Does the 3-4 change who we draft?

HooperBills

Ok, we got a DC who wants a 3-4, does that mean we take a big nasty NT in 1st or 2nd round, we will need one in a 3-4, or do we try to see what stroud can give us??

I don't see Stroud as a true two gapping NT... He could be serviceable at best.. He's more of a penetrating guy... maybe even better suited for the end spot, which are essentially very athletic tackles.. Williams and SPencer Johnson might even be able to convert in to an end rotation as well... but, I see us needing a new DLine altogether. This will clearly take more than one year to put together.. I don't think it will be as tough as most think though..

I don't see Stroud as a true two gapping NT... He could be serviceable at best.. He's more of a penetrating guy... maybe even better suited for the end spot, which are essentially very athletic tackles.. Williams and SPencer Johnson might even be able to convert in to an end rotation as well... but, I see us needing a new DLine altogether. This will clearly take more than one year to put together.. I don't think it will be as tough as most think though..

I could see Stroud as a nice LE...

How many years did Gailey sign for??

So much for trying to win now before Ralph passes.

Ralph may never see another playoff game for Buffalo.

Free agency will determine what we do in the draft. If we land one of the big 4 NT's on the free agency market then odds are we won't be looking for one in the draft. Its all about if we address any needs in free agency. If we can get some positions filled then duh it changes what we will be looking for in the draft.

I'm excited about the 3-4 but this just opens up some more holes to fill. We need a true NT, OLB, in addition to the biggest hole at LT, WR, and QB.

Yeah in my opinion WR isn't 1 of our stronger needs. We have 2 or 3 guys who we have seen very little of. We could find a WR deep in the draft who could potentially come in and give us some more depth, but we desperatly need d lineman now. I wouldn't be suprised to see a trade involving a DE or 2 on this team for a DL or WR that could be a stop gap until next year. Its all about the LT and the D line in the draft.

just for giggles, Patriot Vince Wilfork will be a free agent this offseason.

Now Belicheck has been quoted as stating how hard it is to find a dominating NT for a 3-4 alignment and I don't see them letting him walk like they did with so many of their free agents of yesteryear.

But, New England also does not have a great history of fighting tooth-and-nail to retain at great cost its own free agents.

It will be interesting to see what happens and if the Bills are even players for his services.

One thing is for certain, I think Stroud is not suited for the 3-4.

And I hope that we draft a starting LT with our #1.

Ok, we got a DC who wants a 3-4, does that mean we take a big nasty NT in 1st or 2nd round, we will need one in a 3-4, or do we try to see what stroud can give us??

I think this definitely means that we will be drafting either Terrence Cody or Cam Thomas in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft, but I think it opens the door up even more fot the guy I've wanted us to draft all along (see my avatar) :lol: . I also think this means we are going to make a serious run at Richard Seymour in FA. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the FO try to make a move for Merriman now as well. I see Stroud being the starter at LE and I think he will play well in this role because of the type of DT he's been throughout his career. Kyle Williams and Spencer Johnson will be servicable guys to rotate at the DE positions. I think this almost certainly marks the end of Kelsay in a Bills' uni. I don't see Schobel being able to make it as a rush LB either. Maybin will now be a 3-4 RLB which likely fits his strongsuit better, speed and quickness. He still needs to bulk up and play at about 255lb. I think Mitchell could play OLB in the 3-4 or ILB also. All the younger guys we have at LB like Harris, Buggs, and Palmer though, I don't think this really bodes well for them getting on the field with the defense.

I think this definitely means that we will be drafting either Terrence Cody or Cam Thomas in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft, but I think it opens the door up even more fot the guy I've wanted us to draft all along (see my avatar) :lol: . I also think this means we are going to make a serious run at Richard Seymour in FA. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the FO try to make a move for Merriman now as well. I see Stroud being the starter at LE and I think he will play well in this role because of the type of DT he's been throughout his career. Kyle Williams and Spencer Johnson will be servicable guys to rotate at the DE positions. I think this almost certainly marks the end of Kelsay in a Bills' uni. I don't see Schobel being able to make it as a rush LB either. Maybin will now be a 3-4 RLB which likely fits his strongsuit better, speed and quickness. He still needs to bulk up and play at about 255lb. I think Mitchell could play OLB in the 3-4 or ILB also. All the younger guys we have at LB like Harris, Buggs, and Palmer though, I don't think this really bodes well for them getting on the field with the defense.

I truly believe that if Schobel returns, he will be extremely productive in the 3-4 as an OLB. he is a much better athlete than given credit for.