One Nation Under God

Beerball

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see alot of cats here that don't have a belief in God. That's cool and I hope I don't come off as preachy,but I kinda feel sorry for you guys. I was raised Catholic and have a deep belief in God. It's a comforting feeling that I guess you guys can't know. I know there's more than just the material world that we are now living in. When I go to mass I always leave with 2 things. 1.a little nugget of wisdom that I take from the Homily (sermon). Sometimes it's something that applies directly to everyday life,sometimes it's just a different way of looking at things that opens your eyes a bit. 2.a warm,content feeling of confidence.I'm not sure why,other than it just reaffirms your faith. Like I said I hope I don't come off as trying to force my beliefs on anybody. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject.

It doesn't come off as preachy but understand that your pity is obnoxious. We're living nice atheistic/agnostic lives. Flip it around. Would you feel insulted to find we feel pity for you because you believe in Santa Claus? Pretty sure you'd find that offensive.

I got nothing out of my Catholic upbringing except a load of guilt that was not fair to place on me because I did nothing wrong. Oh, and a whole bunch of creepy priests from when I was an altar boy. I'm not jumping to the stereotyoe of priests (though it's obviously well-earned)--just saying that every priest I've met is a social misfit, and that includes a close fiend of mine who was a priest but has now passed.

I get my warm content confident feeling from family, music, friends, meditation, good food.

It doesn't come off as preachy but understand that your pity is obnoxious. We're living nice atheistic/agnostic lives. Flip it around. Would you feel insulted to find we feel pity for you because you believe in Santa Claus? Pretty sure you'd find that offensive.

I got nothing out of my Catholic upbringing except a load of guilt that was not fair to place on me because I did nothing wrong. Oh, and a whole bunch of creepy priests from when I was an altar boy. I'm not jumping to the stereotyoe of priests (though it's obviously well-earned)--just saying that every priest I've met is a social misfit, and that includes a close fiend of mine who was a priest but has now passed.

I get my warm content confident feeling from family, music, friends, meditation, good food.

Booze man, don't forget the warm and fuzzies from the booze.

No,I wouldn't be offended. To each his own.I guess I used the wrong words when I said feeling sorry. I was just trying to share some positive thoughts on faith after many in this thread seemed to scoff at it. You and Jim seem pretty defensive about the issue.

No,I wouldn't be offended. To each his own.I guess I used the wrong words when I said feeling sorry. I was just trying to share some positive thoughts on faith after many in this thread seemed to scoff at it. You and Jim seem pretty defensive about the issue.

People tend to get defensive when you look down upon them with the holier than thou attitude.

You're trippin dude. I am not looking down on you or anybody else.You're just hella sensitive about this for some reason.

Oh no?

I see alot of cats here that don't have a belief in God. That's cool and I hope I don't come off as preachy,but I kinda feel sorry for you guys. I was raised Catholic and have a deep belief in God. It's a comforting feeling that I guess you guys can't know. I know there's more than just the material world that we are now living in. When I go to mass I always leave with 2 things. 1.a little nugget of wisdom that I take from the Homily (sermon). Sometimes it's something that applies directly to everyday life,sometimes it's just a different way of looking at things that opens your eyes a bit. 2.a warm,content feeling of confidence.I'm not sure why,other than it just reaffirms your faith. Like I said I hope I don't come off as trying to force my beliefs on anybody. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject.

That's odd.

Oh no?

That's odd.

I guess I should have used different words instead of "feel sorry for". But it's the same way I kinda "feel sorry" for people that don't like sports. They are missing out on all the fun I have following sports,that's all. And if you don't believe in God you can't get those same feelings from faith that I do. I can't see how we could disagree on that.

I guess I should have used different words instead of "feel sorry for". But it's the same way I kinda "feel sorry" for people that don't like sports. They are missing out on all the fun I have following sports,that's all. And if you don't believe in God you can't get those same feelings from faith that I do. I can't see how we could disagree on that.

I don't know what exactly you feel, but I get a kind of "rush," I suppose, from going out to the middle of a field on a clear night, laying down, and just staring at the stars and thinking about what's going on out there. There's a certain feeling about it that is probably comparable to what you feel during a "faith experience." For me, just knowing that I'm here, that I'm in this universe, on this planet, living this life, is enough.

I had the opportunity to listen to a talk given by former evangelical preacher Dan Barker. One of the interesting things that he said was that when he was a Christian, he could feel something inside of him, a kind of "high," when he would speak in tongues or get really into a sermon he was doing. He gets the same feeling nowadays while playing jazz piano.

Believe in God or not...There is not one person who cares deeply enough for another that will shun hope for divine intervention when a crisis occurs. Let cancer strike one's child and watch that atheism melt away like wax on a candle.

The rules that govern this existence of horror and delight leave one either desensitized or desperately hopeful.

As St. Peter Canisius I believe once said(not sure) ...Your religion can be as little as calling forth the father into all you do thereby assuring the smallest of task have been illumined for all to benefit

I like little religions, besides Mass is 30 min. too long

And you don't get the feelings I get from not having to go to church every Sunday. :thumbsup:

For the skeptics on the fence...

"Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists."

Blaise Pascal

Pascal didn't have his thinking cap on that day. What if SATAN is really in charge and believing in a God pisses him/her off? You lose BIG TIME!

There are many ways to dismiss that simplistic credo.

Be a decent human. Treat others well. Live a meaningful life.

If there really is some afterlive, and that's not good enough for whoever is in charge of our fate, do we really want to live forever in their grace? Do we really want to live with a God who is only merciful if you praise him every 10 minutes?

I have one general commandment:

1. Try not to be an !@#$.

And I have one eternal wish:

If there really is an afterlife, send me somewhere where Jerry Fallwell, Pat Roberstson and those of their ilk are not.

Pascal didn't have his thinking cap on that day. What if SATAN is really in charge and believing in a God pisses him/her off? You lose BIG TIME!

There are many ways to dismiss that simplistic credo.

Be a decent human. Treat others well. Live a meaningful life.

If there really is some afterlive, and that's not good enough for whoever is in charge of our fate, do we really want to live forever in their grace? Do we really want to live with a God who is only merciful if you praise him every 10 minutes?

I have one general commandment:

1. Try not to be an !@#$.

And I have one eternal wish:

If there really is an afterlife, send me somewhere where Jerry Fallwell, Pat Roberstson and those of their ilk are not.

Dude, you are so going to hell.