James Hardy and Shawn Nelson

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shawn Nelson- I think the kid has alot of talent. He made a few rookie mistakes but that is to be expected. Nelson is big, strong, fluid, fast, and aggressive. Next year Nelson and Schouman could be a solid TE combination.

James Hardy- He is slower than his timed speed and has not looked athletic on the field. While Nelson seemed to improve as his season went on, Hardy regressed during his rookie season. Work ethic problems, behavior problems, and a missed season due to injury, lead me to believe he is not going to have a long NFL career.

The rules today are so biased towards the pass game. A lower round draftee TE or WR better show me something soon - I'll give 'em a year for injury and another camp. But that's it. Potential means zip.

There are always fresh speed, hands, size in the next draft. I'm not going to get into the biz of developing receivers at cost of my roster spots.

Agreed. A team full of projects and potential, is a team that always drafts high. Let someone else nurture and develop the James Hardys of the league. In the end, if we are lucky, he took up a roster spot for three years and develops into a mediocre WR. That's if we're lucky. Otherwise he contributes nothing to special teams and is declared a complete bust.

While bringing in free agents is a great way to build a team, i also believe that the bills have not properly assessed some of the rookie players they have drafted in the last two years. Among the top of my list of players that I as a bills fan desire to see are Hardy and Nelson. The bills arent known for having extremely tall receivers until the TO experiment failed in Buffalo. Hardy was selected with the 41st overall pick out of Indiana in the 08 draft. He is 6'5'' and 220 lbs and is the tallest wide receiver ever drafted by the bills. He has tremendous athleic abilty and probably would have been more succesful than TO this past year if he hadnt been injured. Nelson is another tall receiver at Tight End. He was taken with the 121st pick in the 09 draft out of southern miss. He stands at 6'5'' and 240 lbs. Also has tremendous athletic ability.

I understand that signing free agents who have already proven themselves in the NFL is a much lower risk move and is much more appealing to a lot of owners. However it is not always practical and more importantly affordable. There MUST be a healthy balance between drafted and developed players along with free agent signings. While it would be wonderful to bring in a Chris Chambers or an Anquan Boldin, it also would be great to develop some young guys and raise their stock over the years. I realize that there are lots of drafted players that prove to be busts, especially in bills recent history. I would simply like to see James Hardy and Shawn Nelson a bit this year to make an accurate assesment. These Kids have a ton of potential. <_<

You can throw Steve Johnson in with them too ,in 08 when ever he was on the field he was catching the ball plus i think him being 6' 3" which is bigger than all these 5' 11" guys can't hurt any .

Link?

He lost serious playing time his rookie season and was bypassed by Johnson on the depth chart. His work ethic and behavior issues have been reported all the way back to when he was drafted.

Great, then you should have a link to any number of the articles which have henceforth eluded me.

I think Nelson will be a great TE I remember that play where he made a great run after the catch and dove and in the endzone.

Loving it

And against the Pats* to boot.

Nothing better than seeing that clip over, and over, and over and over again, in SUPER slow-mo as part of an nfl.com ad!! <_<

Yeah, just did. Nothing fitting that description written after May 2008, four months before he took the field for the first time.

Still waiting for you to prove your point.

Right, because NFL teams often bag on their own players. Look, neither you or I know the guy but he has a history of making questionable decisions. If you want to pretend they don't exist, that's cool. I'm not reporting anything new here. Maybe you need to narrow your search. Try James Hardy and gun, battery, infant, and Lynch's car.

What's with May 2008? Is all information prior to that void in your world?

While bringing in free agents is a great way to build a team, i also believe that the bills have not properly assessed some of the rookie players they have drafted in the last two years. Among the top of my list of players that I as a bills fan desire to see are Hardy and Nelson. The bills arent known for having extremely tall receivers until the TO experiment failed in Buffalo. Hardy was selected with the 41st overall pick out of Indiana in the 08 draft. He is 6'5'' and 220 lbs and is the tallest wide receiver ever drafted by the bills. He has tremendous athleic abilty and probably would have been more succesful than TO this past year if he hadnt been injured. Nelson is another tall receiver at Tight End. He was taken with the 121st pick in the 09 draft out of southern miss. He stands at 6'5'' and 240 lbs. Also has tremendous athletic ability.

I understand that signing free agents who have already proven themselves in the NFL is a much lower risk move and is much more appealing to a lot of owners. However it is not always practical and more importantly affordable. There MUST be a healthy balance between drafted and developed players along with free agent signings. While it would be wonderful to bring in a Chris Chambers or an Anquan Boldin, it also would be great to develop some young guys and raise their stock over the years. I realize that there are lots of drafted players that prove to be busts, especially in bills recent history. I would simply like to see James Hardy and Shawn Nelson a bit this year to make an accurate assesment. These Kids have a ton of potential. <_<

Hardy Schmardy. He simply does not work hard and he does not remember the plays or the hot reads. Same issues with him now as BEFORE the draft.

Chambers is done. I would rather give reps to Stevie Johnson.

Nelson looks like a keeper.

Hardy Schmardy. He simply does not work hard and he does not remember the plays or the hot reads. Same issues with him now as BEFORE the draft.

Chambers is done. I would rather give reps to Stevie Johnson.

Nelson looks like a keeper.

Thats completely opposite of what TO said about him, according to TO he really works hard, and has gotten alot better with his route running.

Shawn Nelson- I think the kid has alot of talent. He made a few rookie mistakes but that is to be expected. Nelson is big, strong, fluid, fast, and aggressive. Next year Nelson and Schouman could be a solid TE combination.

James Hardy- He is slower than his timed speed and has not looked athletic on the field. While Nelson seemed to improve as his season went on, Hardy regressed during his rookie season. Work ethic problems, behavior problems, and a missed season due to injury, lead me to believe he is not going to have a long NFL career.

Nelson is a possibility. Nothing is certain but maybe we have something.

Hardly? Are they kidding me with that? Even Maybinot has more potential.

I'll concede that the Bill's coaching staff is far more adept than me at judging talent and who should play/when. IMO, Hardy was underutilized by the Bills. He should have been developed as a red zone target, getting more accustomed to the NFL game along the way. They gave up on him way too soon, and then he got injured. Hardy was punished vis-a-vis Roscoe Parrish.

Nelson is intriguing. He was pressed into blocking more than he might have if there weren't so many OL injuries. I'm guessing he didn't suck at it. He had some good plays and some bad ones, but tons of potential. Give him a better QB and OL, then judge for yourself.

Thats completely opposite of what TO said about him, according to TO he really works hard, and has gotten alot better with his route running.

Well that must be the reason he doesn't compete for balls in the air. He's been following TO's lead. The thing that I think is the number 2 most important aspect that a receiver can have, right after running good routes, is going and getting the ball. If that fade wasn't thrown perfectly he wouldn't even have a TD. All I remember from the few times he made the field, was that he didn't use his height effectively, and he didn't go and get the ball. I would rather see Stevie J in that position everytime. He fights for the ball, runs good routes, and finds the softspots in the zone.

Shawn Nelson started a couple games for us this year. He got plenty of playing time and contributed on the field as a rookie. He had a few injuries and suffered from debilitating migraine headaches during the season. By no means did they overlook him, he was 1 of only 2 healthy TE's on the roster at 1 point.

IMO: until we get a QB, i don't think any receiver will be successful nor can we judge their TRUE potential! With a QB, i think Nelson could be special, not sure about Hardy(off field worries me).

Nelson is gonna b a stud TE for us...Hardy...don't know. Let's see how Gailey does with him. He certainly knows enough about offense to put him in a position to succeed and take away all his excuses if he doesn't...