Am I the only one that heard Ross Tucker giving the Bills some love?

Steve O

Apologies if this topic has already been posted, tried the search key as well as looking through the topics on the first two pages and couldn't find anything, though I am a bit of a technological invalid. I'm sure someone will post the link if this has already been discussed.

Anyways on Rome Ross said his best time in the NFL was in Buffalo (played for 5 teams.) College atmosphere, players were all tight because there wasn't much to do in Buffalo. In the bigger cities the players all went their own way. Was particularily fond of Bledsoe, said he was a great guy, often having teamates over for beers or picking up the tab for team mates and their families when they went out. Said when other QB's were sacked he felt bad that he had not done his job, when Drew got sacked he felt bad for Drew (he must have felt bad a lot). Also said offensive line wasn't that important, his Princeton teams went 3-7 twice and 5-5 twice and 3 of the offensive linemen ended up in the NFL.

Again, sorry if this was already disucssed, just got home and was expecting to see something on this...

IMO, Ross Tucker has about the most insightful "explayer" commentary in the business. A smart guy who was in the league long enough to have gained some pespective. Being a fringe player he does not have a legacy or connections to protect. Too bad he doesn't have a bigger forum.

I must say that I don't quite understend the O-line comment. I have come to believe that the two most important units on a college team are o-line and d-backfield. If you aren't sound in those areas you will have a pathetic team. One with a dysfunctional offense and a defense that constantly gives up big plays. The perfect storm of bad football that gets you beat no mattter how good the rest of the team may be. This comes from wathcing 11 seasons of UB D-I football.

IMO, Ross Tucker has about the most insightful "explayer" commentary in the business. A smart guy who was in the league long enough to have gained some pespective. Being a fringe player he does not have a legacy or connections to protect. Too bad he doesn't have a bigger forum.

I must say that I don't quite understend the O-line comment. I have come to believe that the two most important units on a college team are o-line and d-backfield. If you aren't sound in those areas you will have a pathetic team. One with a dysfunctional offense and a defense that constantly gives up big plays. The perfect storm of bad football that gets you beat no mattter how good the rest of the team may be. This comes from wathcing 11 seasons of UB D-I football.

Since Steve O quoted Tucker talking about Bledsoe, my guess is the O-line context was that you can have a good O-line, but it doesn't do much good without a good QB behind that line.

Perhaps what he meant was how an o line produces isn't so much the players as the system or coaching. If they were that bad and went on to play in the NFL it would inidcste some teaching or system wasn't meshigng.

Apologies if this topic has already been posted, tried the search key as well as looking through the topics on the first two pages and couldn't find anything, though I am a bit of a technological invalid. I'm sure someone will post the link if this has already been discussed.

Anyways on Rome Ross said his best time in the NFL was in Buffalo (played for 5 teams.) College atmosphere, players were all tight because there wasn't much to do in Buffalo. In the bigger cities the players all went their own way. Was particularily fond of Bledsoe, said he was a great guy, often having teamates over for beers or picking up the tab for team mates and their families when they went out. Said when other QB's were sacked he felt bad that he had not done his job, when Drew got sacked he felt bad for Drew (he must have felt bad a lot). Also said offensive line wasn't that important, his Princeton teams went 3-7 twice and 5-5 twice and 3 of the offensive linemen ended up in the NFL.

Again, sorry if this was already disucssed, just got home and was expecting to see something on this...

If I want to watch college football, I'll watch college football. What this says is we attract the second/third tier free agents who value the college atmosphere and the hanging-out-with-the-guys type players. That s all great for a semi pro team, not the NFL. Unfortunately in today's rock star NFL where the best talent ends up in the hottest places, a team full of Ross Tuckers goes 6-10 every year. But hey, how bout that "college atmosphere"....we should be in the UFL. Much better fit for our semi pro team.

If I want to watch college football, I'll watch college football. What this says is we attract the second/third tier free agents who value the college atmosphere and the hanging-out-with-the-guys type players. That s all great for a semi pro team, not the NFL. Unfortunately in today's rock star NFL where the best talent ends up in the hottest places, a team full of Ross Tuckers goes 6-10 every year. But hey, how bout that "college atmosphere"....we should be in the UFL. Much better fit for our semi pro team.

Holy WTF, a guy who played for Buffalo, says he approves of Buffalo, he had his best time here, and talks good about the city. Yet we still rip it apart to find the most negative things about it that we can. Unbillevible!!!!

Holy WTF, a guy who played for Buffalo, says he approves of Buffalo, he had his best time here, and talks good about the city. Yet we still rip it apart to find the most negative things about it that we can. Unbillevible!!!!

It gets really old doesn't it?

It gets really old doesn't it?

I really wish this board's ignore system just removed the post's all together. It's soooooo much nicer than having to see their post with "You have ignored this post" message. It would really help with some of the garbage spewed on this board.

:wallbash:

A college atmosphere = a great, loud crowd

I'm assuming you didn't understand what that meant

Hey chuckles, the city is what it is. It's not like they can make Buffalo a warm weather locale. And as a result, the team is hamstrung by it, and nothing (not a new owner or even making the playoffs) will make a bit of difference. But the fans are rabid about the team and that's at least something.

From here in LA, it seems to me that people from WNY have a built-in inferiority complex about the area so I thought I'd throw in a couple of stories you might like.

First off, I'm friends with one of the top writers of mysteries/legal procedural novels. But when we became friends nearly 40 years ago, neither of us had two nickels to rub together. My friend is from the Bay Area, a graduate of Cal Berkeley, an epicure and gourmet and the kind of guy who keeps a place on a Greek island. So you can imagine my surprise when he once told me how much he loved Buffalo. Turns out he had a couple of friends who got jobs in Buffalo and he'd go visit them. And when one of his Bay Area friends was promoted to the NYC office he quit because he didn't want to leave WNY.

Second story: The produce manager of my local supermarket was a guy from Hawaii, with the full-on "da kine" accent. We had a "How ya been" sort of relationship, nothing more until one day I came in with a Bills cap on. "You're a Bills fan?" he asked me. "Me too. I try to get there at least once a year to see a game or two." This seemed so out of the ordinary that I had to learn more about how he became a Bills fan. Turns out his brother worked in Buffalo and owned a small "gentleman's farm" in, if I remember correctly, Elma, and had married a local girl. So it wasn't so weird that this guy would visit Buffalo. But what really knocked me back, considering he was from Hawaii, a place most people I know consider pretty much a vacation paradise, was when he told me he loved to take his vacation in Buffalo, that he had more fun there than any other place he'd been. In fact, he liked to go in the winter when he could play hockey on his brother's pond!

To quote the old William De Vaughan song, Be thankful for what you got.

From here in LA, it seems to me that people from WNY have a built-in inferiority complex about the area so I thought I'd throw in a couple of stories you might like.

First off, I'm friends with one of the top writers of mysteries/legal procedural novels. But when we became friends nearly 40 years ago, neither of us had two nickels to rub together. My friend is from the Bay Area, a graduate of Cal Berkeley, an epicure and gourmet and the kind of guy who keeps a place on a Greek island. So you can imagine my surprise when he once told me how much he loved Buffalo. Turns out he had a couple of friends who got jobs in Buffalo and he'd go visit them. And when one of his Bay Area friends was promoted to the NYC office he quit because he didn't want to leave WNY.

Second story: The produce manager of my local supermarket was a guy from Hawaii, with the full-on "da kine" accent. We had a "How ya been" sort of relationship, nothing more until one day I came in with a Bills cap on. "You're a Bills fan?" he asked me. "Me too. I try to get there at least once a year to see a game or two." This seemed so out of the ordinary that I had to learn more about how he became a Bills fan. Turns out his brother worked in Buffalo and owned a small "gentleman's farm" in, if I remember correctly, Elma, and had married a local girl. So it wasn't so weird that this guy would visit Buffalo. But what really knocked me back, considering he was from Hawaii, a place most people I know consider pretty much a vacation paradise, was when he told me he loved to take his vacation in Buffalo, that he had more fun there than any other place he'd been. In fact, he liked to go in the winter when he could play hockey on his brother's pond!

To quote the old William De Vaughan song, Be thankful for what you got.

Thanks for sharing! <_<