Snowmaggeddon

/dev/null

So snow this afternoon(about 4 inches), now its that friggen wintry mix. But I have friends coming for the night and I just got in from squeejing(sp) the driveway. That's right, I used a squeeje to get my driveway clean...Lordy just pure snow is so much better :wallbash:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it won't 'roll over'. Instead some POS politician will identify it as unspent money and use it from some b.s. project. Than that b.s. project will need to be funded every year, so bingo, you just increased your budget. Do that a few thousand more times; add tens of thousands of needless gov't employees loaded with perks to manage all your b.s. projects and suddenly you're right back in NYS.

Like this:

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/nort...ory/935408.html

It is so funny seeing these totals... The greatest single snow total for a storm in Chicago is just over 20 inches... That is all time! They were saying that DC had storms before (I think in 1928 or so) in the high 20" range... Same with Philly and NY.

Go figure... It pays to live up north... Less crazy big storms! :unsure:

It is so funny seeing these totals... The greatest single snow total for a storm in Chicago is just over 20 inches... That is all time! They were saying that DC had storms before (I think in 1928 or so) in the high 20" range... Same with Philly and NY.

Go figure... It pays to live up north... Less crazy big storms! :thumbdown:

Chicago, despite being by the lake, doesn't get a flow of moisture over it like the mid-Atlantic does with nor-easters, or the eastern Great Lakes with lake effect snow.

And now they're calling for another 10-20" tomorrow night. I have a measured 30" on the ground in my yard right now. :unsure: Still not the Blizzard of 77...but this is getting a little nuts nonetheless.

Chicago, despite being by the lake, doesn't get a flow of moisture over it like the mid-Atlantic does with nor-easters, or the eastern Great Lakes with lake effect snow.

And now they're calling for another 10-20" tomorrow night. I have a measured 30" on the ground in my yard right now. :unsure: Still not the Blizzard of 77...but this is getting a little nuts nonetheless.

You are right, Chicago is windward of the lake too... Causing more cold and lower snow totals.

Wasn't the snow totals in '77 relatively low... It was the wind that causes the blizzard conditions. And it is coming agian, this time we are expected to get 6-12" and wind before it heads east.

Here we tend to get dumped on by the "panhandle hook"... That is a low that starts off in the panhandle region of TX/OK and hooks up.

Panhandle Hook

Notice the map, there are actually four lows strectched across the continent...

You are right, Chicago is windward of the lake too... Causing more cold and lower snow totals.

Wasn't the snow totals in '77 relatively low... It was the wind that causes the blizzard conditions. And it is coming agian, this time we are expected to get 6-12" and wind before it heads east.

Here we tend to get dumped on by the "panhandle hook"... That is a low that starts off in the panhandle region of TX/OK and hooks up.

Panhandle Hook

Notice the map, there are actually four lows strectched across the continent...

Only a few inches fell in '77; everything blew in off the lake. Still...for me (and I doubt I'm alone in this) it's the de facto standard by which winter storms are measured.

This is more comparable to...maybe the blizzard of '85 (more snow, less wind than '77). If we get what they're predicting Tuesday night, it's a hell of a lot of snow to have on the ground by almost any measure outside of the high Rockies.

Only a few inches fell in '77; everything blew in off the lake. Still...for me (and I doubt I'm alone in this) it's the de facto standard by which winter storms are measured.

This is more comparable to...maybe the blizzard of '85 (more snow, less wind than '77). If we get what they're predicting Tuesday night, it's a hell of a lot of snow to have on the ground by almost any measure outside of the high Rockies.

Yep... Sure will be more roof failures! :unsure:

Tell me about it. I'm travelling to SoCal later this week to see my brother, PRAYING I get out of the airport.

I don't know... We are supposed to get well over a foot here and it is snowing like crazy... I had about 5 inches on the ground this morning... Got up shoveled (I won't pull out the snowblower until I get about a foot to move) for about 45 minutes and went on my way to work... Streets were in good condition, traffic on the expressway was a little slow... But I got into work well on time, and that was even leaving 10 minutes later than I normally do.

I don't know what the problem is... Seems children all went off school... Sure we only have about a 8 inches now... But if snow removal is done... What would it honestly take to have to shut things down? 3 feet??

Sure this is the north... Yet, with a little hard work and being prepared... Nothing should get really that bad until the snow starts crossing into the 2' range. Even then, with the advent of front-wheel cars... The situation is even better.

How does a city like BFLO do it when they get way less in money per mile for snow removal than all other major cities that get snow? (DET, PITT, CHI, MIL, etc... etc...)?

IMO, there is no excuse for nobody being prepared especially in this day and age.

Now just wait till tonight when the wind hits! :w00t:

Is El Nino to blame for all of this snow? We are having warmer than usual weather and less rain. :w00t:

I believe so. I think what's basically happening is that the high pressure that sits over the plains in a normal winter pattern is weaker than normal, which causes the most southwesterly Gulf flow to track farther west than normal, meaning that the mid-Atlantic gets the nor'easters that would normally otherwise brush New England. It also means that the westerly or southwesterly flow you get would be weaker, making it warmer and drier. I can't remember if that's an el Nino or la Nina effect, though.

At the very least it sounds good. Can I bull ****, or can I? :thumbsup:

I believe so. I think what's basically happening is that the high pressure that sits over the plains in a normal winter pattern is weaker than normal, which causes the most southwesterly Gulf flow to track farther west than normal, meaning that the mid-Atlantic gets the nor'easters that would normally otherwise brush New England. It also means that the westerly or southwesterly flow you get would be weaker, making it warmer and drier. I can't remember if that's an el Nino or la Nina effect, though.

At the very least it sounds good. Can I bull ****, or can I? :thumbsup:

That makes sense though. All I know is that they keep saying the weather patterns keep splitting when they get close to our coast line. This causes all the rain to go south to CA. :w00t: Not good news for the Olympics though. They need snow.

A guy at work is convinced it is this:

Haarp

:thumbsup:

I think he is friends with a guy name Hugo down in Venezuela! :w00t:

The Snowpocalypse, the Haiti Earthquake, Hurricane Katrina, 9/11, mind control, chemtrail creation, ****ty Roland Emmerich movies...is there anything HAARP can't do? :lol: