Regime Change - Best Side Effect

Coach55

One of the best side effects of a regime change is that the new coaches and GMs have allegiance to no-one. This is a huge factor, as now draft and contract levels mean nothing and the players will now truly be judged on talent. This could be huge for players like Steve Johnson and Jonathan Stupar, and disastrous for players like McCargo and Hardy (not to say that Johnson and Stupar are going to start and McCargo and Hardy are going to be cut, just using them as an example). The playing field is now level and every position and roster spot (with the exception of the secondary) is up for grabs. The competition will definitely push this team to the next level...

One of the best side effects of a regime change is that the new coaches and GMs have allegiance to no-one. This is a huge factor, as now draft and contract levels mean nothing and the players will now truly be judged on talent. This could be huge for players like Steve Johnson and Jonathan Stupar, and disastrous for players like McCargo and Hardy (not to say that Johnson and Stupar are going to start and McCargo and Hardy are going to be cut, just using them as an example). The playing field is now level and every position and roster spot (with the exception of the secondary) is up for grabs. The competition will definitely push this team to the next level...

This may be an exciting time for Buffalo Bills football, but with high hopes for team improvement we’ve been burned before. That being said I have to omit I’m enjoying this time of retooling or rebuilding that we’re in.

Well how do you expect to succeed when 50% of your roster is here for special teams? I don't give a rats ass if we are in the top 5 in ST any longer. I will take being the middle of the pack and not giving up huge plays and us greatly increase our ranking on offense and defense.

Time for Nix to clean house baby! :rolleyes:

It could be disatrous for everyone. The way I see it... this team has a olt of bad players... that's why they are a bad team. Gailey ain't gonna simply apply a little bit of bondo to this sorry ass Pinto and make it look like a Ferrari.

Guys like "Maybe", "Hardly", "Twitner", "Pussluzney", "McCarg-NO" would need to earn their way onto the final 53 if I were king for a day.

It could be disatrous for everyone. The way I see it... this team has a olt of bad players... that's why they are a bad team. Gailey ain't gonna simply apply a little bit of bondo to this sorry ass Pinto and make it look like a Ferrari.

Guys like "Maybe", "Hardly", "Twitner", "Pussluzney", "McCarg-NO" would need to earn their way onto the final 53 if I were king for a day.

I would get rid of all of them, cap hit or not.

WhyNot Hamden hit it right on the head, WE NEED PLAYERS! Not average or good, we need an influx of Pro Bowlers and game changing talent that rivals those in the league already. Look at the 90's team and stars were everywhere (nearly), so the premise is correct, get quality, and wins take care of themselves!!

Bills of the 90's point this out...

Kelly, Thomas and Davis (one/two punch that is in vogue today, this doesn't get the credit it deserves frankly!)

Reed, Lofton, Beebe

Metzalaars, McKeller

Wolford, Ballard

Davis, Ritcher

Hull

B. Smith, Hansen

Bennett, Talley

Odomes

L.Smith

cheesy. how long did you sit at the keyboard thinking of these "clever" nicknames??

The special teams focus was a strategy the team used when Dick Levy took over. They wanted to build a team with an advantage there and win games with plays made on special teams. Unfortunately, it's a team sport, and with the noffense going absolutely nowhere, some nice kickoff returns and a bunch of good punts weren't going to make the Bills winners.

Well how do you expect to succeed when 50% of your roster is here for special teams? I don't give a rats ass if we are in the top 5 in ST any longer. I will take being the middle of the pack and not giving up huge plays and us greatly increase our ranking on offense and defense.

In a strange turn of events, I actually agree with you on this point. ST's are overrated and (in my opinion) - quality ST's are not highly correlated to wins in the NFL. If anyone doubts this, the Bills are "exhibit A" in my argument - consistently good ST's, and the W-L record, not so much.

Agreed.

But let's hope that the image Buddy and the Boys are starting to mold becomes a winner, and not a dud as Donahoe, Levy, etc have been responsible for the past 10 years.

I would have to agree with the OP. Believe me, I'm not saying that we have anything near the kind of talent we have on the roster currently, but I believe the new coaching staff will make the right decisions in who is valuable enough to keep and who's out the door.

After seeing 7 players released yesterday (many of whom Jauron would have kept around) I think that we are moving in the right direction as to building a decent roster. A lot of those question marks on the roster will obviously be addressed in the draft and free agency, which is something we just have to wait for.

It is good to know that the current players will be evaluated fairly by people that have no reason to favor someone just because of where they were drafted. But hopefully they will also see some decent potential as well. It takes a long time to build from the draft and a few FA pickups. The bozo Tom Donahoe's attitude was he wanted to clear most everyone out who had been on the roster before he got there. That is why he made no effort to hold onto great players like Pat Williams. I don't see Nix/Gailey being that dumb.

Having good special teams players hasn't taken a single important roster spot from anywhere else.