What to do at #9 if top 4 OT's are now gone  

68 members have voted

1. 1. See the 4 scenarios in the original post

• Scenario 1
    • Scenario 2
    • Scenario 3
    • Scenario 4
    • Other - post what it would be

Here is the thing about Sea and Claussen that is just one more reason why I think they pass at #6 and address the line first. Carrol's ego isnt going to want to come back into the NFL and go through a slow start. He isnt going to want to be on the outside looking in come playoff time. Because of this, Hasselbeck will be the starter no matter if they draft Claussen or not...for that reason, taking a top OL prospect will give him the most impact going into next season.

I really think Sea goes OL and then RB at 6 and 14 and tries to revive that offense. If Claussen falls to us, maybe they try and make a move for him for the future. If he falls to them at 14 I think they certainly take him. But I just dont think they will take him at 6 with all his question marks and will go with the more likley impact player on the OL first.

Just my opinnion based on what I have seen from Carrol living in So Cal and watching his SC run.

I think you're underestimating Carroll. He's not going to sacrifice his long-term interests for short-term gain.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of your mock draft scenarios are well thought out and quite possible. However, beginning this Saturday, teams can sign UFA's, and until the top free agents are signed up - and there are 6 weeks for teams to sign them before the draft party starts on a Thursday night this year, mock drafts are pretty much a moot point, aren't they? What if Nix shocks all of us by signing Pennington to a 5 year deal? That rules out Clausen right? What if Nix can make a deal for a starting - caliber LT in free agency? Now they don't need to draft one of the top OT's, right? Until Nix makes his obligatory GM-speak "we're all set for now, we'll see who's still around come June 1 after the draft" announcement, I would hold off on making mock draft predictions altogehter.

Signs Pennington? Terrence Pennington at RT? Because Chad has long since proved he has the arm for balmy Miami but not for the windy northeast, and Nix has said that you need a very strong-armed QB in Buffalo to throw through the wind.

And there are no starting caliber LTs in free agency. That's the problem. People keep shouting for Bushrod, Alex Barron or Levi Jones or Levi Brown and they are all really really bad. Teams don't trade competent LTs (with one major recent exception ... wince ... and that team is now likely to have to spend their first-rounder on an LT. Teams notice that stuff.) so it would be crazy to hope for that, but I suppose it's on the edge of possible. Let's hope for something like that. If Nix can get a competent starter on the line before the draft, I personally would hail him as a genius and have much more long-term hope for this franchise going forward.

Mostly, though, you're right, we should all hold off till FA is winding down. But it's already so BORING except for this stuff.

This team is rebuilding, even if nobody will say the words. We WILL be bad next year.

In that situation, we'll take Clausen, I bet. You should never pass on a franchise QB unless you have one, and Clausen is one.

I don't think the first 8 picks will be as predictable as you think, but good job anyway.

God please let Clausen fall to us and if he does don't let us be dumb enough to pass him up.

Any scenario that involves us drafting Berry is nothing less than stupidity and insanity (not directed at you personally).

The Bills really suck and what the just cannot afford is this years version of Mike Williams, Donte Whitner, JP Losman, or even McKelvin, who might really be a gadget player for all we know. They is no more room for this kind of idiocy. It simply cannot continue.

I love the Bills as much as anybody on this board. They are an expensive hobby too, and I don't bat an eyelash; I will always be a Bills fan. That said, if they draft another first round defensive back, I am going to need to take a long look not at the Bills, but at myself. I think this would drive me after all these years to take a step back. Levy is gone as is his protege Mauron. These were second rate football people who nobody else wanted. There are no more excuses for their brand of idiotic football.

Getting back to your scenario, Rolando McClain would step in and instantly make the Bills a better team imo. If Nix agrees, that would be the way to go. Sadly, I expect him to be gone before #9.

Just saw on sportscenter that Chris Samuels is going to be announcing his retirement this week.

Add that to the fact the Skins are looking more and more likely to be keeping Jason Campbell and it becomes highly unlikely they take a QB at #4 and more and more likely they go LT.

So, here is how the top 8 before could easily shape out to now:

1. Rams: QB Bradford - From everything I hear, Bradford will be #1 unless his shoulder doesnt check out.

2. Det: DT McCoy or Suh

3. TB: DT McCoy or Sub (whoever doesnt go 2 will go 3)

4. Was: OT Okung - Chris Samuels retiring and Campbell coming back points to an obvious choice of #1 rated LT here.

5. KC: OT Bualaga - 2nd best tackle at a major position of need

6. Sea: OT Davis - They have a 2nd pick at 14 so they go OT here since there wont be one at 14.

7. Cle: Joe Haden - Could be Eric Berry, butI think it will be Haden as their CB's suck. Might also be Juan Pierre-Paul

8. Raiders: OT Williams - they need major O Line help, then again Al Davis is a moron and could take anyone here

9. Bills????

That leaves us at #9 with the top 4 OT gone in this very possible scenario. What now? Couple of ideas (vote above):

1. Take the best player available which is hands down Eric Berry at this point and trade Whitner.

2. Try and trade back to 14 with Sea if they want Claussen who is still on the board...or we might also be able to trade back with Jax at 10 or SF at 13 who both would love to get their hands on Berry potentially. Trading back would get us more picks and we target McClain, Iupati, Dan Williams, etc at a lower pick.

3. Stay put at #9 and take a player of need even if that player is considered a stretch at #9

4. Stay at #9 and take Claussen.

They interviewed Claussen just in case. I like Iaputi here or possibly Campbell he is the best Athlete and or trade down or a combination of the above. The skill at being a good GM is to be flexible.

Just saw on sportscenter that Chris Samuels is going to be announcing his retirement this week.

Add that to the fact the Skins are looking more and more likely to be keeping Jason Campbell and it becomes highly unlikely they take a QB at #4 and more and more likely they go LT.

So, here is how the top 8 before could easily shape out to now:

1. Rams: QB Bradford - From everything I hear, Bradford will be #1 unless his shoulder doesnt check out.

2. Det: DT McCoy or Suh

3. TB: DT McCoy or Sub (whoever doesnt go 2 will go 3)

4. Was: OT Okung - Chris Samuels retiring and Campbell coming back points to an obvious choice of #1 rated LT here.

5. KC: OT Bualaga - 2nd best tackle at a major position of need

6. Sea: OT Davis - They have a 2nd pick at 14 so they go OT here since there wont be one at 14.

7. Cle: Joe Haden - Could be Eric Berry, butI think it will be Haden as their CB's suck. Might also be Juan Pierre-Paul

8. Raiders: OT Williams - they need major O Line help, then again Al Davis is a moron and could take anyone here

9. Bills????

That leaves us at #9 with the top 4 OT gone in this very possible scenario. What now? Couple of ideas (vote above):

1. Take the best player available which is hands down Eric Berry at this point and trade Whitner.

2. Try and trade back to 14 with Sea if they want Claussen who is still on the board...or we might also be able to trade back with Jax at 10 or SF at 13 who both would love to get their hands on Berry potentially. Trading back would get us more picks and we target McClain, Iupati, Dan Williams, etc at a lower pick.

3. Stay put at #9 and take a player of need even if that player is considered a stretch at #9

4. Stay at #9 and take Claussen.

It will take some time to see how the board is going to shake out but Bruce "Evil Dead" Campbell is starting to look good to me. I think he will be greatly helped by the combine as his measurables are ridiculous for a o-lineman. That being said, although NOT the best OL, in my opinion, I still think Bulaga might be the best fit for Buffalo.

We will not take a Safety. Again lets try to understand we have guys that actually understand how to build a winning team running the show now. This isn't the moron Marv Levy or his buttclown sidekick Russ Brandon anylonger.

If that scenario plays out the draft pick will be Clausen, you can bank on it.

It will take some time to see how the board is going to shake out but Bruce "Evil Dead" Campbell is starting to look good to me. I think he will be greatly helped by the combine as his measurables are ridiculous for a o-lineman. That being said, although NOT the best OL, in my opinion, I still think Bulaga might be the best fit for Buffalo.

Bruce Campbell is the next Robert Gallery or Tony Mandarich. The guy isn't that good on the field with his play, he just has great measurables. Look like Tarzan....play like Jane.

We will not take a Safety. Again lets try to understand we have guys that actually understand how to build a winning team running the show now. This isn't the moron Marv Levy or his buttclown sidekick Russ Brandon anylonger.

If that scenario plays out the draft pick will be Clausen, you can bank on it.

I don't think that scenario will play out but it is not impossible. If all of those tackles go and Claussen falls to us I could also see us trading out of the spot which requires a trade partner and that is NOT easy to find. We could trade down, get an extra pick like a second rounder for a RT, get our LT a little bit later in the first like a Bruce Campbell. With a NT as one of our 2 picks in the 2nd we could call the draft an A+ right there. If we managed to pick up like a Dan Leflour or some other QB prospect with a BIG NFL arm it would pretty much be the perfect draft scenario.

I hate speculating about trade down scenarios but if Claussen, a QB, falls to us it might actually be possible that someone would want to move up to get him.

Bruce Campbell is the next Robert Gallery or Tony Mandarich. The guy isn't that good on the field with his play, he just has great measurables. Look like Tarzan....play like Jane.

Not saying it didn't happen but I don't recall Robert Gallery setting the combine ablaze with his measureables. In fact Gallery's arms are even shorter than Bulaga and he comes from the same program where some say the players are already coached up to be what they can be leaving little upside. If anything Bulaga has the Robert Gallery risk but I don't hold that against him.

I 100% agree with those talking about the fact FA hasnt starterd so its too early to tell, and I honestly am not one for mock drafts anyway. But I put this up because this year is a little different than most. The needs of the top 8 are highly unlikely to be met in FA in regards to their expected draft picks in slots 1-8.

Rams are not going to solve QB issues or interior line problems in FA.

Det and TB will not find a DT like Suh and McCoy in FA, so they almost certainly go 2 and 3. Although, TB could go Okung too, but then someone would take McCoy in the next pick or two, so that doesnt change who is available at 9.

There are really no premier OT players in this years FA class, so teams like Was, KC, Sea, Oak, Det, and TB are not likely to fill that need in FA either. Its more likely they address other needs, further increasing the pressing need to shore their lines.

The wild card is Oakland...they is chance they could pass up a better OL prospect (in most peoples eyes) and take a workout wonder guy like Campbell too early instead.

In my opinnion what we need to happen to get a good OT is to see Sea draft either Berry or an available QB (Claussen or Bradford). If this happens, that should push one of the top 3 tackles to us. Add in oakland as wild card and we may get one.

So considering that going into the draft KC and Was almost certainly will still need a OT, I dont see any situation where they dont take one. Sea has more flexibility, but Carrol believes he will be in the playoffs this year, so there are a couple ways he can go here, and OL is definitely one of them. Eric Berry would also be attractive, so who knows. Oak absoultely should go OT, but you never know with Al Davis.

So, yes, its early and mocks are never that accurate anyway (except top 10 is a lot more accurate), but I just dont see the top 8 doing anything in FA that will really change the top 8 selections much. Just my opinnion...

So, yes, its early and mocks are never that accurate anyway (except top 10 is a lot more accurate), but I just dont see the top 8 doing anything in FA that will really change the top 8 selections much. Just my opinnion...

Agreed. This is obviously because the top 10 picks generally consist of LTs, QBs, and pass rushing DEs. There are very few teams as stupid as the Raiders and Bills who would waste the #7 and #8 picks on a safety, especially if they had other, more pressing needs. And, teams don't as a rule trade players at the above listed positions, or even let them become free agents (except for the Bills/Jason Peters, but the Levy/Mauron mindset is too dumb to begin to explain).

Overall, I am not crazy about this draft wrt the Bills. Do you like any qb as much as Matt Stanford? I certainly don't. If any of them was considered a real standout they would go extremely early if not first, because that is what happens with quarterbacks. I find it very telling that 2 defensive tackles are listed in the top 3 selections in many mocks. This is a rare occurence, and it too doesn't reflect well upon the quality of the LTs, DEs, and QBs.

Again, McClain is the monkey wrench of this draft imo. The kid will improve a team as soon as he steps on the field. This is why I think he will be gone before #9.

Jmo.