best to a 3-4 rush LB, which really makes him an attractive pick to the Bills.

I personally disagree with your assesment of McClain, I know you're really high on him but I think he's a big reach at #9, especially considering we already have acceptable starters at his position on the roster. I just don't like the bang for the buck we get by reaching for McClain with the #9 pick, now if we were to trade back to say #15-20 I'd be okay with McClain.

BTW, under this scenario I take Derrick Morgan, the best DE/OLB in the draft.

I'd be thrilled with either Williams or Morgan.

The best part of this scenario is that is wont happen. The draft never pans out the way we think it will.

The top of the draft class usually does pan out the way we think it will though, just maybe in a different order. This years class has 7 players as the cream before the drop off, and those 7 players will almost certainly go 1 through 7.

The top of the draft class usually does pan out the way we think it will though, just maybe in a different order. This years class has 7 players as the cream before the drop off, and those 7 players will almost certainly go 1 through 7.

The 2009 Draft:

1 Lions Matthew Stafford QB

2 Rams Jason Smith OT

3 Chiefs Tyson Jackson DE

4 Seahawks Aaron Curry OLB

5 Jets Mark Sanchez QB

6 Bengals Andre Smith OT

7 Raiders Darrius Heyward-Bey WR

There's no point in going back over recent draft history too deeply or debating the point, but there are always surprises...even at the top of the draft.

Yes, Derrick Morgan can play OLB in the 3-4. One of the reasons people are so high on Morgan is the fact that they think he can project into 3 different positions. An OLB or DE in a 3-4 or a DE in a 4-3, but they say he fits in best to a 3-4 rush LB, which really makes him an attractive pick to the Bills.

I personally disagree with your assesment of McClain, I know you're really high on him but I think he's a big reach at #9, especially considering we already have acceptable starters at his position on the roster. I just don't like the bang for the buck we get by reaching for McClain with the #9 pick, now if we were to trade back to say #15-20 I'd be okay with McClain.

BTW, under this scenario I take Derrick Morgan, the best DE/OLB in the draft.

that is so wrong

that is so wrong

good catch you are right on that one.

This is from CBSsportsline.com:

03/16/2010 - According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock, "just about everyone in attendance" at Georgia Tech's Pro Day believed Derrick Morgan will be a 4-3 defensive end in the NFL -- not a 3-4 outside linebacker. Morgan struggled badly when asked to drop and change direction at the Combine. He was a bit better at Monday's Pro Day, but at 6'3/266 Morgan's best fit appears to be as a base, 4-3 right or left defensive end. Mayock expects Morgan to be drafted somewhere in the top 10-20, though it appears we can cross most 3-4 clubs off the list of potential landing spots. - USA TODAY football

Don't really know where he fits into the Bills D after that nugget.

good catch you are right on that one.

This is from CBSsportsline.com:

03/16/2010 - According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock, "just about everyone in attendance" at Georgia Tech's Pro Day believed Derrick Morgan will be a 4-3 defensive end in the NFL -- not a 3-4 outside linebacker. Morgan struggled badly when asked to drop and change direction at the Combine. He was a bit better at Monday's Pro Day, but at 6'3/266 Morgan's best fit appears to be as a base, 4-3 right or left defensive end. Mayock expects Morgan to be drafted somewhere in the top 10-20, though it appears we can cross most 3-4 clubs off the list of potential landing spots. - USA TODAY football

Don't really know where he fits into the Bills D after that nugget.

For an alternate view from Sporting News:

"Morgan is a junior who came out early for the 2010 draft and should immediately contribute as a rookie. He is athletic with a rare combination of foot quickness, explosiveness, playing speed, size, and playing strength. He could be effective as a defensive end in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme or as a rush linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Pro Bowl aspirations will not be far off."

But according to them, he won't be an option anyways, as they have him going #2 overall to Detroit.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/3/17/...s-lande-3-17-10

Russ Lande is a former college & NFL scout who now works for the Sporting News and he publishes the draft guide GM Jr every year: http://gmjrnfldraft.com/

Why do you have Buffalo taking Sergio Kindle at #9 at the War Room?

I've spoken with scouts and other personnel inside the bills organization and they told me their top priority is front 7 and more specifically, pass rushers. They need pass rushers and don't be surprised when they draft a dominant pass rusher in the first round. Buffalo's future is certainly bright in the scouting department with Nix and Modrak together plus Doug Whaley, this organization has a bright future as long as they figure out their QB situation, they need to find a QB.

What do you think about the DE form GT, Morgan?

He is by far the best DE in the draft, way above the rest. He can play DE in the 4-3 or the 3-4 or he can play rush OLB in the 3-4, great player, by far above the other DE's in the draft.

It would seem Morgan is high on their list assuming they want pass rushers, this guy is saying he is the bet by far, and he is a Gailey recruit at GT. I cant say I would be angry because the LTs may be gone and we need good value at the pick. We also really need pass rushers - please dont give me the Maybin/Mitchell/Kelsay are going to play OLB crap.

A little more info on Morgan.

A little more info on Morgan.

That's the info I was going off of in saying he fits in at 3 different defensive postions. I was actually in that chat when Russ Lande mentioned the versatility of Morgan, and he too is very high on Morgan.

Mayock apparently feels differently, and because Mayock is reporting this coming off of his Pro Day you have to put some serious stock in what he has to say. I'm sure he was chatting with various scouts. Then again scouts know Mayock is a media guy so maybe they want him to believe Morgan is only a 4-3 guy so they have a shot at him. You really can't take anything as fact this time of year because everyone is so paranoid the guy they're targeting won't last long enough.

For an alternate view from Sporting News:

"Morgan is a junior who came out early for the 2010 draft and should immediately contribute as a rookie. He is athletic with a rare combination of foot quickness, explosiveness, playing speed, size, and playing strength. He could be effective as a defensive end in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme or as a rush linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Pro Bowl aspirations will not be far off."

But according to them, he won't be an option anyways, as they have him going #2 overall to Detroit.

Ask yourself how many 3 - 4 DEs currently in the NFL weigh 266 (Morgan's weight at the combine) or less. I can't think of any. Am I missing anyone? Generally, 3 - 4 DEs start at around 285 pounds and heavier. Their primary responsibility is run defense, sealing the OT to the inside and making sure the RB doesn't get outside. On pass plays, they generally are expected to push and compress the pocket, but NOT to rush wide, because if they run past the QB, there's nobody on that side to prevent the QB from either buying a lot of time by rolling out, or even just running. 3-4 DEs need to be big, and Morgan isn't big enough right now. He could probably put on 20 pounds or so, but would lose the quickness that makes him so special as a 4 - 3 DE.

Again, can anyone name a 3 - 4 DE in the NFL who weighs 266 or less?

So how would Morgan do as a 3 - 4 rush LB? Can anyone name two 3 - 4 rush LBs who weigh 266 or more? Tamba Hali is the only one I can think of, but again, maybe I'm missing somebody. Hali is called both an OLB and a DE, but he had 8.5 sacks at 275, so it's possible, but rare indeed. DeMarcus Ware goes 262, so he's close, but he's just faster than Morgan. Most 3 - 4 rush OLBs are somewhere in the 240 -255 range. Joey Porter is at the high side, at 255. Dumervil is up to 248 these days. Orakpo is at 260. Banta-Cain is 250, James Harrison is 242, Clay Mathews is 250 ...

At 266, Morgan isn't much heavier than some of the better OLB sack artists in the league, but he is a bit heavier. When you watch the highlights, you see a guy who's an amazing combination of speed and strength. But what you don't see is a guy with the raw speed and first step to outrun guys around the end, which is how rush OLBs tend to make their living.

When we were still a 4 - 3, I was screaming for Morgan, and being told he wasn't a high enough value. The minute we switched to the 3 - 4, though, I started to look elsewhere. In terms of a 3 - 4, he's a tweener, and while a few tweeners succeed, it's a small percentage.

At the end of the day, I think Brandon Graham will be the best pass rushing 3-4 OLB in the draft. 9 is too high for him I guess, but if the Bills share that believe, why not take him over Morgan? However, Morgan does have loads of experience on the left side and is very very sout vrs the run - so he could help there. Sergio Kindle is another guy I see having tons of success at 3-4 OLB. Kindle and Grahmas transition just seem more natural to me. Another guy we havent thought of is Pierre-Paul. He like Morgan is built more like a DE but it very athletic and could transition. There are lots of options for us at OLB - I just named 4 guys who are all as likely to succeed as the next.

If the Ts (Okung/Bulaga) and QBs (Bradford/Clausen) are gone trade down is the only way to fill a need without reaching IMO. Hopefully we have the luxury.

Say no to drafting a RT, which is all Trent Williams will be in the NFL and maybe not even a good one, at #9. Schobel is 31, right? I would be content with us drafting Kindle, McClain, Williams, or a trade down to gain an extra 2nd.

No way Redskins take Claussen. They started Mike Williams AND Levi Jones last year. That pick is Okung, Williams or Bulaga.

I think Buffalo will have their chance at Claussen and will pass. I also think all 3 of the above are gone by 9 and Davis is slipping into the 2nd round. That leaves us with better defensive prospects. I'm thinking Morgan, Kindle, Williams or maybe even Spiller. Trade down to about 21 and take Claussen there.

If Clausen is available, they should draft him. If he is not available, they should trade down to pick up more draft choices since they have so many holes. I would really hate for the Bills to draft for need instead of best player available who fits their scheme. They've done it too many times and gotten burned, e.g. Losman, Maybin, etc. Last year, their best choice was Byrd.

Personally, I will be happier if they draft someone we do not expect based on position. Free agency is the place to fill needs not the draft!!!