Jamal Williams Soon To Be Free Agent!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, this is a sal cap move more than anything else.

No cap in 2010, but I agree it is a financial decision as AJ Smith tries to continue to turn over his roster, which he usually does pretty proactively and occasionally a year or two too soon. I don't know what kind of 2012 Jamal will have, but I have no reason to doubt his ability to perform in 2010.

Remember also, in terms of the wear and tear, he came into last season in better shape and a little lighter than usual, and last season he took the whole season off for a freak injury to the triceps that should not be affected by his size/weight. So his body got a full season off from the hits and wear and tear and everything other than his triceps (which the physical would check out pretty aggressively) I would expect would be BETTER than at the start of 2009 when he was a recent pro bowler penciled in as a key part of the D for everybody's Super Bowl darling.

If we lose Jamal because another team is more appealing to him, nothing we can do about that. But I don't see any reason we would not be one of the most interested teams or have performance/usefulness questions about him.

I missed the memo a week ago that Casey Hampton was given a new contract. However, it's his 10th season, and would be Jamal Williams' 13th season, I believe. Big rigs tend to blow tires easily. Just sayin'.

True but would Jamal opt to go be a back-up for probably less money in Pitt over being a starter and making more money with one of the teams desperate for a true NT like Williams?

<H3 class=free>Jamal has four immediate suitors</H3>5:10PM ET

Jamal Williams | <A href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sdg">Chargers

Top Email 1643.jpg The San Diego Chargers will be looking for an heir apparent to Jamal Williams as the starting nose tackle in this year's draft. Possibilities include Alabama's Terrence Cody, Tennessee's Dan Williams and UNC's Cam Thomas. However, one Chargers beat writer thinks that the future might come sooner than later at the position. While breaking down the Chargers' possible game plan for April, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune wrote, "Jamal Williams might be too expensive ($6 million) to bring back, and even if he returns for 2010, he is almost certainly finished as a Charger after that."

On Thursday, Kassim Osgood had an interesting tweet: "Jamal Williams is officially gone too! who is next? stay tuned." Acee confirmed the report quickly thereafter.

Unless Williams' health has declined so rapidly that he can't play at all, we'd expect him to draw serious interest from the Bills -- who need a NT to convert to a 3-4 -- as well as the Cardinals, Chiefs and Dolphins, who are looking for an upgrade.

Here's my question to you all, how would you feel if J. Williams was our one and only BIG signing? How would you feel then?

there is not going to any big signings. We will get 3,4,5 maybe 6 players to help with the rebuild. How many free agents are worth big contracts this year anyway ?

there is not going to any big signings. We will get 3,4,5 maybe 6 players to help with the rebuild. How many free agents are worth big contracts this year anyway ?

I agree, but what if JW was the main signing? Would you be happy?

I agree, but what if JW was the main signing? Would you be happy?

if jw is part of a group of three or 4 solid guys I think that is a good start. Lets say foote, williams and maybe porter . how would that be

What I think is that the new free agant rules killed us. Under normal circumstances there would have been a decent amount of off line talent available and I think Ralph might have been in a buying mood.

Here's my question to you all, how would you feel if J. Williams was our one and only BIG signing? How would you feel then?

I would be a little disappointed, but overall not too unhappy. I just don't see us really addressing O-Line or QB with a pro bowl free agent, which is what Jamal is, so he could be our BIG signing, and then sign role players and draft well. Of course if we could have a big money spree and land ourselves O-Linemen the caliber of Dockery and L. Walker all our problems could be solved :thumbsup:

I would be a little disappointed, but overall not too unhappy. I just don't see us really addressing O-Line or QB with a pro bowl free agent, which is what Jamal is, so he could be our BIG signing, and then sign role players and draft well. Of course if we could have a big money spree and land ourselves O-Linemen the caliber of Dockery and L. Walker all our problems could be solved :thumbsup:

Thankfully, John Guy is gone. Hopefully, the new regime have a lot more hits than misses on free agent acquisitions!