One year wonders = Maybin?

DarthICE

If Maybin doesn't come into camp wearing 20lbs more muscle then I doubt he'll ever make it as an NFL DE. The positive that he has going for him is that he came out a year early and still has some growing and filling out to do.

I would think that if he's not contributing by game 10 of next year then he should look at moving to LB or he may have a short NFL career.

Personal motivation is a strange thing, some have it, others don't. We'll find out if Maybin has it......

I was thinking steroids, but maybe personal motivation will work, too!! :lol:

Does anyone care.Its what have you done for me lately and Mr Maybin held out, and did absolutely nothing on the field.He has collosal bust written all over him.

We don't even know what Maybin is yet. He hasn't seen training camp and he was playing for TWO coaches who were fighting for their jobs. If you were Jauron and Fewell, who would you play? The 5 year vet or the raw rookie? And it wasn't like Maybin was a reach. Half of the prognosticators had the Bills taking him.

Now, I'd have rather seen Oher at 11 as the Langston Walker thing sounded thin from the get-go with no Plan B. And I'd also love to have seen Orakpo/Cushing production from #58. But labeling him a bust at this point is just wacky.

The pick this year will be the best OLT available.

We don't even know what Maybin is yet. He hasn't seen training camp and he was playing for TWO coaches who were fighting for their jobs. If you were Jauron and Fewell, who would you play? The 5 year vet or the raw rookie? And it wasn't like Maybin was a reach. Half of the prognosticators had the Bills taking him.

Now, I'd have rather seen Oher at 11 as the Langston Walker thing sounded thin from the get-go with no Plan B. And I'd also love to have seen Orakpo/Cushing production from #58. But labeling him a bust at this point is just wacky.

God, I hope so!!

The thing about the Maybin pick was that he WAS a one year wonder at PSU. And one of the very few positions the Bills didn't have a critical need for last season was a replacement for Schobel. If those two factors don't add up to "head-scratching pick," here's a third one: All 4 of the USC linebackers AND Michael Oher were available when the Bills chose Maybin. So the Bills take a classic tweener with a very small body of work at the collegiate level as a backup to one of their better players while letting proven talent who could contribute RIGHT NOW pass them by. That's the essence of the frustration with the Maybin pick.

A couple of things I already love about Nix is that he's not into one year wonders, and he's not into projects who have to be converted to new positions where they MIGHT contribute a few years down the line.

Does anyone care.Its what have you done for me lately and Mr Maybin held out, and did absolutely nothing on the field.He has collosal bust written all over him.

I would give it another season before declaring 'bust', considering that Maybin did hold out, and the chaos on our coaching staff. Maybin strikes me as being pretty intelligent, so if he works hard in the offseason, he could turn out yet.

Although personally, I would have drafted Orakpo :lol:

I wasn't a big fan of the Maybin pick, either, but you can't declare him a bust after one year. The Bills knew, or should have

known, that Maybin would be a project. He was only a true-sophomore and was very under-weight (yeah, I know he bulked up quickly, but you had to figure he wouldn't hold weight gained that quickly). He's also only 20 y.o. and his body may fill-out, especially with more weight training.

Now, I don't know if he will ever come around or not. I also don't think it was a positive sign that he got so little playing time. But at least in all the interviews I've seen with him, he seems to have the attitude and work ethic to try to make a go of it. I am as frustrated with the pick and lack of production as most, but he does still have a high ceiling and his slow-development wasn't unexpected. I think (hope?) that he'll show improvement this year and by 2011 (if they don't have a lockout) he might be a very good player.

i think Maybin is definitely motivated. My concern is whether his body can hold another 15 lbs of muscle. Even if he's playing as a 3-4 OLB, he needs to get thicker in a hurry. Way too early to call him a bust. Not too early to say that it was an unnecessarily risky pick.

I have a friend who was on the Bills coaching staff up until his dismissal at the end of the season. He said that the general opinion of the coaches was that Maybin shouldn't even be in the league, let alone a first round pick. He said he "ran like Forest Gump" and never impressed on or off the field. I hope he's wrong but he was pretty clear in his opinion.

Hey, did you guys see the Hitler video on the Gailey hiring? I hear it's hilarious.

Never heard of it.

I have a friend who was on the Bills coaching staff up until his dismissal at the end of the season. He said that the general opinion of the coaches was that Maybin shouldn't even be in the league, let alone a first round pick. He said he "ran like Forest Gump" and never impressed on or off the field. I hope he's wrong but he was pretty clear in his opinion.

On the bright side, Gump was fast.

In another newsflash: I hear James Hardy is tall.

I'm not buying it.

How do you know that? He's had one season under his belt. Don't start dogging a guy after one year. Give him a chance. Even though Chris Ellis was a third round pick he's the king of suck right now and I doubt he'll make the team this year. JMO

You've seen enough of Ellis to know this? Gimme a break -- he hardly saw the field, and he looked pretty solid last preseason. I'm not convinced the last coaching staff knew what it was doing well enough to get these guys to succeed, but if in fact Sanders has been helping them to improve, another year of him should help.

I'm all for giving Maybin the benefit of the doubt thus far, though. He's just so young that we're basically getting what amounts to his Senior college season coming up here. He has a heck of a lot to prove and he is earning a lot of money while on the learning curve, but it'd be better to see him pan out than to be on the mark with regard to his impending "bust" status.

If Maybin doesn't come into camp wearing 20lbs more muscle then I doubt he'll ever make it as an NFL DE. The positive that he has going for him is that he came out a year early and still has some growing and filling out to do.

I would think that if he's not contributing by game 10 of next year then he should look at moving to LB or he may have a short NFL career.

Personal motivation is a strange thing, some have it, others don't. We'll find out if Maybin has it......

You are absolutely correct about personal motivation. When I heard Ray Lewis was taking him under his wing I almost fell off my chair. That guy is extremely motivated and if Maybin is anywhere close he will get much better( and bigger)