Your favorite obscure actors/actresses

JACK, that is. A great site, Vincent schiavelli, Luis guzman, and Bruce mcgill are three that really jumped out, but there r many more on there that I enjoy

Funny this thread gets started today, I was just looking at this webpage yesterday...

"That Guy"!

Have you ever been watching TV or a movie and pointed to the screen and said, "Hey! It's That Guy!"? Well, here is where you'll find him. This page is dedicated to the character actors collectively known as "That Guy". That Guy is easy to recognize and difficult to place. You can describe him but not name him. If someone asks, "Do you know the old grubby guy with a big belly and wild white hair that always wears a beat up brown derby and plays a drunk in westerns?" You'll know exactly who they mean, but you'll have no idea that his name is Dub Taylor.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

three great calls. I'll add to my massive tally:

Ned Sparks

Elisha Cook Jr

John Cazale

Paul Naschy

Rainbeaux Smith

Warren Oates

Sid Haig

Neville Brand

Lee Van Cleef

Jack Elam

John Payne

PJ Soles

William Finley

Thanks. You have some very good choices as well. I saw that you picked JK Simmons earlier. <_<

You really think that Lee Van Cleef falls under "obscure?" He has a good long list of films and while he is not an "A-Lister", I would think that most people would know him.

Then again I did pick Christopher Lee, and if it was'nt for Lord of the Rings and Episode II & III, he might still be obscure.

Then again I did pick Christopher Lee, and if it was'nt for Lord of the Rings and Episode II & III, he might still be obscure.

Lee also had a role as a Bond villain in the 70s as the Man With The Golden Gun, which IMO was the inspiration for Fantasy Island

.Then again I did pick Christopher Lee, and if it was'nt for Lord of the Rings and Episode II & III, he might still be obscure.

Unless you are an old horror film fan.

Thanks. You have some very good choices as well. I saw that you picked JK Simmons earlier. :w00t:

You really think that Lee Van Cleef falls under "obscure?" He has a good long list of films and while he is not an "A-Lister", I would think that most people would know him.

I think Lee Van Cleef physically changed so much over the course of his career a lot of people just lost track of him. In many noir he was this thin weaselly guy, in spaghetti westerns this bald tough guy with a bushy mustache. it literally took me ten years to realize the Lee Van Cleef from kansas City Confidential was the same guy who was in The Octagon. I think people recognize him, but I do wonder if they are able to connect the name to the face. But I could be wrong--I tend to get horribly confused about what's popular and what isn't.

For a good time try to hunt down a song by King Stitt called The Ugly One (aka Lee Van Cleef). It's this crazy reggae song from the early 70s about how much Lee Van Cleef is a badass.

he was the boss in 'Yes Dear' which was fairly recent, he also does a lot of animation voicing(spongebob, flapjack etc)...the younger Murray brother is also one of those "That Guy!"'s

Joel Murray

I've always enjoyed any role I saw Brian Doyle-Murray in. I'm sure the average person has no idea who he is. He really hasn't done much in years though.

I just mentioned The Man Who Would Be King in another thread. That lead me back here. While not an "obscure" actor, he belongs in what this thread has become: Michael Caine.

Michael Caine is great in every movie, even if the movie sucks.

No, even Caine sucked in Jaws: The Revenge. But that's not his fault, everything sucked in Jaws: The Revenge

While it is hard to believe Caine sucked, I will take your word for it. I never bothered to watch Jaws: The Revenge. Why would anyone watch that?

While it is hard to believe Caine sucked, I will take your word for it. I never bothered to watch Jaws: The Revenge. Why would anyone watch that?

You never saw The Swarm, did you? I was just watching bits of it on YouTube earlier this evening.

Caine completely mails it in with that movie, and it's just terrible all the way around.

Read the book that The Swarm is based on (same title) by Arthur Herzog. I read it in high school. That was truly a terrifying story.

And my pics:

Terry O'Quinn (although with Lost's success, maybe he's too famous now)

Bruce McGill, who was D-Day in Animal House. He's gained quite a bit of weight over the last three decades and looks nothing like that now, but he is a very good character actor.

...and the guy in the recent Old Spice commercial. :thumbsup: