Cleveland and Buffalo

major

Cleveland and Buffalo are two franchises that have been in the same boat over the past few years. So far, Cleveland has been very active in free agency. Our team seems to be intent on building through the draft. I'm curious to see which approach will yield the most wins at the end of next season.

Cleveland and Buffalo are two franchises that have been in the same boat over the past few years. So far, Cleveland has been very active in free agency. Our team seems to be intent on building through the draft. I'm curious to see which approach will yield the most wins at the end of next season.

Say... aren't you the same major that gave strict orders stifling all posts and chatter relating to Michael Vick? Yeah... that was you... you banned all posting of Michael Vick discussion! :)

Say... aren't you the same major that gave strict orders stifling all posts and chatter relating to Michael Vick? Yeah... that was you... you banned all posting of Michael Vick discussion! :)

Shhhhhh! Dont talk about it, you are not allowed.

My mother used to say this to me:

"I dont care what everyone else does, you are not everyone else, and i only care what you are doing"

Fast Forward to today.

I dont care how the Brows, Pats, Panthers... (Insert Team here) do. I only care what teh Bills do.

This is a good post - one franchise very active - from the top of the front office, hiring big named people and one hiring...let us just call them, lesser known individuals and not a factor in free agency. Time will tell, but this comparison will be a good one for us to follow....

wins at the end of next year will hardly tell who is doing a better job.

Glad you finally caught the sarcasm in my original post. It took awhile, but someone finally got it.

There is sarcasm in your original post? It sounds like you were wondering aloud, which approach would lead to more wins next season, which would then justify, to you, which method was better. Maybe the reason nobody "got it," was a poor attempt?

In general, a team building through the draft isn't expected to win the next season...hence the word building. As for the Browns, I offer the saying "quality not quantity".

what measure would you propose? net income?

One years win total does not decide who's doing a better job. The Bills could finish 4-12, Cleveland, 7-9...but in three years we are in the playoffs and Cleveland isn't, who's doing the beter job? Quit being so short sighted.

Well, when you want to look at "most improved" you first have to decide if a team improved itself better in the long run or the short run. And since the OP is talking about the end of next season, I assume he means the short run. Long run factors more than just the Draft and FA. it also includes keeping/ re-signing/ extending your good players, continuity, a good system, player development, etc. If you don't have that stuff, then you don't even have a long term plan and nothing will be good in the long term.

And when measuring in the short run, there are other factors to consider: injuries, schedule differences, etc.

There is no easy way to measure it. But since the bills/browns share so many similarities (more than other teams), I think after next season it wouldn't be hard to ballpark which team is more improved. Especially if there is a big gap in the end results.

wins at the end of next year will hardly tell who is doing a better job.

All that action by the Browns and Jake is their QB? He may have a 80% completion rate between his recievers and the defenders each catching a lot of balls. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

All that action by the Browns and Jake is their QB? He may have a 80% completion rate between his recievers and the defenders each catching a lot of balls. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I agree. Without a QB, not sure what this team's plan is for opening day. It can't be Delhomme and Wallace. Plus Mangini is a halfwit. Players hate him.

Hey, dude. They beat us 6-3 in last years "painty-waist" classic. Call it a hunch, but Cleveland will win 3 more games than us: Cleveland 3-13, Bills...(do the math).

I dont think its really any debate. Sure Cleveland clearly has done more in FA, no one would argue otherwise. But the Browns have been more active towards building through the draft also. They have traded away players for picks whom they have decided are not in their future pans, meanwhile the Bills have Kelsay/Schobel/others on the roster that dont fit in our 3-5 year rebuilding plan.

Free Agency aside, the Browns have increased the number of draft picks in this coming draft and traded picks for players they know can help them rebuild. The only way the Bills can build better is to draft better - which only means our scouts/draft picks were better than the Browns, not that our method worked and theirs didnt.

Would you rather have more draft picks to build a team from scratch, or less draft picks? Yea the Bills may get good doing it this way, but thats 5 years. The Dolphins and Falcons did it in 1 year being proactive. The Browns are being proactive.

Uhmmm, Cleveland. They have a true football man in total control of their team. We're not sure what we have

Holmgren's inability to draft worth a crap means he had to turn to freea agency with Paul Allen's check book nothing was off limits and the leaked into a super bowl with a bought veteran team one year run and out. I suspect he will do the same with the browns as far as try to buy veterans. This approach rarely works but do to his short comings with the draft what else can he do. Lets see his first and second round picks as the "football man" for seattle four years at the gm role total record of 31-33

First rounders -Shaun Alexander, Chris McIntosh,Koren Robinson, Steve Hutchinson,Jeremy Stevens, LaMar King

Second rounders-Ike Charlton,Ken Lucas, Maurice Morris, Anton Palepoi

1999 resigns Sinclair,

2000 signs Reggie Tongue, and MLB George Koonce and Trades Ahman Green lets Sam Adams and Phillip Daniels leave

2001 signs John Randle, DT Chad Eaton, LB Levon Kirkland QB Trent Dilfer, WR Bobby Ingram, S Marcus Robertson......Cortez Kennedy released

2002 signs Doug Evans, Mark Rypien ,Jerry Wunsch, Jeff George, Ryan Lief, Brandon Mitchell,....Sinclair released and Levon Kirkland released

8 players were of Holmgren doing 6 draft picks 2 FA

His talent evaluating is terrible and he won't have any success in Cleveland

But a few guys on here know his name so he must be a genius right?