Syracuse Native Greg Paulus - QB - Buffalo Bills

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/20...shot_at_th.html

By John Kekis, AP Sports Writer

After playing point guard at Duke and quarterback at Syracuse, Greg Paulus is ready for a new frontier — the NFL.

“You dream of these things. To have this opportunity, I wanted to take advantage of it,” the 23-year-old Paulus said as he prepared for today’s pro day before at least a dozen NFL teams at Syracuse University. “In the back of my mind this was definitely something I wanted. Hopefully, we’re going to get some positive feedback. I’ll do the best I can.”

Paulus ended his one-year career with the Orange with two school records — most completions and highest completion rate. He started all 12 games of a 4-8 season, completing 193 of 285 passes (67.7 percent) with 14 interceptions and 13 touchdowns for 2,024 yards.

Orange head coach Doug Marrone, in his rookie year at his alma mater, tabbed Paulus as the team’s starter in preseason camp last August — less than a week after seeing him throw a pass in person for the first time.

Paulus, a former CBA star, said he has been working out with Orange strength and conditioning coach Will Hicks and has boosted his weight to 204 pounds and strengthened his arm.

“It’s gotten a lot stronger. It’s not even close,” he said.

“I feel good about that. I’m always trying to get stronger, faster, continuing to build footwork,” Paulus said. “I didn’t have as much time to prepare for the season. Being able to work on footwork has been a huge thing. Being able to throw on a consistent basis has allowed my arm and my timing to be better. I’m just trying to continue to get better.”

Hicks said Wednesday that the 12 to 15 NFL teams Syracuse expects at pro day all want to take a look at Paulus.

“Considering when he first got here, he’s made great progress as far as his body weight, strength, core stability, arm strength, those type of things,” Hicks said. “I’ve been getting a lot of interest.... He’s going to have a legitimate opportunity. He’s a hard worker, he’s got all the charisma and leadership skills and the smarts. I just hope he improved enough physically to give himself an opportunity.”

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/20...shot_at_th.html

After playing point guard at Duke and quarterback at Syracuse, Greg Paulus is ready for a new frontier — the NFL.

“You dream of these things. To have this opportunity, I wanted to take advantage of it,” the 23-year-old Paulus said as he prepared for today’s pro day before at least a dozen NFL teams at Syracuse University. “In the back of my mind this was definitely something I wanted. Hopefully, we’re going to get some positive feedback. I’ll do the best I can.”

Paulus ended his one-year career with the Orange with two school records — most completions and highest completion rate. He started all 12 games of a 4-8 season, completing 193 of 285 passes (67.7 percent) with 14 interceptions and 13 touchdowns for 2,024 yards.

Orange head coach Doug Marrone, in his rookie year at his alma mater, tabbed Paulus as the team’s starter in preseason camp last August — less than a week after seeing him throw a pass in person for the first time.

Paulus, a former CBA star, said he has been working out with Orange strength and conditioning coach Will Hicks and has boosted his weight to 204 pounds and strengthened his arm.

“It’s gotten a lot stronger. It’s not even close,” he said.

“I feel good about that. I’m always trying to get stronger, faster, continuing to build footwork,” Paulus said. “I didn’t have as much time to prepare for the season. Being able to work on footwork has been a huge thing. Being able to throw on a consistent basis has allowed my arm and my timing to be better. I’m just trying to continue to get better.”

Hicks said Wednesday that the 12 to 15 NFL teams Syracuse expects at pro day all want to take a look at Paulus.

“Considering when he first got here, he’s made great progress as far as his body weight, strength, core stability, arm strength, those type of things,” Hicks said. “I’ve been getting a lot of interest.... He’s going to have a legitimate opportunity. He’s a hard worker, he’s got all the charisma and leadership skills and the smarts. I just hope he improved enough physically to give himself an opportunity.”

Just graduated from Syracuse in May. Saw plenty of Paulus last season. This is not a guy you want to be your starting QB. I do think that he could POSSIBLY be a backup in the league after he spends more time preparing to play football (ie: bulking up, working on footwork, decision making, etc.). He's pretty small and thin, and would get pounded in the NFL. In terms of the Bills, please God no to Paulus.

Obviously there's plenty of us Buffalo Bills fans here in Syracuse. And we Buffalo Bills fans in Syracuse would LOVE to see Paulus in a Buffalo Bills uniform.

As a backup. For at least two seasons and he has to improve.

Ralph Wilson would probably go for it. It's a revenue producer due to more ticket and jersey sales!

AND we Buffalo Bills fans here in Syracuse are still waiting to see a Buffalo Bills pre-season football game at the Carrier Dome!

I think Greg Paulus is realizing that he made a bad financial decision.

By all accounts he's a great kid and his teammates loved him. There aren't a lot of people in sports talented enough to be a 3 year starter in one of the best basketball teams in the nation. Then a year later he starts for a D1 school after not having played for 4 years. Don't forget, as a high school senior he was one of the most highly recruited QB's in the nation. He made the decision to go to Duke because it was his lifelong dream. Unfortunately for him it isn't the best way to a huge paycheck.

I think his train has left the station but if Trent Edwards had Greg Paulus's leadership and charisma he'd already be an all-pro.

I like it. Quick, sign this kid to a 5 year obscene contract. Give him his Surf Board Bonus in the 5th year so when we don't resign him he can join Rob Johnson, Todd Collins and J.P. Losman in California (where all the bulls**t Buffalo Bills QB decisions go). Kind of like a Bills QB early retirement community :thumbsup:

Just graduated from Syracuse in May. Saw plenty of Paulus last season. This is not a guy you want to be your starting QB. I do think that he could POSSIBLY be a backup in the league after he spends more time preparing to play football (ie: bulking up, working on footwork, decision making, etc.). He's pretty small and thin, and would get pounded in the NFL. In terms of the Bills, please God no to Paulus.

What he said.

I would love to have Paulus on the Bills - Id buy that jersey in a heartbeat! So would my brother!

Of course my last name is Paulus - so that might have something to do with it. :wallbash:

Any relation?

AND we Buffalo Bills fans here in Syracuse are still waiting to see a Buffalo Bills pre-season football game at the Carrier Dome!
that would be a very very sweet move!

Won't happen. I asked Russ Brandon about it a few years ago, and the Bills don't like the Carrier Dome. Plus, if you remember, the Carrier Dome is not air conditioned, that place is like an oven in August.

Obviously there's plenty of us Buffalo Bills fans here in Syracuse. And we Buffalo Bills fans in Syracuse would LOVE to see Paulus in a Buffalo Bills uniform.

As a backup. For at least two seasons and he has to improve.

Ralph Wilson would probably go for it. It's a revenue producer due to more ticket and jersey sales!

So you want him as a backup? And "he has to improve"? What does that mean?

Look, if you want to see him in a Bills uniform, buy him a jersey, a helmet, and some pants.

Signing Paulus would not make for a good story, it would only confirm the lack of direction in the Bills FO.