Selection Sunday

bills44

Just because they come from a "mid-major" conference doesn't mean anyone should see Gonzaga in that light anymore. Mark Few consistently recruits big time talent and should not be included in discussions about "mid-majors" IMO. Gonzaga has been a consensus top-25 team in the nation for much of the last decade.

Yah, when you can schedule a home and home with a bigtime program like a Uconn you're not really a mid-major anymore.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything I'm reading about FSU makes me think that they can beat Gonzaga and could be a nasty match-up for Cuse; sounds like FSU has really gritty, good defense--kind of like Pitt and L-Ville...

We're got a nasty defense down here. The 'noles are going to attempt to make it a 50-60 point battle. We've got very good size across the front so we can matchup with Syracuse's big guys. We've also got 3-4 players that are capable of going for 20 in any given night. The 'noles are maddeningly inconsistent, however. Kitchen, Singleton, and Alabi all can be scoring threats (althought Alabi's offensive play has fallen way off this year), but they have been streaky this year, and there's only been a handful of games where they both/all are on their game. We've been plagued by sub-par guard play as well. The biggest negative about the noles is the lack of a go-to guy in crunch time. We've got guys that can, and have hit the big shot, but the team tends to get down on themselves for stretches during games on the offensive side of the ball. We've got no leader that can carry the team during the cold stretches. FSU also tends to play up or down to their opponent, which

The bottom line is FSU will play tough D and score when they can. If they can hold 'cuse in the 50s or low 60s, the 'Noles would have a legit shot at winning and scoring the upset. If 'cuse pushes the score into the 70s, FSU wont be able to hang.

We're got a nasty defense down here. The 'noles are going to attempt to make it a 50-60 point battle. We've got very good size across the front so we can matchup with Syracuse's big guys. We've also got 3-4 players that are capable of going for 20 in any given night. The 'noles are maddeningly inconsistent, however. Kitchen, Singleton, and Alabi all can be scoring threats (althought Alabi's offensive play has fallen way off this year), but they have been streaky this year, and there's only been a handful of games where they both/all are on their game. We've been plagued by sub-par guard play as well. The biggest negative about the noles is the lack of a go-to guy in crunch time. We've got guys that can, and have hit the big shot, but the team tends to get down on themselves for stretches during games on the offensive side of the ball. We've got no leader that can carry the team during the cold stretches. FSU also tends to play up or down to their opponent, which

The bottom line is FSU will play tough D and score when they can. If they can hold 'cuse in the 50s or low 60s, the 'Noles would have a legit shot at winning and scoring the upset. If 'cuse pushes the score into the 70s, FSU wont be able to hang.

Excellent analysis, but shouldn't you be worried about beating the higher seeded Zags first?

Excellent analysis, but shouldn't you be worried about beating the higher seeded Zags first?

I am. But there are few, if any, Zags fans on here, so i figured i'd chat with the 'cuse fans. By no means do i think FSU will handle the Zags. I actually think the Zags got a low seed, and i'm picking them to beat FSU. Seeding doesn't matter too much in a 8-9 game however.

So, now that the tournament is only 2 days away and all those blockheads on ESPN have stopped arguing about Va Tech and Miss St's cases for the tourney, we can get to the real point - Who's everyone got in their final four and how's it playing out?

Here's mine (subject to change within the next 48 hours, of course :wallbash: ):

Kansas

Kentucky

Cuse

Baylor

Kansas over Cuse

Kentucky over Baylor

Kansas over Kentucky

So, now that the tournament is only 2 days away and all those blockheads on ESPN have stopped arguing about Va Tech and Miss St's cases for the tourney, we can get to the real point - Who's everyone got in their final four and how's it playing out?

Here's mine (subject to change within the next 48 hours, of course :pirate: ):

Kansas

Kentucky

Cuse

Baylor

Kansas over Cuse

Kentucky over Baylor

Kansas over Kentucky

That's creepy. I have the exact same final four and results.

Thanks for the analysis. This team strikes me as similar to Pitt. And the fact that Onuaku is out for the weekend's games, probably won't bode well for Syracuse if FSU has the bigs that you mentioned.

I have no idea how good Gonzaga is this year--so I don't know how that game will shake out--but playing in the ACC, even in a down year, and having a great defense, is the recipe to winning some games in the tourney.

• 3 weeks later...
Nobody had Duke over Butler?..........So, can we put to rest this stuff about the committee giving Duke all these breaks. They beat everybody they had to.

I don't think the committee had anything to do with it, but I can't remember any team ever having a path of least resistance to a championship like Duke just had.

I don't think the committee had anything to do with it, but I can't remember any team ever having a path of least resistance to a championship like Duke just had.

They beat a 2, 3, 4, 5 and an 8..........that's not that easy, and Butler is obviously way better than a 5.

So, can we put to rest this stuff about the committee giving Duke all these breaks. They beat everybody they had to.

They took advantage of their breaks. Therefore they didn't get breaks? :blink:

They beat a 2, 3, 4, 5 and an 8..........that's not that easy, and Butler is obviously way better than a 5.

And Purdue sans their best player was obviously worse than a 4. That was a major point of the initial outcry, along with 'Nova in their region being the weakest 2.

If you get to the championship game you're going to play a good team. Any sane person measures breaks by the teams in your region. But yah, the nerve of the committee underseeding a team on the opposite side of Duke's bracket.

You don't win the national championship because of how the seedings were. (BTW, Purdue would have been a 1 or a 2 if Hummel didn't get hurt, so 4 seems right to me).........Duke beat Butler, the team your Orange couldn't.