Thomas Jones to be released by NYJ

I didn't see this posted anywhere, if it is please disregard this thread and close.

The NYJ have notified the AP that they are going to release Jones at some point this week. I have to assume that this is a monetary issue. Jones rushed for 1,402 yards and 14 TD's last season. But he is due a decent junk of change (3 Million) on top of his salary this year and he is 31. Obviously the Jets feel that it was their Oline that allowed them to lead the league in rushing last year and feel comfortable with Greene and Washington.

What are the thoughts on the Bills bringing Jones in as a possible replacement for Marshawn (if he is moved) or bringing him in to compete for the backup role?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...yAhKAAD9E63NJO3

I didn't see this posted anywhere, if it is please disregard this thread and close.

The NYJ have notified the AP that they are going to release Jones at some point this week. I have to assume that this is a monetary issue. Jones rushed for 1,402 yards and 14 TD's last season. But he is due a decent junk of change (3 Million) on top of his salary this year and he is 31. Obviously the Jets feel that it was their Oline that allowed them to lead the league in rushing last year and feel comfortable with Greene and Washington.

What are the thoughts on the Bills bringing Jones in as a possible replacement for Marshawn (if he is moved) or bringing him in to compete for the backup role?

Wouldn't mind having all 3.... And before anyone adds the we already have a 30 year old RB on the team, Freddy has much less wear and tear then Jones, don't get me wrong though Jones is an absolute warrior out there and would be great to have in the rotation if his carries are monitored. Excellent redzone RB :wallbash: Probably wants too much $ though

Wouldn't mind having all 3.... And before anyone adds the we already have a 30 year old RB on the team, Freddy has much less wear and tear then Jones, don't get me wrong though Jones is an absolute warrior out there and would be great to have in the rotation if his carries are monitored. Excellent redzone RB :wallbash: Probably wants too much $ though

I gotta agree with your assessment of Freddy, but I'm no so sure about bringing in Thomas. Yes, he is a good back, but he will probably want a fat contract after last year and I would like the Bills spending their money on other positions at this time.

Wouldn't mind having all 3.... And before anyone adds the we already have a 30 year old RB on the team, Freddy has much less wear and tear then Jones, don't get me wrong though Jones is an absolute warrior out there and would be great to have in the rotation if his carries are monitored. Excellent redzone RB :thumbsup: Probably wants too much $ though

I like Thomas, I also feel that Chester Taylor would be a solid find as well.

What makes you think that the feature back for one of the best rushing teams in the NFL last season would want to be a back-up/compete for the starters role on a rebuilding perennial cellar-dweller? Not to mention he's on the wrong side of 30, and plays probably the easiest to replace position in football. (Yea, I know.. there ARE guys at RB who aren't easy to replace. But, that can be said of every position.)

With all the issues this teams has going into next season, not mention the rebuilding project that will entail probably the next 2-4 years, I don't think RB is something we really need to concern ourselves with, at this time.

What makes you think that the feature back for one of the best rushing teams in the NFL last season would want to be a back-up/compete for the starters role on a rebuilding perennial cellar-dweller? Not to mention he's on the wrong side of 30, and plays probably the easiest to replace position in football. (Yea, I know.. there ARE guys at RB who aren't easy to replace. But, that can be said of every position.)

With all the issues this teams has going into next season, not mention the rebuilding project that will entail probably the next 2-4 years, I don't think RB is something we really need to concern ourselves with, at this time.

I don't disagree with you. I was merely posing the question. I will say this though, I think the Jets running game last year was a product of their o line more than it was of Thomas Jones. Also, as you said, he is on the wrong side of 30 so he may be forced to accept a backup role or at least a split time role, whether he wants to or not.

I don't disagree with you. I was merely posing the question. I will say this though, I think the Jets running game last year was a product of their o line more than it was of Thomas Jones. Also, as you said, he is on the wrong side of 30 so he may be forced to accept a backup role or at least a split time role, whether he wants to or not.

That very well may be.. but, he's gonna wanna do it on a much more competetive team.. say S.D., Cinci or even Pitt.

That very well may be.. but, he's gonna wanna do it on a much more competetive team.. say S.D., Cinci or even Pitt.

Don't forget the revenge factor. How many former Bills have signed with AFCE teams? The opportunity to rub your former team's nose in it twice a year cannot be ignored.

I would take Jones over Lynch in a NY minute.

Don't forget the revenge factor. How many former Bills have signed with AFCE teams? The opportunity to rub your former team's nose in it twice a year cannot be ignored.

I would take Jones over Lynch in a NY minute.

Ok, for a moment, let's assume you are Thomas Jones, and you wanna be able to "stick it" to the Jets twice a year.. you gonna go to the Bills? Or the Pats*/Fish? I know, those teams aren't exactly starved for RB talent, but even if we wanted him, I can't imagine why he'd wanna come to Buffalo. Just isn't a good fit for him.

I'm trying to think.. Who's the last Bill to go to an AFCE team, that was anywhere near as good as Thomas Jones has been the last 2 seasons?

I'm trying to think.. Who's the last Bill to go to an AFCE team, that was anywhere near as good as Thomas Jones has been the last 2 seasons?

Not sure what his goodness compared to former Bills has to do with anything. All I'm saying is don't totally write off the possibility that he would sign with Buffalo if they pursued him.

Not sure what his goodness compared to former Bills has to do with anything. All I'm saying is don't totally write off the possibility that he would sign with Buffalo if they pursued him.

Nothing.. I was just curious. Can ya think of one? The "best" I can come up with is Antowain Smith. :thumbsup:

The more of these guys that get released the less likely it is that we get good trade value for Lynch. I do don't like seeing these guys get released. I wanted it to stop at Westbrook.

Thomas Jones is possibly, the most underrated offensive player in the NFL over the last 5 years...the Bears have to be kicking themselves for letting him go, in favor of the late blooming Cedric Benson...would love to see him in Buffalo (along with Boldin, my other favorie non-Bill) but neither is going to happen. Good call, whoever said San Diego...

If we dont get him Ihope he goes to th Lions. We dont play them and Their is only about a 2% chance we face him in the SB