Ex-Pro Athlete SLAMS Haiti relief effort...

Wow, where to start. Some people make me sick, I'll leave it at that.

A little Ayn Rand is a good thing, too much allows an otherwise intelligent person to write crap like that article.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I do not agree with the bold part of your statement, THAT is a little harsh and uncalled for...you have voiced some strong words here. And, THOSE I DO agree with.

We have to worry about ourselves right now...we have some serious problems going on in our own country, that we need to tend to first...otherwise, we will NEVER be able to help ANYBODY, if we fail OURSELVES!

I ONLY care about those children who are suffering or who were lost over there. As far as the "freely reproducing" adults over there, I could honestly care less since WE ARE LOSING AMERICANS EVERY DAY in this useless, pointless war!

Again... What do you do when the people flee their country and try to come into the US?

Obama's comments, a precursor to an international relief effort directed toward the suffering people of Haiti, reminded me of a different moment in US-Haiti relations when the "common humanity" of Haitians with Americans was not assumed, or acted upon:

A History Lesson

So no matter how sincere he is, when President Obama pledges the "unwavering support" of the US to Haiti in the name of our "common humanity" there is a lot of history being swept under the carpet. The priority should be getting aid to Haiti in this moment of crisis, but the smart thing to do here--if history is any indication-- would be to keep the side-eye at the ready.

That is the only thing I will comment on, is the birth control, until I see how others feel. I do not want to offend anybody.

I don't think he was referring to condoms in the birth control sense, but rather as a preventative measure in the HIV sense, due to Haiti's high rate of infection. That's my guess anyway...

It is amazing that so many can have compassion for a greedy money grubber like Ralph who treats his fans like an endless ATM, yet when a poor population is devestated and actual human suffering (as opposed to Bills fan "suffering") is ongoing, people reveal their true identities.

Some sick mofos right here.

Poverty is the root cause of ALL of the problems in Haiti. High rates of birth, disease, hunger, death, etc are not new issues among the worlds impoverished countries or for that matter in poor communities in our own beloved US of A.

Do the people of Haiti need help... ABSOLUTELY. Do the people of Haiti need a handout? Yes and No. The author of the article makes a strong point in this regard and I believe the old adage "Give a man a fish and he'll eat today, but teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime" applies here.

As human beings, our initial reaction to disaster should be to assist those in need. To help provide basic necessities to preserve life. But, the relief efforts should have an education component and an exit strategy. Provide for their safety, teach them to provide for themselves, then get out and let them work hard, get their hands dirty and help themselves.

We all come from varied backgrounds and have had varied experiences in life. For me, on a very personal level, I'm the last guy that would ever ask someone for help. I believe you make your own way in life and you take care of your own. Maybe that's the blue collar Buffalonian in me. Or, perhaps it's just my proud and stubborn nature.

I'm always happy to help someone with a strong work ethic who is down on their luck. However, I'm hesitant to offer a handout to someone who is capable of providing for themselves but refuse to do so because it's easier to ask for a handout.

That's my $.02.

I know there is another place for this post, but I think it deserves to be posted right where I have put it. For the sole purpose that I only associate with the people in this specific forum and I do not think I have ever posted elsewhere. Therefore, I would like some feedback, thoughts and comments from all or as many of you, as I can get to read this and chime in.

This article just completely twisted my brain and flabbergasted me. I am in "Awe" and astounded that a professional athlete, who has gotten so much out of life, a majority of which I am sure was free, could say such things as he does in this article. However, I kind of, and I don't know why, agree with some of the points he tries to get across. Actually, the only thing that sticks out in my mind, like my Mother said a week ago, is why don't we teach these people about "birth control?"

That is the only thing I will comment on, is the birth control, until I see how others feel. I do not want to offend anybody.

PLEASE read this and share your thoughts on this article and how it relevantly relates to the situation in Haiti.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010...ians-use-condom

*This is something new to talk about. Something to take our minds off of our inept front office and the lackluster offseason our beloved Buffalo Bills have embarked on. There is nothing religious or political about this either. Please try to keep it that way, as well as somewhat positive, serious and non-offensive. (May be VERY hard to do, but please just try?)

THANK YOU - I hope to hear from MANY of you on this specific topic. (Not Haiti itself, but the article about the disaster.)

Sincerely,

Byrdman :thumbsup:

Just another nut case running his mouth. The easy thing to do is to write a letter or a blog post about what they see as wrong with the world. It's harder for them to actually get off their fat duffs and do anything about it.

Their "convictions" are in name only, to cover their hidden desire for attention.

Poverty is the root cause of ALL of the problems in Haiti. High rates of birth, disease, hunger, death, etc are not new issues among the worlds impoverished countries or for that matter in poor communities in our own beloved US of A.

Do the people of Haiti need help... ABSOLUTELY. Do the people of Haiti need a handout? Yes and No. The author of the article makes a strong point in this regard and I believe the old adage "Give a man a fish and he'll eat today, but teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime" applies here.

As human beings, our initial reaction to disaster should be to assist those in need. To help provide basic necessities to preserve life. But, the relief efforts should have an education component and an exit strategy. Provide for their safety, teach them to provide for themselves, then get out and let them work hard, get their hands dirty and help themselves.

We all come from varied backgrounds and have had varied experiences in life. For me, on a very personal level, I'm the last guy that would ever ask someone for help. I believe you make your own way in life and you take care of your own. Maybe that's the blue collar Buffalonian in me. Or, perhaps it's just my proud and stubborn nature.

I'm always happy to help someone with a strong work ethic who is down on their luck. However, I'm hesitant to offer a handout to someone who is capable of providing for themselves but refuse to do so because it's easier to ask for a handout.

That's my $.02.

What are you gonna teach them on that 1/2 of an island?

I am not slamming you, don't take it that way... Just saying.

What are you gonna teach them on that 1/2 of an island?

I am not slamming you, don't take it that way... Just saying.

His point was to help the people of Haiti in the sense of pointing them in the right direction, so they can learn for themselves. Plus, I think shoveldog was just saying that there are ways to "fix" how they do things. I don't know what they are and I doubt most of us do, but there's usually a way.

Shirley just sounds spoiled to me. I don't know his story or his upbringing, but he's either the type of guy who got everything handed to him or the type who clearly worked his a$$ off to get where he is, but is arrogant enough that he thinks he deserves everything he's earned. I can understand some of his points, but I don't think it's as simple as leaving them to fend for themselves. I think shoveldog's point is pretty much spot on.

There are plenty of people in the world who need help because of conditions that are no fault of their own. Since he's making enough money playing a professional sport, he could certainly help out a little. The biggest problem with our society (IMO) is guys like him who are conceited enough to not give back when they can afford to.

it's just one guy's opinion. just because he played a couple games in the NBA doesn't mean he doesn't have an opinion. we still live in america, don't we? he is entitled to his opinion.

just because you give to Haiti doesn't mean everyone has to.

I am just glad you used "entitled" in the correct way, unlike the linked blog. Just a pet peeve.

I know there is another place for this post, but I think it deserves to be posted right where I have put it. For the sole purpose that I only associate with the people in this specific forum and I do not think I have ever posted elsewhere. Therefore, I would like some feedback, thoughts and comments from all or as many of you, as I can get to read this and chime in.

This article just completely twisted my brain and flabbergasted me. I am in "Awe" and astounded that a professional athlete, who has gotten so much out of life, a majority of which I am sure was free, could say such things as he does in this article. However, I kind of, and I don't know why, agree with some of the points he tries to get across. Actually, the only thing that sticks out in my mind, like my Mother said a week ago, is why don't we teach these people about "birth control?"

PLEASE read this and share your thoughts on this article and how it relevantly relates to the situation in Haiti.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010...ians-use-condom

*This is something new to talk about. Something to take our minds off of our inept front office and the lackluster offseason our beloved Buffalo Bills have embarked on. There is nothing religious or political about this either. Please try to keep it that way, as well as somewhat positive, serious and non-offensive. (May be VERY hard to do, but please just try?)

THANK YOU - I hope to hear from MANY of you on this specific topic. (Not Haiti itself, but the article about the disaster.)

Sincerely,

Byrdman :thumbsup:

What would you expect from a former "NBA" player, especially one named Shirley. The majority of people down there couldn't afford condoms even if they wanted to use them. Maybe Shirley's parents should have used a condom.

I guess nature has a way of dealing with a variety of things. I think they call it natural selection or only the strong survive. While I feel for these people they do not have any formal rights to aid from anybody but themselves. Whatever happened to individual responsibility? That's a term being phased out of our language very quickly.

In the past, lazy people were punished with a meager lifestyle and existence. Now, we provide mucho "benefits" and "entitlements" to the lazy and unmotivated. Need more cash - have another baby....Didn't work enough for Social Security? no problem we'll give you SSI. Are you unfortunately physically healthy and able to work but don't want to - no problem we have a myriad of designer mental health conditions such as depression, moodiness, stress etc, etc etc to ensure you get the money you are "entitled to"...

This whole structure is beginning to crumble as there are too many people getting hand-outs who don't work and that number gets larger every year... We're doomed....

as bad as it is in haiti, the guy did make some interesting points, whether right or wrong.

especially about the haitian government and adult haitians being responsible for having no foresight.

what did strike a nerve with me was the quote from the haitian women, "i dont know whose responsibility it is, but they need to give us something soon."

+1

I don't give to charities, either, because I simply don't believe the money ever goes to where they say it goes. I think 80-90% of it gets pocketed by those running the charity and the remainder goes to a few situations that can result in some nice photo-ops to be used to raise future funds. Call me cynical, but that pretty much defines most charities IMO.

And I do agree that people need to at least make an effort to put themselves in a better position to cope with things like this, but sometimes the scope of disaster is just too great to comprehend or prepare for.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

That's my $.02.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner. Excellent post and you express what the majority of people would. I think that Shirley pretty much said the same thing, though a bit more longwinded.

That's my $.02.

:thumbsup::beer::lol: +1

I guess nature has a way of dealing with a variety of things. I think they call it natural selection or only the strong survive. While I feel for these people they do not have any formal rights to aid from anybody but themselves. Whatever happened to individual responsibility? That's a term being phased out of our language very quickly.

In the past, lazy people were punished with a meager lifestyle and existence. Now, we provide mucho "benefits" and "entitlements" to the lazy and unmotivated. Need more cash - have another baby....Didn't work enough for Social Security? no problem we'll give you SSI. Are you unfortunately physically healthy and able to work but don't want to - no problem we have a myriad of designer mental health conditions such as depression, moodiness, stress etc, etc etc to ensure you get the money you are "entitled to"...

This whole structure is beginning to crumble as there are too many people getting hand-outs who don't work and that number gets larger every year... We're doomed....

My strong suspicion is that you watch a lot of Fox News--nothing wrong with that, but ever notice how there's a commercial seemingly every 20 minutes on that channel touting "free" Medicare paid for automatic wheelchairs/carts for the aged and infirm? They literally say that Medicare will buy you one of these and, if not, the company will give it to you for free. Anyone else appreciate the irony of that considering the channel it's airing on and the "let's shrink govt down to nothing (oh, yeah, except for my piece--don't touch that)" demographic the channel appeals to. Must work, otherwise that company wouldn't be advertising there. Sometimes this level of hypocrisy amazes even cynical old me....

His point was to help the people of Haiti in the sense of pointing them in the right direction, so they can learn for themselves. Plus, I think shoveldog was just saying that there are ways to "fix" how they do things. I don't know what they are and I doubt most of us do, but there's usually a way.

Shirley just sounds spoiled to me. I don't know his story or his upbringing, but he's either the type of guy who got everything handed to him or the type who clearly worked his a$$ off to get where he is, but is arrogant enough that he thinks he deserves everything he's earned. I can understand some of his points, but I don't think it's as simple as leaving them to fend for themselves. I think shoveldog's point is pretty much spot on.

There are plenty of people in the world who need help because of conditions that are no fault of their own. Since he's making enough money playing a professional sport, he could certainly help out a little. The biggest problem with our society (IMO) is guys like him who are conceited enough to not give back when they can afford to.

I second this. He makes a good point about the philosophy of giving handouts in general, a less-than-good point about the devastation in Haiti being a direct result of the general backwardness of the country, and completely misses the point on the difference between "handouts" and "aid".

He also seems to suffer from a basic (and common, and commonly America) egocentricism, in thinking that everyone is somehow capable of helping themselves - news flash: Haiti's a pit. Their ****-ass building practices may be (hell, are) responsible for the devastation, but there's not a hell of a lot of opportunity for the average Haitian to build to any sort of earthquake-proof code.

Basically, the author makes a couple of good points...but probably only accidentally, in light of his demonstrated massive ignorance.

Yeah... he could use some sensitivity training.

But, Billions and billions and billions have been poured into that country over the past 70 years... Papa Doc and on. I personally know missionaries that had been there from the mid sixties unti the late 90's. All that money goes to the dictator to build his palaces, wardrobe, and his luxuries. Maybe 1% the people end up getting.

You can give someone a fish sandwich and feed them for a day, or you can teach them how to fish and feed them for a lifetime.

No matter what has been done in Haiti, it's a no win situation because of the culture.

Sad for sure, because of all of the suffering that goes on. Until that culture is changed, and I don't see it happening, it's gooing to be the same old same old.