Your favorite obscure actors/actresses

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice choices for the most part. But, as noted, these are not very obscure, IMO. That's OK, moving on in the spirit of the thread...

Let's add:

Wallace Shawn

Ned Beatty

Rip Torn (poor drunken bastard)

Stephen Root

Parker Posey

Joan Chen

James Woods

Peter Boyle

Zooey Deschanel

Robert Forster

Ving Rhames

Ossie Davis

Mos Def

More to come, probably...

You forgot RZA...................no really, Mos Def was great in Be Kind Rewind.

You forgot RZA...................no really, Mos Def was great in Be Kind Rewind.

The RZA, the GZA, Old Dirty Bastard...

No, really Mos Def really is an interesting actor, from what I have seen. And he has a pretty long list of credits:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0080049/

How about Lyle Lovett. Another cat who is a good character actor, IMO.

mos def was great in 16 blocks...with bruce willis.....not much of a plot

but very enjoyable......

tom sizemore...great in heat....now a freakin mess......

william peterson great in To live and die in LA......

I am sure there is more.....

Christopher Lee

David Ogden Stiers

Mykelti Williamson

Ernest Thesiger

Cillian Murphy

Tom Conway

Dwight Frye

Lauren Graham

Jane Seymour

three great calls. I'll add to my massive tally:

Ned Sparks

Elisha Cook Jr

John Cazale

Paul Naschy

Rainbeaux Smith

Warren Oates

Sid Haig

Neville Brand

Lee Van Cleef

Jack Elam

John Payne

PJ Soles

William Finley

three great calls. I'll add to my massive tally:

Ned Sparks

Elisha Cook Jr

John Cazale

Paul Naschy

Rainbeaux Smith

Warren Oates

Sid Haig

Neville Brand

Lee Van Cleef

Jack Elam

John Payne

PJ Soles

William Finley

<_<

I'll add:

Michael Rooker

Vincent D Onofrio

R. Lee Ermey

Bruce Campbell

Nick Stahl

Bijou Phillips

Michael Pitt

Henry Rollins - terrible actor but I make a point to see all of his work.

<_<

I'll add:

Michael Rooker

Vincent D Onofrio

R. Lee Ermey

Bruce Campbell

Can't believe it took this long for someone to mention Bruce Campbell. Great addition.

As for D'Onofrio...pass. But that's just me. I think he's horrible on L&O CI.

Can't believe it took this long for someone to mention Bruce Campbell. Great addition.

As for D'Onofrio...pass. But that's just me. I think he's horrible on L&O CI.

I don't watch those L&O shows, I forgot he was even in one. I just like him as Private Leonard.

Funny this thread gets started today, I was just looking at this webpage yesterday...

"That Guy"!

Have you ever been watching TV or a movie and pointed to the screen and said, "Hey! It's That Guy!"? Well, here is where you'll find him. This page is dedicated to the character actors collectively known as "That Guy". That Guy is easy to recognize and difficult to place. You can describe him but not name him. If someone asks, "Do you know the old grubby guy with a big belly and wild white hair that always wears a beat up brown derby and plays a drunk in westerns?" You'll know exactly who they mean, but you'll have no idea that his name is Dub Taylor.

Fun topic!

I didn't really have any ideas when I started reading, but there have been a ton of great ones so far. Here's my Best Of from what people have posted already:

Harry Dean Stanton

Kevin Corrigan

Wallace Shawn

Philip Baker Hall

Mos Def

PJ Soles

Takashi Shimura

Scatman Crothers

And a few more off the wall suggestions...

Yaphet Kotto

Tony Roberts, just in the Woody Allen stuff (ok and maybe for The Love Boat)

Paul Simon (for that matter)

Kumar Pallana

I don't watch those L&O shows, I forgot he was even in one. I just like him as Private Leonard.

? Full Metal Jacket? He was very good in that.

He seems to have become a mugger, at least that's what he does in L&O. A real ham. Maybe he's following the Al Pacino model.

? Full Metal Jacket? He was very good in that.

He seems to have become a mugger, at least that's what he does in L&O. A real ham. Maybe he's following the Al Pacino model.

I could see that. Some of these actors/actresses are real hacks but have had the fortune of landing a perfect role or two. I guess thats why alot of these people remain typecast.

Funny this thread gets started today, I was just looking at this webpage yesterday...

"That Guy"!

Have you ever been watching TV or a movie and pointed to the screen and said, "Hey! It's That Guy!"? Well, here is where you'll find him. This page is dedicated to the character actors collectively known as "That Guy". That Guy is easy to recognize and difficult to place. You can describe him but not name him. If someone asks, "Do you know the old grubby guy with a big belly and wild white hair that always wears a beat up brown derby and plays a drunk in westerns?" You'll know exactly who they mean, but you'll have no idea that his name is Dub Taylor.

That reminds me:

William Fichtner. The quintessential obscure "that guy" actor, and a very good one. Also a local boy: born on Long Island, but raised in Cheektowaga, went to high school at Maryvale, and is a die-hard Sabres fan.

"That Guy"!

A lot of good ones there. Jack Gilford really caught my eye as soon as I opened the page.

I think a guy like Sam Elliot might be a little too well known to make that page.