Our OL situation is not as dire as many of you make it out to be

One way or another, we need a LT, but other than that, I see two possible scenarios playing out-

LT

LG- Levitre

C- Wood

RG- Incognito

RT- Meredith/Bell

or what I would do...

LT

LG- Incognito

C- Hangartner

RG- Wood

RT- Levitre

Either way, assuming they re-sign Incognito and Wood is ready to go, they only need one tackle and they actually have pretty decent depth.

Agree totally... I like Bell and I like Wood at Center... Would not mind a 3rd rd pick on a RT, but, I am hoping for a QB or a game changer at #9...

I just saw a post where a guy is talking about drafting a tackle in each of the first two rounds!?! I really believe our OL is not as far away as say, our QB situation or even our WR's at this point.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey bozo, the Bills allowed fewer sacks and averaged more yards per carry than both the Packers and Steelers last year as per nfl.com. And those are two teams with QB's who got big runs and know how to avoid sacks; if you looked at just RB yards per carry, there would be even more of a disparity. Maybe they could use some of our guys.

I got your bozo right here...

Another stat guy, stats are meaningless concerning sacks. Go by experience per player and how many players played in each position on the line. The Bills were a constant revolving door in every position except center.

No other team in the NFL suffered as many offensive line changes as the Bills did, you seem to forget that the Bills have a QB nicknamed "captain checkdown" because he was constantly dumping the ball to the RB's to avoid the pressure, that is the biggest reason the Bills didn't set records for sacks allowed.

OTOH Rothlisberger and Rodgers both had a tendency to hold on to the ball waiting for their receivers to get open, even their coaches mentioned this during the season.

Fred Jackson was given the starting RB job because he was more elusive then Lynch and could get more yards by breaking the tackle after the initial hit, it wasn't because the O line was playing great.

The Bills had the worst O line in the NFL last season, no question about it. If you doubt this, watch and see the changes the new head coach makes.

(As always JMO) I think you're missing the point. If you look at his post he has the LT space empty meaning it needs to be filled. Bell or Meredith could play RT and the interior of the line is solid. The left tackle hopefully will be a stud at the #9 pick. All the Bills need to have a solid and maybe above average line is a LT. Wood, Levitre, Hangartner make a good interior and there is enough talent backing them up to have a solid guard unit. I doubt Incognito will be re-signed. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy Chansaw likes. If they do re-sign him then the guard depth is really good." Do we still have Kendall Simmons ? I thought he looked good until he got hurt. He would be a good backup guard.

One way or another, we need a LT, but other than that, I see two possible scenarios playing out-

LT

LG- Levitre

C- Wood

RG- Incognito

RT- Meredith/Bell

or what I would do...

LT

LG- Incognito

C- Hangartner

RG- Wood

RT- Levitre

Either way, assuming they re-sign Incognito and Wood is ready to go, they only need one tackle and they actually have pretty decent depth.

I just saw a post where a guy is talking about drafting a tackle in each of the first two rounds!?! I really believe our OL is not as far away as say, our QB situation or even our WR's at this point.

You can't be serious, are you? Am I being Punked?

I think that we almost have to draft an LT in the first round and it is quite likely one of the four blue chippers will be available. We could do worse than to pick a second OT in the second. We are weak or non-existent at both tackles. Further we need depth at tackle as they do seem to get injured throughout the season, let alone an injury that knocks them out for the season. Third, it is not impossible that a good OT can play a utility backup gaurd.

That being said, if there are great defensive linemen available, or a terrific linebacker, we might go that way in round 2. I suspect we will finish this draft with 5 or so linemen if we are really going to begin the job of rebuilding.

Perhaps maybe 2 of the Bills O line players currently on the roster would even start for the Steelers or Packers, both those teams with supposedly bad O lines. Even then both Hangartner and Levitre might be backups due to inexperience.

The only positions that are locked on the Bills O line are-center and guard, the Bills might need another guard depending on how Wood recovers. But they definitely need both LT & RT. Plus they still lack a dominate blocking tight end.

I agree

Think they will go LT first in the draft...maybe pick up a tackle free agent and still draft either D-line or QB in the second.

Cant wait for draft day <_<

I agree

Think they will go LT first in the draft...maybe pick up a tackle free agent and still draft either D-line or QB in the second.

Cant wait for draft day <_<

That would definitely make the most sense. However, what makes "common sense" does not always make "Bills sense".

The OL is a mess. No matter what names the Bills end up with on their list, they simply will not have NFL game reps working together as a unit.

"Our OL situation is not as dire as many of you make it out to be" - original thread poster

It's much worse. The line is in shambles. How about no offensive tackles of NFL quality to begin with dude. Have you any idea what a good offensive line looks like? Apparently not.

LT- Bell

LG- Levitre

C- Hangartner

RG- Wood

RT- Incognito

Meredith will be the backup T and Simmons will be the backup G...

That is my guess if we don't draft an OT in rd 1 which is very very possible.

I wouldn't mind this line for a year as long as Bell progressed. He is a superb athlete. As good an athlete as any OL in the draft. He has my confidence. I also like Meredith and wouldn't mind him in a pinch. Incognito was drafted as a OT and had some of the best workouts ever at the combine. He is a good player as well. Lets hope the change of location is what he needed.

LT- Bell

LG- Levitre

C- Hangartner

RG- Wood

RT- Incognito

I wouldn't mind this line for a year as long as Bell progressed. He is a superb athlete. As good an athlete as any OL in the draft. He has my confidence. I also like Meredith and wouldn't mind him in a pinch. Incognito was drafted as a OT and had some of the best workouts ever at the combine. He is a good player as well. Lets hope the change of location is what he needed.

I don't mean to be rude, but what is all of this based on?

What have you seen from Bell that would lead you to believe that he is a "superb" athlete? He was awful last season. Rookie or not, his performance was brutal. Tons of penalties, tons of sacks allowed.

Incognito was drafted as a center and has not started a game at tackle since his sophomore year in college. His combine workout was far from the best ever, as he did a mere 3 drills before falling and injuring his knee. He bench pressed 225 lbs 29 times, which would rank tied for 10th among combine attendees this year. His 4.89 40-yd dash would rank 3rd among combine attendees this year. He has 44 career starts combined at LG, C, and RG. He was cut from a Rams team with a pitiful offensive line. He played in 3 games for Buffalo, one of which the team failed to top 40 yards rushing against Atlanta.

At best, Buffalo has to hope for improvement from Levitre and Hangartner, pray that Wood gets healthy enough to start at RG (I'd say that's 50/50 at this point), draft a LT, and hope that they can find a starter at RT from later rounds of the draft or between Meredith and Bell.

Just my 1 cent.

I like a levitre wood incognito with hangartner backing up gaurd /center

I guess we could grab a retread right tackle off the scrap heap in free agency but we have to get a left tackle . Bell and meredith offer some depth .Not perfect but if we hit on our draft pick a heck of a lot better then we had in the recent past .

LT- Bell

LG- Levitre

C- Hangartner

RG- Wood

RT- Incognito

Hitting the glue a little late today, eh?

Bell a superb "athlete"? The Bills have a better chance of converting Bell to tight end than leaving him on the Oline.

As ridiculous as this apparently sounds to many of you, forget Bell for a second- but let's say a) they draft Bulaga and he's decent, b) Wood is ready to go and c) they re-sign Incognito, so you got Bulaga, Levitre, Wood, Hangartner and Incognito (the white knights) as your OL w/ Bell, Meredith and Simmons or a FA as backups. Does that completely suck? Who amongst those starters sucks? This is all I was trying to say in the original post. Relative to our QB and WR situations, it might not end up being all that bad.

As ridiculous as this apparently sounds to many of you, forget Bell for a second- but let's say a) they draft Bulaga and he's decent, b) Wood is ready to go and c) they re-sign Incognito, so you got Bulaga, Levitre, Wood, Hangartner and Incognito (the white knights) as your OL w/ Bell, Meredith and Simmons or a FA as backups. Does that completely suck? Who amongst those starters sucks? This is all I was trying to say in the original post. Relative to our QB and WR situations, it might not end up being all that bad.

Just because Levitre was a decent guard, that does not automatically mean he will be a decent tackle.

Thus, moving him to OT creates a giant question mark at the position.

What I want to know is, would it have been better if the Bills had paid Peters $10M/year to be the 18th best OT last year (after being the 46th best OT in 2008, according to that profootballfocus link), or looking for a LT in this draft?