I am glad we arn't running out signing Free Agents.

Building through the draft is still to this day the BEST way to build a team, and make no mistake we are rebuilding. We have tossed big money at free agents and have **** to show for it.

I also really don't like this group of free agents. None are a must have in my book including Peppers. I am looking for Nix to do like New England does and find mid tier guys that come in, fit the systems we are running and make this a winning team.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Building through the draft is still to this day the BEST way to build a team, and make no mistake we are rebuilding. We have tossed big money at free agents and have **** to show for it.

I also really don't like this group of free agents. None are a must have in my book including Peppers. I am looking for Nix to do like New England does and find mid tier guys that come in, fit the systems we are running and make this a winning team.

And in another 5 years we will be competetive....

I complete agree with being happy about them not instantly hitting the FA market (as far as we know). Let's face it, we need a lot of help. Hopefully they will be smart about it.

By that I mean get quality YOUNG guys via FA. Players that could easily be on this team for years and years as the Bills get better.

Lets look at our O for instance. As far as players that could potentially start for a playoff caliber team, I count 3 1/2. Evans, Jackson/Lynch(which I count as 1 entity bc they both cannot start), Levitre, and Wood (Wood is the half bc he may not play this season). So who exactly is going to play? I mean jus tlook at the OL. Hangartner and Leviter? Gimme a break Hangartner has no business starting for any team. We dont have a choice, its not possible to draft that many guys. Go after some FAs

How many players on the Colts played for another team?

I don't remember the exact number, but it is single digits, and one of them is Vinaterri.

They seem to be pretty competitive.

Washington is constantly going through another big change, because they spend a ton of cash on aging players in FA, and it never seems to work out.

Players that are truly invaluable to their teams never hit free-agency. Ones that do are guys that are not worth the asinine amount of money they are going to demand.

Lets look at our O for instance. As far as players that could potentially start for a playoff caliber team, I count 3 1/2. Evans, Jackson/Lynch(which I count as 1 entity bc they both cannot start), Levitre, and Wood (Wood is the half bc he may not play this season). So who exactly is going to play? I mean jus tlook at the OL. Hangartner and Leviter? Gimme a break Hangartner has no business starting for any team. We dont have a choice, its not possible to draft that many guys. Go after some FAs

What's with this woody for Hangartner? And Wood may not play this year??

I'm with the original post....IF Nix/ Whaley are better drafters than the previous administrations.

The draft is the best way to build but you don't discount free agency when you have a large number of needs.

There are a couple free agents we should make a run at but we should wait until the big money of week one has been spent. Spending money on FA's isn't bad if you get the right FA's. New England has a reputation of getting top tier talent as well as the mid tier. Colvin, Moss, Dillon were top tier.

Agreed we are looking at the old geezer version of free agency this year but we do need to make some additions to the teams that are good. Especially when the Jets and Dolphins seem to be active. These changes may come through trades as well. I just have no clue to what Nix and crew are planning or who they are planning on bringing in.

I know JPS. Come on Thoner7, I'm pissed too about taking McCargo instead of Mangold but Hangartner isn't that bad. Back to the thread though, the draft is the lifeblood, but in this day and age, you gotta use free agency to a certain extent. Do it smart. Not many are screaming Peppers, Peppers.........but there are players out there who don't require 20M per year who can improve positions and units on this team.....Kevin Walter, Ben Watson, LJ Smith, Antonio Bryant, Dwan Edwards, Jamal Williams just to name a few. Also, some smart trades like Shaun Rogers in Cleveland are currently there for the taking. The draft is the hamburger and these guys are the toppings. I'm hungry now damn it.

We need some immediate help at NT, linebacker and OT. Buddy needs to find some help in FA for one or two of these areas while we build.

We need some immediate help at NT, linebacker and OT. Buddy needs to find some help in FA for one or two of these areas while we build.

What Buddy needs to do is start rebuilding. If he can find some short term help in FA while we rebuild then great. But it is not a priority in my book. We didn't go down the crapper in one year, it took many. So don't expect to rise like the phoeNix in one year either. I fully expect us to end this coming season with a worse record than last season. Which is normal when you have a massive rebuild in progress. If we end up even with last season I will call it a big success.

How many players on the Colts played for another team?

How many Bill Polian's are running other teams?

I'm not one to believe in building anything through free agency (the Bills OL in 07-08), but it's not the plague either. With starting and depth needs all over the field, not signing players might hurt them.

I agree that now is not the time to be heavy into free agency as we are a team in total rebuilding mode, but there is a time to use free agency- that time is when you are close but a few players short of being a super-bowl contender.

Buddy said it himself that we aren't going to fix this team in one year through FA or the draft...so I say set up your draft plan sooner than later and sign some mid to high level FA ASAP before they all disappear.

Exactly. If I am Nix I try to move Whitner, Marshawn etal to get more draft picks.