Peter King MMQB today

ACor58

Just add a southern drawl to the unnamed "club architect" and tell me it doesn't sound like something Buddy Nix would say...

The Scouting Combine is coming ... but I wish you wouldn't get very excited about it.

In my calls around the league in the last few days, I spoke to one club architect who shall remain nameless at his request. He told me his team had changed its way of doing business in the scouting realm this year, and his team's draft board is "90 percent set.''

Quoth this architect: "You know why it's 90 percent set now? Because guys go to the Scouting Combine and they change their grade on a player based on things that have nothing to do with playing football. I'm convinced if you took the stopwatches away from a lot of these guys, most of 'em would not be able to tell you whether they liked a player or not.

"These guys go out and watch players all fall, then we all watch the tape of all these guys, and we see what kind of football players they are. That's scouting. Who plays good football in pads? That's scouting. Now we need the combine for the medical evaluations and the personal baggage stuff. But don't come in after the combine and tell me you want to change some guy and move him way up because he ran faster than you thought he would. That's where you get in trouble, and that's why our draft board is pretty well set.''

If I told you who this speaker was, you'd all say, "Whoa, we have to listen to this guy. We respect him.'' Just take my word for it. He's legit.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously it's not Nix. Just reread the last line. :P

What he should have said was...

If I told you who this speaker was, you'd all say, except the posters on TSW, "Whoa, we have to listen to this guy. We respect him.'' Just take my word for it. He's legit.

It's 100% true. It's amazing how guys rise and fall without playing a game. If you are sold on a player, the combine shouldn't change your opinion that much one way or the other. Last time I checked, football wasn't played in shorts.

If it was Aaron Maybin would be a sure bet for the hall of fame.

Just add a southern drawl to the unnamed "club architect" and tell me it doesn't sound like something Buddy Nix would say...

Why the secrecy? Why doesn't King just tell the reader who he spoke with.

Crap like that drives me crazy.

Doubt it was Nix b/c of the last quote. And that isn't a dig at him. But, I don't think many football fans would think of Buddy as "legit. Probably an alum of the Pats FO, like the Chiefs GM. Interesting nonetheless.

I have a feeling Bulaga is going to be our first pick. He'll probably fall to us and everyone seems to think he is a sure thing as far as prospects go. He also has more than held his own against the top pass rushers coming out of college this year. That or a nose tackle. Unless Bradford falls to us, which is doubtful. I'm ranting now.

Exactly. You go on a guys body of work, not the combine. In fact working out at the combine would mean nothing to me as a GM. Why? Because all these guys do from Jan 1 - The Combine is practice the combine events. They become good at testing which has NOTHING to do with football.

The last line actually leads me to believe that it IS Nix, since it's saying "I know it wasn't a popular hire, but the guy knows what he's doing." Let's hope that's true.

Makes no sense. If it was Nix, how would King assume his readers would "all say....whoa...we respect him" when i would guess at least 90% of his readers have never heard of Buddy Nix?

Doubt it was Nix b/c of the last quote. And that isn't a dig at him. But, I don't think many football fans would think of Buddy as "legit. Probably an alum of the Pats FO, like the Chiefs GM. Interesting nonetheless.

But that is just it. Who gives a crap what fans might think, Buddy Nix is highly respected in NFL circles as a talent evaluator. For our sake I hope that it was Nix that was quoted becasue it makes perfect sense.

What he should have said was...

If I told you who this speaker was, you'd all say, except the posters on TSW, "Whoa, we have to listen to this guy. We respect him.'' Just take my word for it. He's legit.

I know I run the risk of sounding like a fool...but for those of us who are new... what does TSW stand for??

thanks!