Update on Bradford from NFLN

DarthICE

OT, WR, TE and RB have depth. Weak OG/OC and QB year.

That's not a reason to forget about LT in the first round, or take a QB in the first round. It may be a reason to take the cream of the crop at LT this year, and pick your QBOTF next year.

:ph34r:

nice signature. I'm hoping for exactly the same thing for our first 2 picks. Of course these are pre combine picks we are making. I might actually be fine with Mt Cody or Cam Thomas in rd 2.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you are saying Oklahoma's OL was much better than the Bills the last 2 years and, well, Bradford didn't stay in one piece for very long. :devil:

I'm not advocating for ICE or anybody else, and I suppose yours may not be the perfect post to respond to in light of the point I'm trying to make, but let's be honest here: Bradford's injury was a separated shoulder. He got hit by a defender and driven to the ground awkwardly, it can happen to anybody. It happened to Jim Kelly, and nobody called him frail (far from it, in fact). Then he (Bradford) rushed himself back in an attempt to save both his junior season and perceived draft status, and it didn't work out. Not a big deal if you ask me.

The question regarding Bradford is, in my opinion, whether or not the talent level and work ethic is there, since nobody can seriously tell about the guy's injury propensity resulting from a separated shoulder and shortened rehab period.

As far as his arm goes, his YPA was 2nd in the nation in 2008, and I've seen nothing from watching him that would indicate that he can't make certain throws. So it'll be tough to convince me he doesn't possess an NFL arm.

QUOTE (DarthICE @ Feb 17 2010, 12:04 PM) *

The NFL line you talk about graduated last year, he had scrubs (including a TE starting at RT for the first game of the season aka the one where he got hurt) this year... but I am through arguing the point with you, you have proven you know nothing about the guy at all so anything you spew is pure speculation at best.

Sounds like you are saying Oklahoma's OL was much better than the Bills the last 2 years and, well, Bradford didn't stay in one piece for very long this past season. :devil:

Kind of seems like he is defeating his own argument doesn't it? Seems like he thinks it's important to have good protection in front of Bradford and that that is the reason he got hurt. Wouldn't it stand to reason that we should not repeat that mistake here in Buffalo? Let's stick with the young rebuilding theme on offensive line and get a 1st rd rookie LT prospect in there to shore things up and gel. The next franchise QB we try to draft should have the benefit of a cohesive O-line that has played together for more than a year that is able to open up holes in the run game and afford his QB some real protection.

As far as his arm goes, his YPA was 2nd in the nation in 2008, and I've seen nothing from watching him that would indicate that he can't make certain throws. So it'll be tough to convince me he doesn't possess an NFL arm.

Plenty of college QBs have NFL arms. Buffalo needs a QB with a "strong" NFL arm. There is a difference here. Is it a coincidence that the QBs that have had success in Buffalo have had strong arms? NO it is not. YPA includes RAC as you well know. I want to know how far this guy throws IN THE AIR. You and ICE keep saying that he makes those throws but nobody can find any tape of them.

Sounds fishy to me.

I did some more looking and found a prodraftparty youtube video of him. I still won't say his arm is strong but it looks good enough. I would put this guy somewhere near the strength of Tom Brady. Not BIG but certainly big enough. If it weren't for his durability and our terrible o-line I would say go for the kid. Right now those two things are just too bad of a mix to put together.

That being said I also looked at some video of Claussen. He has a bigger arm, can play under center in a pro offense and he is light years beyond in mobility even with that turf toe or whatever he had. To me Claussen looks like a better option than Bradford. I'm just going on what I see and screw all of the this guys this, this guys that, attitude, cocky blah blah came from this school whatever. I could care less. Doesn't look like either of these guys would be a bad one to pick up but neither "rookie" would live long behind out line.

I know one thing about Bradford...If he's there at #9, The Bills are going to have a REAL TOUGH decision to make...How can a Team with the QB problems The Bills have had pass on a Signal Caller that could have been the #1 pick in the 09 Draft? Conversely, how can The Bills draft a QB high who is coming off major shoulder surgery with all the injury problems this Team has had at QB over the past few years?

Bradford is a REALLY tough call...But in the end, unless The Bills are REALLY high on another QB later on, I'm not sure how they can pass on Bradford...Again IF he's there at #9...Which is a BIG if...I'd rather see this Team swing and miss at a top quality QB Prospect than any other Position...There are things about Bradford I really like, I just wish his body type did not remind me so much of TE...He looks REAL thin and needs to put on some serious muscle...Plus, as we all know too well, he'd be behind a VERY questionable O-Line in Buffalo...

I don't know...If you gave me the choice betwee Okung and Bradford I may never be able to choose... :devil:

I know one thing about Bradford...If he's there at #9, The Bills are going to have a REAL TOUGH decision to make...How can a Team with the QB problems The Bills have had pass on a Signal Caller that could have been the #1 pick in the 09 Draft? Conversely, how can The Bills draft a QB high who is coming off major shoulder surgery with all the injury problems this Team has had at QB over the past few years?

Bradford is a REALLY tough call...But in the end, unless The Bills are REALLY high on another QB later on, I'm not sure how they can pass on Bradford...Again IF he's there at #9...Which is a BIG if...I'd rather see this Team swing and miss at a top quality QB Prospect than any other Position...There are things about Bradford I really like, I just wish his body type did not remind me so much of TE...He looks REAL thin and needs to put on some serious muscle...Plus, as we all know too well, he'd be behind a VERY questionable O-Line in Buffalo...

I don't know...If you gave me the choice betwee Okung and Bradford I may never be able to choose... :devil:

Hate to say it but if we didn't scuttle the o-line this past year and try to find another water boy at LT I would be all for getting a QB. Unfortunately our line needs a LOT of work and a top LT draft pick. We could go the veteran LT route but it doesn't seem to jive with the youth movement on the o-line or anywhere else on the team for that matter.

I'm not advocating for ICE or anybody else, and I suppose yours may not be the perfect post to respond to in light of the point I'm trying to make, but let's be honest here: Bradford's injury was a separated shoulder. He got hit by a defender and driven to the ground awkwardly, it can happen to anybody. It happened to Jim Kelly, and nobody called him frail (far from it, in fact). Then he (Bradford) rushed himself back in an attempt to save both his junior season and perceived draft status, and it didn't work out. Not a big deal if you ask me.

The question regarding Bradford is, in my opinion, whether or not the talent level and work ethic is there, since nobody can seriously tell about the guy's injury propensity resulting from a separated shoulder and shortened rehab period.

My original post was chuckling at the irony of the "Bradford or bust" campaigning, the "all you need is a QB" campaigning, and then sweeping the carpet right out from under the whole pomp and grandiosity with an excuse of "he had scrubs up front"...

To your point, the injuries are a bit of concern because they were absolutely, positively not huge hits by big lineman but routine tackles by a college linebacker and a corner. It may be a fluke, as you imply, but it's a big investment to make if the kid is brittle and doesn't know how to take a beating and protect himself when tackled. He's going to get hammered in the NFL like he's never experienced before, especially if he goes to a team with a crap line like Buffalo.

My original post was chuckling at the irony of the "Bradford or bust" campaigning, the "all you need is a QB" campaigning, and then sweeping the carpet right out from under the whole pomp and grandiosity with an excuse of "he had scrubs up front"...

To your point, the injuries are a bit of concern because they were absolutely, positively not huge hits by big lineman but routine tackles by a college linebacker and a corner. It may be a fluke, as you imply, but it's a big investment to make if the kid is brittle and doesn't know how to take a beating and protect himself when tackled. He's going to get hammered in the NFL like he's never experienced before, especially if he goes to a team with a crap line like Buffalo.

Fully understood. As I said, probably not the best post to respond to in making the point I was making.

Re: injuries, there's always a concern when a guy has a major one in college...there's just no getting around it. My only point was that--as you stated--the concern with Bradford should be only slightly (a "bit") higher than any other QB coming out, because you're right, it's a huge investment.

Injury #1: Shoulder. A critical part of a QBs body.

Injury #2: Shoulder again; loosening it more. About two minutes after he came back. So he is either frail, dumb, or both.

I've seen enough frail and dumb around our QB that I know when to give up on those traits. Is he less frail than Edwards? I suppose, but a Barbie doll is less frail than a China doll. Big deal.

And Girlish? Well, ugly girlish I'll grant, but girlish nonetheless. Girlish in a German speed skater sort of way.

I think he looks like an American Indian to me. Salamanca would go wild if we drafted this kid. Indians are tuff. Buffalo Bills with a Indian Q.B. it might work. :devil:

And for the record, Adrian Peterson was more oft injured in College than Bradford. How has Peterson stood up to the pounding in the pros?

But hey typical Bills fans, pass on a guy that could be a great one so they can settle on the **** currently on the roster hoping that some fantasy coaching staff can polish a turd.

Why do you consider it passing on a player when that particular desired player is not available when you make the pick?

I don't dislike Bradford but two injuries to his throwing shoulder would scare the **** out of me as a GM.

Trent Edwards gets ripped as being fragile yet his arm is equal to Bradford's, he's got a quicker release and compared to Bradford, Trent looks like Kimbo freaking Slice.

I'm worried that if an NFL linebacker hits Bradford on a blitz that he might break into pieces.

Too much risk IMO.

He does not have a stronger arm and is not tougher than bradford. Seriously do you follow college football at all?

Edwards took a !@#$ing beating in college behind an abysmal OL. Bradford had one of the best lines in football and still got hurt.

If you're going to be an opinionated homer at least be honest. Have some integrity.

That being said I also looked at some video of Claussen. He has a bigger arm, can play under center in a pro offense and he is light years beyond in mobility even with that turf toe or whatever he had. To me Claussen looks like a better option than Bradford. I'm just going on what I see and screw all of the this guys this, this guys that, attitude, cocky blah blah came from this school whatever. I could care less. Doesn't look like either of these guys would be a bad one to pick up but neither "rookie" would live long behind out line.

I agree. But do you still feel the same way about Jimmy C when he measures in at 6'1" instead of 6'3" in his pro day?

They said they have talked with people who have been watching him throw and he is almost 100% and is totally pain free. Also the best Orothopod in the Biz is not only the one who fixed Bradfords shoulder, but Drew Brees' shoulder as well :devil:

He is the concensus #1 QB in this draft and if he passes the physical to everyones liking, he is back where he was last year which put him ahead of Stafford last year.

If he passes the physical, I want to see the Bills move up and take him. Strong arm, great accuracy and the one thing that has set him apart for me is he reads the field and makes good decisions faster than any QB I have seen in years. That decision making is key for me.

Bradford has never been in trouble and would represent this Franchise well on and off the field.

Lastly, unlike Clausen, he has no leadership questions. In fact, McCoy, Gresham and Trent Williams came back because he did this last year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-tota...cb99/Draft-buzz

Interesting draft video of Casserly giving views on the draft.

Hate to say it but if we didn't scuttle the o-line this past year and try to find another water boy at LT I would be all for getting a QB. Unfortunately our line needs a LOT of work and a top LT draft pick. We could go the veteran LT route but it doesn't seem to jive with the youth movement on the o-line or anywhere else on the team for that matter.

But sticking with known poor QBs in Fitzpatrick or Edwards as their starting QB does "jive"? If Bradford is there at 9 you take him, he would have been the number 1 pick last season and by all accounts is healthy now.

Well for those of us that have seen every game he has played, we have seen the throws you mention and he makes them easy.

Bottom line there are those that know nothing about the kid, and those that just hate on him because they don't know any better / try to get a rise out of those of us that know the kid is going to be good.

:rolleyes:

It's just sad that people who have never really watched him play have such strong opinions. In my opinion, if you don't watch much college football at all, you really shouldn't even bother responding to any threads dealing with the draft, and just accept whatever happens on draft day.

Arm strength wasn't a concern when he was slated to go #1 overall last season had he declared...heck, he may still go #1 overall in this draft.

The reason I made the comparison to Cutler is b/c that's what people in Buffalo expect just b/c of the weather up here..and unfortunately many people hold certain QB's to those standards.

Tom Brady doesn't have an overwhelmingly strong arm..but he can make all the throws in the NFL. If you've watched Bradford play week in and week out, you'd realize that the same applies to him.