What to do at #9 if top 4 OT's are now gone  

68 members have voted

1. 1. See the 4 scenarios in the original post

• Scenario 1
    • Scenario 2
    • Scenario 3
    • Scenario 4
    • Other - post what it would be

Just saw on sportscenter that Chris Samuels is going to be announcing his retirement this week.

Add that to the fact the Skins are looking more and more likely to be keeping Jason Campbell and it becomes highly unlikely they take a QB at #4 and more and more likely they go LT.

So, here is how the top 8 before could easily shape out to now:

1. Rams: QB Bradford - From everything I hear, Bradford will be #1 unless his shoulder doesnt check out.

2. Det: DT McCoy or Suh

3. TB: DT McCoy or Sub (whoever doesnt go 2 will go 3)

4. Was: OT Okung - Chris Samuels retiring and Campbell coming back points to an obvious choice of #1 rated LT here.

5. KC: OT Bualaga - 2nd best tackle at a major position of need

6. Sea: OT Davis - They have a 2nd pick at 14 so they go OT here since there wont be one at 14.

7. Cle: Joe Haden - Could be Eric Berry, butI think it will be Haden as their CB's suck. Might also be Juan Pierre-Paul

8. Raiders: OT Williams - they need major O Line help, then again Al Davis is a moron and could take anyone here

9. Bills????

That leaves us at #9 with the top 4 OT gone in this very possible scenario. What now? Couple of ideas (vote above):

1. Take the best player available which is hands down Eric Berry at this point and trade Whitner.

2. Try and trade back to 14 with Sea if they want Claussen who is still on the board...or we might also be able to trade back with Jax at 10 or SF at 13 who both would love to get their hands on Berry potentially. Trading back would get us more picks and we target McClain, Iupati, Dan Williams, etc at a lower pick.

3. Stay put at #9 and take a player of need even if that player is considered a stretch at #9

4. Stay at #9 and take Claussen.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw on sportscenter that Chris Samuels is going to be announcing his retirement this week.

Add that to the fact the Skins are looking more and more likely to be keeping Jason Campbell and it becomes highly unlikely they take a QB at #4 and more and more likely they go LT.

1. Rams: QB Bradford - From everything I hear, Bradford will be #1 unless his shoulder doesnt check out.

4. Was: OT Okung - Chris Samuels retiring and Campbell coming back points to an obvious choice of #1 rated LT here.

6. Sea: OT Davis - They have a 2nd pick at 14 so they go OT here since there wont be one at 14.

7. Cle: Joe Haden - Could be Eric Berry, butI think it will be Haden as their CB's suck. Might also be Juan Pierre-Paul

8. Raiders: OT Williams - they need major O Line help, then again Al Davis is a moron and could take anyone here

9. Bills????

That leaves us at #9 with the top 4 OT gone in this very possible scenario. What now? Couple of ideas (vote above):

1. Take the best player available which is hands down Eric Berry at this point and trade Whitner.

2. Try and trade back to 14 with Sea if they want Claussen who is still on the board...or we might also be able to trade back with Jax at 10 or SF at 13 who both would love to get their hands on Berry potentially. Trading back would get us more picks and we target McClain, Iupati, Dan Williams, etc at a lower pick.

3. Stay put at #9 and take a player of need even if that player is considered a stretch at #9

Just because they extended Campbell doesnt mean theyre stuck on him, he may be a stop gap. they may very well take a QB. Matt Cassel hasnt impressed anyone KC could very well snag one, as Seatle, Cleveland, and Oakland. It just going to depend on what Jimmy Clauson does on his pro day. Just because these these mock drafts and dip ***** like Mel Kiper have players going in certain areas doesnt mean jack. These guys usually get the first 2-3 right and then everything goes to hell form there.

We're a team with a lot of needs - if there is a run at any position(s) as your mock 10 indicates, then we'll be benefiting from some other position leaders being left available, like Clausen, McClain, Williams - NT, it's not like there is only 8 studs in this draft which many believe to be one of the deepest in the last ten years.

9. Bills????

Good analysis except Suh's a lock over McCoy. If Butler hadn't retired I would have said they take Clausen here, but with obvious needs at LB too they have no choice but to take the best OL and best LB available in rounds 1 and 2. The big uncertainty with all the stud LTs gone is which round to they go OL and which LB. My guess is LB #1 (Rolando McClain), OL #2 and #3. I think McLain is an even better bet because of his 3-4 experience at Alabama.

Unless there is another OT worth #9 we better trade up before this happens or we will be 6-10.

This team is rebuilding, even if nobody will say the words. We WILL be bad next year.

In that situation, we'll take Clausen, I bet. You should never pass on a franchise QB unless you have one, and Clausen is one.

I don't think the first 8 picks will be as predictable as you think, but good job anyway.

This team is rebuilding, even if nobody will say the words. We WILL be bad next year.

In that situation, we'll take Clausen, I bet. You should never pass on a franchise QB unless you have one, and Clausen is one.

I don't think the first 8 picks will be as predictable as you think, but good job anyway.

well then suck even more so we can draft higher next year and get a better QB. i dont think Clausen is worth betting the ranch on.

You should never pass on a franchise QB unless you have one, and Clausen is one.

If that's common wisdom then Clausen is a goner. Look at the teams drafting ahead of us.

Personally I like any scenario where McClain falls to us. :thumbsup: Sadly, I'm not sure Chan would agree.

If that is how it turns out, I wouldn't mind taking either Clausen or Dan Williams with the 9th pick. No trading up though, at least trading up from our 1st pick. That is ridiculous. Trading down is questionable. Kinda hard to tell where the players will end up. If we trade down and both clausen and williams are before we pick, that would kinda suck.

9. Bills????

Sea: takes Claussen not Davis and Oak takes Campbell not Williams leaves Bills with their choice of Davis or Williams

Sea: takes Claussen not Davis and Oak takes Campbell not Williams leaves Bills with their choice of Davis or Williams

Here is the thing about Sea and Claussen that is just one more reason why I think they pass at #6 and address the line first. Carrol's ego isnt going to want to come back into the NFL and go through a slow start. He isnt going to want to be on the outside looking in come playoff time. Because of this, Hasselbeck will be the starter no matter if they draft Claussen or not...for that reason, taking a top OL prospect will give him the most impact going into next season.

I really think Sea goes OL and then RB at 6 and 14 and tries to revive that offense. If Claussen falls to us, maybe they try and make a move for him for the future. If he falls to them at 14 I think they certainly take him. But I just dont think they will take him at 6 with all his question marks and will go with the more likley impact player on the OL first.

Just my opinnion based on what I have seen from Carrol living in So Cal and watching his SC run.

Yeah, you never know. Mocks are too early now anyway without free agency even under way. But, I do think Bradford, Suh, McCoy and Okung are all a lock for top 5. Bulaga is close to a lock for top 8 too. That problem is that so many teams desperately need help at OT in the top 8 (Rams, KC, Was, Det, TB, Sea, and Oak) and there are only about 3 players that are not LT's that a surely going top 8 (Bradford, Suh, and McCoy). Cle is the only team I am certain will not go OL and most likley take Haden, Berry or Juan Pierre-Paul.

So with 7 of the 8 teams ahead of us in dire need of OL help and only 3 non O Line players almost a lock to be taken amongst them, that leaves a high probability that at least 3 and even 4 OT's will be taken.

The Raiders are the wild card...they may do something insane like draft Taylor Mays here over an OT and Eric Berry because Al Davis is a complete moron...

9. Bills????

All of your mock draft scenarios are well thought out and quite possible. However, beginning this Saturday, teams can sign UFA's, and until the top free agents are signed up - and there are 6 weeks for teams to sign them before the draft party starts on a Thursday night this year, mock drafts are pretty much a moot point, aren't they? What if Nix shocks all of us by signing Pennington to a 5 year deal? That rules out Clausen right? What if Nix can make a deal for a starting - caliber LT in free agency? Now they don't need to draft one of the top OT's, right? Until Nix makes his obligatory GM-speak "we're all set for now, we'll see who's still around come June 1 after the draft" announcement, I would hold off on making mock draft predictions altogehter.

If that's common wisdom then Clausen is a goner. Look at the teams drafting ahead of us.

Personally I like any scenario where McClain falls to us. :thumbsup: Sadly, I'm not sure Chan would agree.

Yeah, Matty, it is common wisdom, which is why QBs often go higher than you'd think. I'm afraid I think there's maybe a 5% chance, if that, that Clausen or Bradford falls to us.

I like McClain a lot, but think there are very few scenarios where we pick him. I would guess (pure guess) that we have 2 QBs, and 4 LTs ranked as high as McClain and at positions of higher need, and probably we couldn't pass on Suh or McCoy either, even though they won't play DT for us, just in terms of their awesome talent.

Yeah, you never know. Mocks are too early now anyway without free agency even under way. But, I do think Bradford, Suh, McCoy and Okung are all a lock for top 5. Bulaga is close to a lock for top 8 too. That problem is that so many teams desperately need help at OT in the top 8 (Rams, KC, Was, Det, TB, Sea, and Oak) and there are only about 3 players that are not LT's that a surely going top 8 (Bradford, Suh, and McCoy). Cle is the only team I am certain will not go OL and most likley take Haden, Berry or Juan Pierre-Paul.

So with 7 of the 8 teams ahead of us in dire need of OL help and only 3 non O Line players almost a lock to be taken amongst them, that leaves a high probability that at least 3 and even 4 OT's will be taken.

The Raiders are the wild card...they may do something insane like draft Taylor Mays here over an OT and Eric Berry because Al Davis is a complete moron...

Man, are you right about FA. I know I always do this every year, getting all confident that we know our team needs, before FA starts and changes everything.

But if Bulaga is a lock for the top eight, how come 75% of the mocks out there don't agree, even the guys with the best track records? He's not a lock for the top eight at all, far from it, though it is certainly a possibility. He's getting really positive coverage in Buffalo, but not so much so around the league.

And hey, I wish you were right because I want Clausen, but I think he's long gone, probably before Bradford.

Ahhhhh, it's all opinion anyway, especially this early.