Top 5 Rock Guitar Solos Of All Time

truth on hold

I got:

1. Larry Carlton "Kid Charlamegne": highly sopisticted rock/funk/blues

2. Jimmy Page "Whole Lotta Luv": the solo every beginner wants to learn first

3. Brian May "Killer Queen": showed rock solos can be theatrical and "sexy"

4. Eddie Van Halen "Eruption": introduced a new style to the world

5. Jimi Hendrix "VooDoo Chile": often copied, never duplicated

Certainly there are many others and 5 is a small list ... some I considered that didn't make it were Mark Knopler "Sultans of Swing", Chuck Berry "Johnny B. Goode", Alex Lifeson "La Villa Strangiato" and Gilmour "Comfortably Numb."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy Rhoads in "Over the Mountain" by Ozzy Osbourne.

While Rhoads had a number of spectacular solos before his untimely death, it was Over the Mountain that seemed to fully infuse the new wave of early-80s metal with classical-influenced modes and picking techniques. Rhoads claimed something to effect of having ripped off Vivaldi riffs in many of his solos, and Over the Mountain displays this perfectly. Give it a listen and picture a violin virtuoso shredding on a Stradivarius instead of a shaggy-haired guitarist with a Jackson V guitar. Amazing.

:D

I got:

Certainly there are many others and 5 is a small list ... some I considered that didn't make it were Mark Knopler "Sultans of Swing", Chuck Berry "Johnny B. Goode", Alex Lifeson "La Villa Strangiato" and Gilmour "Comfortably Numb."

Great song, always felt that Knopfler was a little underrated.

I got:

I don't know Larry Carlton, and I disagree with your choices for Page and May. I would have chose Stairway to Heaven (although cliche, it's cliche because it's just that damn good), and I'd go with The Dean suggesting the solo from "Reelin' in the Years"...if only because I can't even decide which of May's solos is his best.

For me, hands down, it's Jerry Garcia's second solo in "Not Fade Away/Going down the Road Feeling Bad" from the skull and roses album. (begins at 6:10 into the song)

It's the most deceptive and ruthless solo I've ever heard.

What begins as quite unassuming and standard, get's turned into a tour de force of skill, imagination and creativity.

When the verse of the solo comes to a close, you think it's going to end with Jerry finally letting you off the hook. Instead, he cranks it up a notch again and again until you realize you're 100% under his spell.

Part of the genius behind it is that it still holds true to the melody of the song. A masterpiece.

EDIT: Let me just say that this isn't a really flambouyant solo like a lot of the others listed. It's one in which really keeps the songs going like old time rock-n-roll. For those of you who've seen the GD, you know what I'm talking about.

For me, hands down, it's Jerry Garcia's second solo in "Not Fade Away/Going down the Road Feeling Bad" from the skull and roses album. (begins at 6:10 into the song)

It's the most deceptive and ruthless solo I've ever heard.

What begins as quite unassuming and standard, get's turned into a tour de force of skill, imagination and creativity.

When the verse of the solo comes to a close, you think it's going to end with Jerry finally letting you off the hook. Instead, he cranks it up a notch again and again until you realize you're 100% under his spell.

Part of the genius behind it is that it still holds true to the melody of the song. A masterpiece.

thats quite an endorsement. might have to check it out on itunes

I don't know Larry Carlton, and I disagree with your choices for Page and May. I would have chose Stairway to Heaven (although cliche, it's cliche because it's just that damn good), and I'd go with The Dean suggesting the solo from "Reelin' in the Years"...if only because I can't even decide which of May's solos is his best.

I always liked May's work in 'Innuendo'.

I don't know Larry Carlton

You really should know him. What makes Carlton such a brilliant musician is his ability to play at a very high level in a number of different styles. He is an exceptional blues guitarist, has extraordinary rock chops, is at his best (IMO) as an electric jazz fusion player and is among the best acoustic smooth jazz players around. The guy is simply one of the finest guitarists you will ever hear.

The Kid Charlemagne solo can be heard here (the solo starts just around 2 minutes in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23Z-_ki_Dc

Another example of his rock chops are evident in this Steely Dan epic (the entire song displays his talents):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AslDzpaCURs

BTW, both of these tunes are quintessential Steely Dan compositions.

Here's a fine example of his electric Jazz Fusion work (it really starts to kick in at about 1:30 into the song) :

http://popup.lala.com/popup/360569462352740111

He can play the blues, that's for sure:

And while I'm not a big fan of the smooth jazz stuff, he is very proficient at this style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJzFDyrNzec

OK, I can't leave it on that note. Here's one more of his work on another well known Steely Dan song :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhCo8KP-_xE

some other good ones:

Cuz We' ve Ended as Lovers, Jeff Beck

Great call!

Jeff Beck dedicated this song to Roy Buchanan on Blow By Blow. Buchanan is one of the greatest to ever strap on a guitar and one of the most underrated, to boot.

Check this out. It gets pretty crazy starting at about 3:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOIL5OqvYs

Or there is this:

But how did this thread get this far without a mention of Carlos Santana?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJX3uTA-X2A...feature=related