Peter King MMQB today

ACor58

Actually John, although Maybin showed up weighing 25 or so lbs. more than expected, his 40 times were very disapointing. Yes, he improved it for his pro day, but it still wasn't anything great as far a DE standards go. Maybe, maybe not the combine was the deciding factor in the Maybin selection. We can only hope it wasn't and if it was that s**t doesn't happen again.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, is this really news? How many, other than a handful of the same teams, take a guy based more on his Combine/workouts than game film? I'd figure Parcells would be a game film kind of guy, so it's surprising to hear that the quote was (allegedly) from him.

Actually John, although Maybin showed up weighing 25 or so lbs. more than expected, his 40 times were very disapointing. Yes, he improved it for his pro day, but it still wasn't anything great as far a DE standards go. Maybe, maybe not the combine was the deciding factor in the Maybin selection. We can only hope it wasn't and if it was that s**t doesn't happen again.

Maybin should never have been a first round pick, ONLY Buffalo's old staff goes and pulls that stupid ****. Well we are stuck with his overpaid, holdout ass now. We better hope this new DC can make him a decent pass rushing OLB.

Maybin should never have been a first round pick, ONLY Buffalo's old staff goes and pulls that stupid ****. Well we are stuck with his overpaid, holdout ass now. We better hope this new DC can make him a decent pass rushing OLB.

Wrong! Maybin was a 1st rounder, and in some cases a high first rounder, on many teams' boards. And it's still too early to call him a bust, although last year didn't help in that regard.

Why the secrecy? Why doesn't King just tell the reader who he spoke with.

Crap like that drives me crazy.

Honestly this is one of the better sourcing jobs we see in modern sports journalism. He's identified him about as accurately as possible without naming him.

But that is just it. Who gives a crap what fans might think, Buddy Nix is highly respected in NFL circles as a talent evaluator. For our sake I hope that it was Nix that was quoted becasue it makes perfect sense.

Nobody important I think. Take this quote in Rochester D & C:

Buffalo might risk trading drown to pick Dan Williams, Jared Odrick or Brian Price later in the first round, but many fans probably wouldn't approve.

Who cares? Fans are fickle and rarely know much of anything no matter how much Fantasy Football they play and how many mock drafts they create.

Wrong! Maybin was a 1st rounder, and in some cases a high first rounder, on many teams' boards. And it's still too early to call him a bust, although last year didn't help in that regard.

Whether he was considered by other teams as a high first round caliber player is not very meaningful for the Bills. Not taking Orakpo, Cushing, Mathews or even Ohrer instead of Maybin was a terrible miscalculation by this inept organization. His performance compared to the other mentioned players clearly demonstrates that point.

Yeah idiot teams like the guy in the article mentioned. No way in hell is a 225lb DE worth a first round pick esp with only having one year of starting experience.

Whether he was considered by other teams as a high first round caliber player is not very meaningful for the Bills. Not taking Orakpo, Cushing, Mathews or even Ohrer instead of Maybin was a terrible miscalculation by this inept organization. His performance compared to the other mentioned players clearly demonstrates that point.

The point was refuting the claim that Maybin didn't have a 1st round grade by anyone but the Bills. And with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, taking Maybin over the other guys was a mistake based on last year's results. But the Bills did well in the rest of the draft and Maybin's career isn't over quite yet.

Just when I thoguht your posts couldn't get any dumber. :P Every single mock (for whatever they are worth) had Maybin going in the top half of the 1st. You're jsut making yourself look foolish with posts like these.

The point was refuting the claim that Maybin didn't have a 1st round grade by anyone but the Bills. And with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, taking Maybin over the other guys was a mistake based on last year's results. But the Bills did well in the rest of the draft and Maybin's career isn't over quite yet.

Tom Modrak and Buddy Nix made the point that Maybin was not their choice as a first round pick. Modrak stated that he rated Brian Cushing higher and Nix stated that he never would have drafted a one year wonder. Modrak seemed to point the finger at Jauron but who knows if he is trying to disassociate himself from the Maybing pick?

Whether Maybin was given a first round grade by other teams is not the issue. The issue is that his particular skills and physical makeup (light) didn't suit our established defensive scheme. There is a possibility that he will be more suited in a 3-4 scheme. Again, my position is that Maybin was a bad pick for us when Orakpo, Cushing, Mathews and Ohrer were still on the board when we made the pick. Your pointing out that the Bills made solid picks in the other rounds doesn't change the fact that Maybin was not a very smart first round pick for us.

Obviously it's not Nix. Just reread the last line. :P

Well, the only thing in the last sentence that stands out is the 'Woah'.

Nix does not elicit 'Woah's'.

Someone like Parcells, Belicheck, Polian, or Pioli might generate 'Woah's'.

Tom Modrak and Buddy Nix made the point that Maybin was their choice as a first round pick. Modrak stated that he rated Brian Cushing higher and Nix stated that he never would have drafted a one year wonder. Modrak seemed to point the finger at Jauron but who knows if he is trying to disassociate himself from the Maybing pick?

Nix said he wouldn't have picked a one-year wonder. That sounds like he's calling-out Maybin. And Modrak stated that he wanted Cushing. So from WHERE do you get that "Tom Modrak and Buddy Nix made the point that Maybin was their choice as a first round pick?" Nix was just the Bills' national scout last year and had NO pull within the organization. Modrak obviously did, but really wanted Cushing, and the Bills went with Maybin. So who do you think really made the call?

Whether Maybin was given a first round grade by other teams is not the issue. The issue is that his particular skills and physical makeup (light) didn't suit our established defensive scheme. There is a possibility that he will be more suited in a 3-4 scheme. Again, my position is that Maybin was a bad pick for us when Orakpo, Cushing, Mathews and Ohrer were still on the board when we made the pick. Your pointing out that the Bills made solid picks in the other rounds doesn't change the fact that Maybin was not a very smart first round pick for us.

Why? Would any of those players have meant the difference between the Bills making the playoffs or not this past season? They didn't help the Redskins or Seahawks, while it's arguable that Matthews and Oher weren't critical to the Packers and Ravens, respectively, making the playoffs. Will those players continue to improve or at least stay the same, while Maybin continues to falter? I don't know, I'd like to see more than just 1 year of playing time for those guys before I pass final judgement.

Nix said he wouldn't have picked a one-year wonder. That sounds like he's calling-out Maybin. And Modrak stated that he wanted Cushing. So from WHERE do you get that "Tom Modrak and Buddy Nix made the point that Maybin was their choice as a first round pick?" Nix was just the Bills' national scout last year and had NO pull within the organization. Modrak obviously did, but really wanted Cushing, and the Bills went with Maybin. So who do you think really made the call?

I accidently left out the word "not" with respect to Nix not wanting a one year wonder. I went back and re-inserted the word. The shadow front office told some members of the Buffalo press that Jauron was the person pushing for Maybin. Is it true or just covering one's rear? I don't know.

Why? Would any of those players have meant the difference between the Bills making the playoffs or not? They didn't help the Redskins or Seahawks, while arguable that Matthews and Oher weren't critical to the Packers and Ravens, respectively, making the playoffs. Will those players continue to improve or at least stay the same, while Maybin continues to falter? I don't know, I'd like to see more than just 1 year of playing time for those guys before I pass final judgement.

Each of the named rookie players: Orakpo, Cushing, Mathews and Ohrer had an excellent rookie season. A team either making or not making the playoffs doesn't mean that a particular player didn't play well. On that point/question you are being silly. Last year the Bills were an expansion caliber team. For certain none of those players nor an additional dozen rookies would have elevated the team to a playoff level.

With respect to your question as to whether these other players continue to improve? I would say yes. Based on their excellent rookie seasons I would definitely say yes. As to your other question as to whether Maybin will continue to falter my answer is I don't know? He didn't show me much last year to make me confident about his prospects.

I accidently left out the word "not" with respect to Nix not wanting a one year wonder. I went back and re-inserted the word. The shadow front office told some members of the Buffalo press that Jauron was the person pushing for Maybin. Is it true or just covering one's rear? I don't know.

I didn't see your edit when I responded, but do now, so no harm, no foul. And at least we know that the call wasn't Nix's, and he's the new man-in-charge. But I recall reading that with his new contract, Jauron got more/final say on personnel matters. So I'm going with him until shown otherwise.

Each of the named rookie players: Orakpo, Cushing, Mathews and Ohrer had an excellent rookie season. A team either making or not making the playoffs doesn't mean that a particular player didn't play well. On that point/question you are being silly. Last year the Bills were an expansion caliber team. For certain none of those players nor an additional dozen rookies would have elevated the team to a playoff level.

With respect to your question as to whether these other players continue to improve? I would say yes. Based on their excellent rookie seasons I would definitely say yes. As to your other question as to whether Maybin will continue to falter my answer is I don't know? He didn't show me much last year to make me confident about his prospects.

Fair enough. Then let's wait before we start proclaiming it a mistake. I'd call the handling of Walker and Schonert far worse mistakes. Again in hindsight.

I didn't see your edit when I responded, but do now, so no harm, no foul. And at least we know that the call wasn't Nix's, and he's the new man-in-charge. But I recall reading that with his new contract, Jauron got more/final say on personnel matters. So I'm going with him until shown otherwise.

Fair enough. Then let's wait before we start proclaiming it a mistake. I'd call the handling of Walker and Schonert far worse mistakes. Again in hindsight.

We both agree on the fact that the handling of Langston Walker was a big mistake. He was an adequate RT who never, ever should have been considered as a replacement for the LT vacancy. Walker's release was not necessarily a coaching decision. It was probably a decision made by the bean counters: Littman and/or Oberdorf. A reporter for the Buff News on a WGR radio show stated a week or two prior to his release that he would get cut because the finance people for the Bills do not pay backups starter money. Sure enough, prior to Walker being able to claim a roster bonus stipulated in his contract he was cut. Even if Walker was not going to start anywhere on the line he would have been a useful utility lineman who could have filled in at the RT, both guard positions and even the LT spot in an emergency. So when he departed the Bills were left with virtually no credible backups on the line.

As far as the Schonert departure just prior to the start of the season what made the situation worse is that Jauron, for whatever reason, insisted on retaining the no huddle. So not only was more pressure placed on the depleted OL and the offense but more pressure was placed on the defense because of the short time the offense was on the field.

Because of the turmoil with the coaching staff and the line adjustments prior to the season , the season was lost before it officially began. There should be no surprise that bad decisions result in bad outcomes.

I agree,... I was hoping it was Nix reading the rest of it, until I got to the last line.

why? Nix is widely considered one of the best personnel men in the NFL...the concerns most have are over his ability to handle the myriad other duties of a GM, not on his ability to scout and draft...

nice! that blocker save by Quick was all kinds of disgustingly sick!

I couldn't agree with you more

Coach outlet has a printable coupon for 20 percent off your entire purchase at the Coach outlet stores . The coupon is good now through March 7, 2010 and in Coach outlet store online s in US, Canada and Puerto Rico only. It cannot be combined with any other offer and is subject to quantity limitations per customer for the coach handbags .

---------------

coach purses