Gailey denies Whitner is being shopped

recent articles by JW and Mark Gaughan quote the HC as saying Whitner is not being actively offered as a part of a trade...

During a brief availability on Tuesday, Gailey dismissed speculation that safety Donte Whitner(notes) is on the trade block by questioning why the team would weaken one of its deepest positions.

and

On speculation about trading safety Donte Whitner: "Obviously it must have gotten a life of its own somewhere. We feel like we've got a strong secondary. Donte's a big part of that and is going to be a big part of that. To me, you would not weaken one of your strengths. I don't know where that came from."

CG also said there's an open competition for QB with the 3 names already on the roster and another to be added by some means (draft, FA, trade, etc.) and said there was nothing new to report on the Schobel situation

Re: Whitner, I know exactly where it came from: pundits theorizing that such a move might make sense, and some fans mistaking their speculation for inside knowledge of an impending deal.

Re: Whitner, I know exactly where it came from: pundits theorizing that such a move might make sense, and some fans mistaking their speculation for inside knowledge of an impending deal.

So the fact that it makes sense isn't enough of a reason for speculation by itself?

He's going to have to go on TV and tell everyone that he is not shopping Schobel as well. I keep running across people salivating over the notion that we might get an extra pick for trading him. Even when he himself said that he will either come back and play in Buffalo or retire, people just seem to think that means we can do whatever we want, like trade him.

So the fact that it makes sense isn't enough of a reason for speculation by itself?

I have no problem with speculation. In fact, I do it myself all the time. But when people read something that says "the Bills would be wise to get what they can for Whitner," then turn around and tweet him that "hey, so-and-so says you're getting traded," that's a misread.

I have no problem with speculation. In fact, I do it myself all the time. But when people read something that says "the Bills would be wise to get what they can for Whitner," then turn around and tweet him that "hey, so-and-so says you're getting traded," that's a misread.

People who tweet Donte like that are cowards if you ask me. Internet tough guys. I bet if they met him in person they would be puppy dogs asking for autographs.

People who tweet Donte like that are cowards if you ask me. Internet tough guys. I bet if they met him in person they would be puppy dogs asking for autographs.

Some are. Others, I think, are genuinely curious and/or concerned. Believe it or don't (after reading this board), but there are still plenty of Bills fans who think he doesn't suck.

But speculation is all Gailey is talking about, at least according to Gaughan's phrasing of it. He's not addressing twitter attacks.

Gailey put himself in this position by bringing back Wilson and Scott, and not exactly committing to starting Whitner. So yeah, I would expect speculation to continue.

Some columnist quipped that JaCarcass Russell should seek treatment for lethargy (due to his legendary lack of a work ethic).

A local tv sportscaster here in the Bay then reports that JaCarcass is actually in treatment for lethargy (which apparently explains his slothfulness on the field and off).

One comment, prognostication, or flippant comment and we're off to the races. I love having access to all this 'information'.

Some columnist quipped that JaCarcass Russell should seek treatment for lethargy (due to his legendary lack of a work ethic).

A local tv sportscaster here in the Bay then reports that JaCarcass is actually in treatment for lethargy (which apparently explains his slothfulness on the field and off).

One comment, prognostication, or flippant comment and we're off to the races. I love having access to all this 'information'.

True dat. And then the beat writers have to track down all these wild geese. (See: Vick-to-Bills last summer.) Adam Schefter went through that a while back -- he said some trade/signing could happen, everyone ran with it as if he had said the deal was all but done, and he spent the rest of the day trying to clear up the confusion.

Some are. Others, I think, are genuinely curious and/or concerned. Believe it or don't (after reading this board), but there are still plenty of Bills fans who think he doesn't suck.

I can onyl speak from my own experience, but just about all of the Bills fans i actually know and talk to still think Whitner is a good safety. The Whitner "hate" seems to be centered on the interweb message boards.

Right, but I (and Gailey) am talking about speculation, not fact.

Gailey's comments are speculation as well.

the fact is Overdorf will move Whitner out the door as soon as he can to save a few bucks.

Better he gets something in trade, but a Langston Walker type stealth cut is not out of the realm of possibility

the fact is Overdorf will move Whitner out the door as soon as he can to save a few bucks.

Better he gets something in trade, but a Langston Walker type stealth cut is not out of the realm of possibility

More like "My wild speculation", unless of course you know more then the Head Coach does in regards to the Bills personel, its not a fact but speculation

If most of the money on the original deal has already been paid to Whitner, then he might not be that expensive. His salary cap number is meaningless, even moreso now that there is no cap. Same goes for other vets like Kelsay. It would be interesting to know what is owed guys like Whitner, Kelsay, Stroud, and Parrish this year. If Whitner is getting paid $2m this year, he might be worth it. Roscoe at $1.5m might be worth it too.

But speculation is all Gailey is talking about, at least according to Gaughan's phrasing of it. He's not addressing twitter attacks.

Gailey put himself in this position by bringing back Wilson and Scott, and not exactly committing to starting Whitner. So yeah, I would expect speculation to continue.

not in the way Gailey put it to us today. he made it clear with his comments today that Donte Whitner is and will remain a key part of the Bills secondary.

jw