Olympics - Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili dies from crash

Just Jack

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver...?urn=oly,219382

Nodar Kumaritashvili, a Georgian luger, has died from one of the most horrible accidents imaginable just hours before the official start of the Olympics. Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled, went over a wall, and slammed into a metal support beam. Observers said his sled was traveling nearly 90 mph.

videos are being taken down as fast as they get online, found only one on youtube currently

(about the 30 second mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6B2ggmzEDM

Not graphic but it is a close view of the accident

EDIT: Video already taken down. Here's a description if you want to read it.

Basically you see him come off the sled, fly out of the track and hit one of the poles in what looks like a viewing area, while his sled continues down the track

What stupid **** designed that course!?

"Lets have concrete beams 1 foot from the track" Brilliant!!!!!

They need to shut that track down unless they can make the corner safe. The sport is dangerous enough without an idiotic design flaw.

Watching the video he really seemed to be haulin ass. Track looks must faster than normal, and maybe faster then they are used to.

Per ESPN, many Lugers (men & women teams) have complained they're being used as 'test crash dummies' through the trials and practice. Too fast & too dangerous.

Now's a helluva time to make this determination :unsure:

Very sad.

Also said Georgia is considering pulling their entire team and going home.

The video isn't that graphic except for the fact you know as soon as he's hit the pole he's dead.

What stupid **** designed that course!?

"Lets have concrete beams 1 foot from the track" Brilliant!!!!!

They need to shut that track down unless they can make the corner safe. The sport is dangerous enough without an idiotic design flaw.

Watching the video he really seemed to be haulin ass. Track looks must faster than normal, and maybe faster then they are used to.

My thoughts exactly. It seems more forethought could have been put into that. It's cool it's such a fast track. It sucks that it's too dangerous.

Well, look for the luge competition to be the highest rated Olympic event.

Probe: track didn’t cause luger’s death

Olympic officials decided late Friday night against any major changes in the track or any delays in competition and even doubled up on the schedule in the wake of the horrifying accident that claimed the life of a 21-year-old luger from the republic of Georgia. They said they would raise the wall where the slider flew off the track and make an unspecified “change in the ice profile”—but only as a preventative measure “to avoid that such an extremely exceptional accident could occur again.”

Sure, no problem found... :nana:

Probe: track didn't cause luger's death

Olympic officials decided late Friday night against any major changes in the track or any delays in competition and even doubled up on the schedule in the wake of the horrifying accident that claimed the life of a 21-year-old luger from the republic of Georgia. They said they would raise the wall where the slider flew off the track and make an unspecified "change in the ice profile"—but only as a preventative measure "to avoid that such an extremely exceptional accident could occur again."

Sure, no problem found... :nana:

Well you know the language in the release was poured over all night by the lawyers. My guess is you can change the shape of the track a little bit (add or subtrack ice in spots) and change the way they come out of turns pretty significantly.

Obvioulsy there's nothing they can do about the big poles at this point.

Well you know the language in the release was poured over all night by the lawyers. My guess is you can change the shape of the track a little bit (add or subtrack ice in spots) and change the way they come out of turns pretty significantly.

Obvioulsy there's nothing they can do about the big poles at this point.

CBS News last night showed a video of the crash over and over . . slo-motion, etc. Kinda sick. But as my wife and I are watching that, we both said something to the effect of, "What moron put those poles there right after a turn??"

Sure they can, get this and this.

:nana:

I'm not sure that would have helped much since the guy was going 80mph when he hit the pole, but you never know.

CBS News last night showed a video of the crash over and over . . slo-motion, etc. Kinda sick. But as my wife and I are watching that, we both said something to the effect of, "What moron put those poles there right after a turn??"

Yeah, the video was pretty gruesome. I would expect a significant renovation to the course after the Games.