Selection Sunday

bills44

haha...you seem a bit sensitive. I asked a simple question in the original post, which nobody could answer. If you perceived that as "whiny", well, I can't help that.

Every talking head said, as recently as late afternoon today, that SU was a lock for a #1 seed, and that the "fourth" #1 seed was likely between Duke and West Virginia. Just seemed like a strange turn of events.

With the S-Curve, yes, the rankings amongst a partcular seed do make a difference (e.g. the first #1 seed plays the worst #2 seed, the best #3 seed, etc.).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha...you seem a bit sensitive. I asked a simple question in the original post, which nobody could answer. If you perceived that as "whiny", well, I can't help that.

Every talking head said, as recently as late afternoon today, that SU was a lock for a #1 seed, and that the "fourth" #1 seed was likely between Duke and West Virginia. Just seemed like a strange turn of events.

With the S-Curve, yes, the rankings amongst a partcular seed do make a difference (e.g. the first #1 seed plays the worst #2 seed, the best #3 seed, etc.).

Slightly better RPI, slightly better strength of schedule. Won 11 of last 12, with only loss at Maryland. You're really splitting hairs. There was a ton of discussion. In the end, they are both #1 seeds. What difference does it make if you go to Houston or Salt Lake for the regional? They got two home games in Buffalo.

Slightly better RPI, slightly better strength of schedule. Won 11 of last 12, with only loss at Maryland. You're really splitting hairs. There was a ton of discussion. In the end, they are both #1 seeds. What difference does it make if you go to Houston or Salt Lake for the regional? They got two home games in Buffalo.

I suppose that's part of the problem - I don't really think that RPI is that accurate a measure of a team's quality. Looking at Duke's schedule, I'm having a hard time coming up many quality wins (I suppose that Maryland is their best W).

WVU should've been a #1. Better schedule, better wins, better conference.

I suppose that's part of the problem - I don't really think that RPI is that accurate a measure of a team's quality. Looking at Duke's schedule, I'm having a hard time coming up many quality wins (I suppose that Maryland is their best W).

WVU should've been a #1. Better schedule, better wins, better conference.

Duke, like Kansas and Kentucky, were rewarded for winning a strong conference PLUS winning their conference tournament. Syracuse got the nod over West Virginia for winning in Morgantown, and winning the Big East regular-season title by two games.

Duke, like Kansas and Kentucky, were rewarded for winning a strong conference PLUS winning their conference tournament. Syracuse got the nod over West Virginia for winning in Morgantown, and winning the Big East regular-season title by two games.

therein lies the distinction. The ACC is not strong this year. Just look at the teams Duke beat in the ACC Tournament.

Duke didn't even win the ACC outright.

therein lies the distinction. The ACC is not strong this year. Just look at the teams Duke beat in the ACC Tournament.

Duke didn't even win the ACC outright.

Won't argue that the ACC isn't as good as the Big East. And you can't say Duke didn't catch a break, having to play Virginia, Miami and Georgia Tech to win the tournament. But they still did it. And the ACC did get six teams in the field...it's not as if we are talking about a league like Conference USA or a league similar to that.

Enjoy the tournament, everyone.

Won't argue that the ACC isn't as good as the Big East. And you can't say Duke didn't catch a break, having to play Virginia, Miami and Georgia Tech to win the tournament. But they still did it. And the ACC did get six teams in the field...it's not as if we are talking about a league like Conference USA or a league similar to that.

Enjoy the tournament, everyone.

True - they don't owe anybody an apology for who they played in the ACC Tournament.

You have to admit that there is a pretty significant drop off between Duke/Maryland and the rest of the conference, including the other 4 NCAA squads.

For the first time since the day after the Bona game, I checked out syracuse.com - 90% of the comments are complaining about the Duke seeding, the NCAA hates us, etc...........A few people are telling them to quit whining and get a grip.........I don't know if this is an online thing or if SU fans really feel this paranoid........I really wish I had not been on syracuse.com after the Bona game. It's given me a bad taste for a school and city I really used liked a lot. (As I look at my SU diploma and SU 2010 calendar)

For the first time since the day after the Bona game, I checked out syracuse.com - 90% of the comments are complaining about the Duke seeding, the NCAA hates us, etc...........A few people are telling them to quit whining and get a grip.........I don't know if this is an online thing or if SU fans really feel this paranoid........I really wish I had not been on syracuse.com after the Bona game. It's given me a bad taste for a school and city I really used liked a lot. (As I look at my SU diploma and SU 2010 calendar)

As much as I'm on your side and don't think there's any reason to complain about the seeding, I also think you need to just get over it. Support the team, don't support the team, who the hell cares?

You whining and complaining about the Syracuse fans is every bit as annoying as the fans bitching about the seeding.

As much as I'm on your side and don't think there's any reason to complain about the seeding, I also think you need to just get over it. Support the team, don't support the team, who the hell cares?

You whining and complaining about the Syracuse fans is every bit as annoying as the fans bitching about the seeding.

Who cares? I care. I want to root for them. I friggin went to school there. I think there are plenty of Sabres fans who be OK with the Leafs, but just can't stand their fans, and there are other examples........So, you whining about me whining about the whining about the SU fans has got us into an infinite loop! :thumbsup:

I only skimmed through the thread, but I have to say the complaining about SU's placement seems a tad ridiculous to me.

They start in Buffalo, which is great for their fans. And the bracket looks very winnable. I really disagree with those who think the South is much easier. It may be a little easier in the early rounds, but when it gets to the top part of the bracket, I think the South may be tougher than West. And if the Cuse is going to the final four, it's the top teams in the bracket they need to really be concerned with. If they can't win their first two games, in ANY bracket, do they belong in the final four?

Go 'Cuse!

Kansas got absolutely screwed, IMO. They are supposedly the #1 overall seed in the tournament and they get stuck with a very strong #2 in Ohio St., the best 3 seed in Georgetown, a Michigan St. team that easily could've been a 3 or 4 seed, and the only two teams that beat them during the regular season, Tennessee and Oklahoma State. Throw in upstart teams like Maryland and Georgia Tech and this is easily the most difficult region, IMO. The Jayhawks can't be happy with this draw. Duke's region is a joke.

Kansas got absolutely screwed, IMO. They are supposedly the #1 overall seed in the tournament and they get stuck with a very strong #2 in Ohio St., the best 3 seed in Georgetown, a Michigan St. team that easily could've been a 3 or 4 seed, and the only two teams that beat them during the regular season, Tennessee and Oklahoma State. Throw in upstart teams like Maryland and Georgia Tech and this is easily the most difficult region, IMO. The Jayhawks can't be happy with this draw. Duke's region is a joke.

Everybody got screwed! Two years from now, when the Bonnies are in it, I'm going to B word how the committee hates the Southern Tier!