Walter football read on Clausen

Thoner7

Now I didnt see too mcuh of Clausen this past season, but from what I did see he was much improved from his soph season. Here is one guys take on Clausen jr year.

http://walterfootball.com/mattblog091229.php

Now I like him more than Bradford thats for sure, but I think its all moot because both wont be around when we draft. Anyways, once the workouts and combine are all done, I wouldnt be suprised to see him rise to #1 on the big board.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I didnt see too mcuh of Clausen this past season, but from what I did see he was much improved from his soph season. Here is one guys take on Clausen jr year.

Now I like him more than Bradford thats for sure, but I think its all moot because both wont be around when we draft. Anyways, once the workouts and combine are all done, I wouldnt be suprised to see him rise to #1 on the big board.

That was an excellent read! :w00t: Clausen looked good in the one game of his I saw (the Stanford/Notre Dame game). If the Bills are convinced he can be a franchise QB, and if he's there waiting for us at #9, I wouldn't mind pulling the trigger.

Interesting read, thanks. He makes a good case for Clausen. If the Bills do take him, I'll feel a lot better about it now.

J. Clausen is the real deal. A true franchise quarterback. #1 overall would not surprise me. Too bad for us. He is exactly what we need.

Very good article. I was a fan of Clausen before reading this, but the comparison of those statistics with guys like Manning, Rivers, Stafford, etc is pretty eye-opening. Especially the 7:1 TD:Int ratio like the guy mentioned. Pretty damn impressive. As the writer also mentioned stats only tell so much, but when I watched Clausen this year I also saw him executing a complicated offense very well, playing through injuries, displaying good leadership abilities, and showing more than enough physical tools to get the job done at the next level. Particularly his accuracy. At the moment, I'm more into the idea of making a trade for a quarterback and using our high draft picks for other needs, but if we do not choose to do this and are still stuck with what we got come April 22, Jimmy Clausen would be my first choice as of now. It will be interesting to watch what happens with his pre-draft workouts.

Seen it before, but thanks for the reminder.

What is a shame is that Clausen won't be there at #9, for all of the stated reasons. And he would be a terrific fit for Gailey's offense. Remember that Nix said that for a QB to excel in Buffalo, he has to have a gun to throw through the winds at the Ralph. Clausen has one, he has a very strong arm. Bradford much less so.

If we want him, though, we'll have to trade up to at least the top 5 and possibly even higher.

What is a shame is that Clausen won't be there at #9, for all of the stated reasons. And he would be a terrific fit for Gailey's offense. Remember that Nix said that for a QB to excel in Buffalo, he has to have a gun to throw through the winds at the Ralph. Clausen has one, he has a very strong arm. Bradford much less so.

If we want him, though, we'll have to trade up to at least the top 5 and possibly even higher.

If Clausen is the franchise quarterback the article describes, the Bills should make that trade, period. Opportunities for franchise quarterbacks don't come around very often; so when one does appear, you have to take it. Look at all the resources the Bills have poured into the quarterback position since Kelly hung up his cleats--thus far with nothing to show for it. They've spent the following:

Todd Collins: 2nd round pick

Billy Joe Hobart: 3rd round pick

Rob Johnson: 1st round pick, 4th round pick

Drew Bledsoe: 1st round pick

J.P. Losman: 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, 5th round pick

Trent Edwards: 3rd round pick

For Clausen to cost us as much as those guys did, we'd have to trade away three first round picks, two 2nd round picks, two 3rd rounders, a 4th, and a 5th. Any price lower than that represents a smaller cost than those guys collectively were, while providing (presumably) a significantly greater benefit to this franchise than they did.

I'm not a ND fan but I would say I saw 6-8 of their games this year due to them being on TV every week. The kid was constantly putting up huge points, even when the opponent knew ND would be throwing due to their weak defense. He slings the ball around and throws a beautiful deep ball. He's cocky, but in a good way. I don't get all the hate he's been getting, from McShay inparticular. Golden Tate was quoted earlier in the offseason as saying he didn't have to catch one ball from Clausen all year that was off target. As an unbiased football fan, he certainly passed the eye test. He also played hurt most of the year. One thing the eye test can not judge is leadership and attitude. If the Bills decide he is proficient enough in those areas, I am all for taking him at nine, and I do think that he will be there...

BULL ****! Where do you guys get this BS? Bradford has a very strong arm and is crazy accurate with the football.

The Walter Football site is the anti-McShay site as far as Clausen goes. They have him as #1 and he has him as #28. McShay even compared his leadership skills to JP Losman's. In another post on here on this site he said what a terrible reach it would be if the Bills picked him. Remarkable how different opinions of him are out there.

I want Clausen, the kid is tough and you know he can handle pressure, for God's sake he played at ND. :w00t:

I read the article, if he slips past the Rams the Lions wont draft him because the already have a 1st round QB for last year.

I would trade up, offer this year #1, Marshawn Lynch, Whitner and Roscoe Parrish.

Think about it, that would be a good trade. RB can be drafted, we have an overload at WR and Whitner is a backup at best.

Get R done Russ, err I mean Buddy, err I mean Ralph.