Ex-Pro Athlete SLAMS Haiti relief effort...

I know there is another place for this post, but I think it deserves to be posted right where I have put it. For the sole purpose that I only associate with the people in this specific forum and I do not think I have ever posted elsewhere. Therefore, I would like some feedback, thoughts and comments from all or as many of you, as I can get to read this and chime in.

This article just completely twisted my brain and flabbergasted me. I am in "Awe" and astounded that a professional athlete, who has gotten so much out of life, a majority of which I am sure was free, could say such things as he does in this article. However, I kind of, and I don't know why, agree with some of the points he tries to get across. Actually, the only thing that sticks out in my mind, like my Mother said a week ago, is why don't we teach these people about "birth control?"

That is the only thing I will comment on, is the birth control, until I see how others feel. I do not want to offend anybody.

PLEASE read this and share your thoughts on this article and how it relevantly relates to the situation in Haiti.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010...ians-use-condom

*This is something new to talk about. Something to take our minds off of our inept front office and the lackluster offseason our beloved Buffalo Bills have embarked on. There is nothing religious or political about this either. Please try to keep it that way, as well as somewhat positive, serious and non-offensive. (May be VERY hard to do, but please just try?)

THANK YOU - I hope to hear from MANY of you on this specific topic. (Not Haiti itself, but the article about the disaster.)

Sincerely,

Byrdman :thumbsup:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as bad as it is in haiti, the guy did make some interesting points, whether right or wrong.

especially about the haitian government and adult haitians being responsible for having no foresight.

what did strike a nerve with me was the quote from the haitian women, "i dont know whose responsibility it is, but they need to give us something soon."

I think his article shows an egocentric outlook and lack of empathy.

Being born in Michigan or in his case California, It's easy to look at other areas and say that's a stupid place to live. But the truth is people tend to stay in the area they were born in and certainly within the continent/country they were born in. The poorer the country, the further other countries are, the more this is true. I don't pretend to know the history of Haiti or why they have such high poverty levels. I imagine if they had the option to build wood/metal framed houses and use reinforced concrete they probably would have used it. Perhaps the government should have done more, perhaps the people should have done more. I don't know how much they could have done, again I'm not Haitian.

This guy presumes a lot of things here. Maybe if he was born into Haitian society it would be easier for him to understand why things happened like they did. Maybe I'm a sucker and my money will be wasted. Still the thought of so many kids parent less, some with no comprehension of whats even happening..... So much human suffering. If my money can help somebody even get a sip of clean water, well I'm glad I did it.

He makes some valid points, and a few things were, shall we say misguided, but he's entitled to his opinion.

I did agree with questioning the "i don't know who is responsible" line. At some point people need to help themselves, instead of looking for handouts.

Being born in Michigan or in his case California, It's easy to look at other areas and say that's a stupid place to live. But the truth is people tend to stay in the area they were born in and certainly within the continent/country they were born in. The poorer the country, the further other countries are, the more this is true. I don't pretend to know the history of Haiti or why they have such high poverty levels. I imagine if they had the option to build wood/metal framed houses and use reinforced concrete they probably would have used it. Perhaps the government should have done more, perhaps the people should have done more. I don't know how much they could have done, again I'm not Haitian.

This guy presumes a lot of things here. Maybe if he was born into Haitian society it would be easier for him to understand why things happened like they did. Maybe I'm a sucker and my money will be wasted. Still the thought of so many kids parent less, some with no comprehension of whats even happening..... So much human suffering. If my money can help somebody even get a sip of clean water, well I'm glad I did it.

the guy has lived only in his own shoes.

he has a right to his opinion but in my mind it is self serving. what he is really saying is outlined in the first setance. I did not give and im not gonna. Oh and by the way here is my excuse ont to and I implore others to not give also, so I will not be the only jerk-off.

My guess is Mr. Shirley has a good excuse to never give anything to any charity except Paul Shirley. Greenpeace - why did the whales put themslves in such a precasious position? The Japanese whaling ships were there last year - they should know better or dive deeper.

And he does not have to give that is purely personal of course. But he should shut up about it rather than encourage and entitle otehrs to be the same way.

Jerk.

one can only hope that when the writer of the article is in need - those who come to his aid won't remember that he was cold and callous to the suffering of so many human beings.

and make no mistake - at some point in time he will be in need of help - and people WILL come to his aid - because that is what MOST of us do.

why? - well it's obvious - one of the very few things in life that is a truism - WE ARE ALL WE REALLY HAVE ON THIS SPACESHIP CALLED EARTH.

Very well sad Kazoo!

The said thing about this tragedy is that it really is not about the actual physical earthquake. Sure the earthquake caused the damage... But the devastation is really because of the human infrastructure that was there. Somebody said: "Why does stuff always happen to the poor countries." The answer is because they are poor and don't have properly constructed buildings. This is a tragedy brought on by humans. The earthquake just happened... Of course knocking down that horrible house of cards on to those poor people. People say: "How can God do this?" This isn't God's fault, it is the human's fault. Of course the people of Haiti need empathy... But where was the empathy before the quake?

At some point people need to help themselves, instead of looking for handouts.

So you are okay with these people heading to teh coast and finding any means possible to set sail on and land somewhere else? Like The US?

That is really the only practical option these poor people have right now at "helping themselves." It isn't like they are gonnafind 40 acres and a mule.

In this day in age, we really need fellas like a Swift to make modest proposals.

I kinda agree with him, the main point of the article is all this money is going into this place, and they're not being held accountable for what they're doing with it. IF they rebuild the cities in the same manor and another earthquake strikes again, well, I mean, c'mon. You knew it was possible.

I live in FL, on the panhandle, and I'm required to have hurricane proof windows on my house.

The guy has a point, and I don't really think he was even that harsh. It seemed very logical to me.

I kinda agree with him, the main point of the article is all this money is going into this place, and they're not being held accountable for what they're doing with it. IF they rebuild the cities in the same manor and another earthquake strikes again, well, I mean, c'mon. You knew it was possible.

I live in FL, on the panhandle, and I'm required to have hurricane proof windows on my house.

The guy has a point, and I don't really think he was even that harsh. It seemed very logical to me.

What do you do with these people then? They are totally at mercy to everything. How does effective change happen?

I only see one option... Abandon Haiti and scatter its citizens throughout the world.

I mean... What do we (as people of the world) do?

what did strike a nerve with me was the quote from the haitian women, "i dont know whose responsibility it is, but they need to give us something soon."
He makes some valid points, and a few things were, shall we say misguided, but he's entitled to his opinion.

I did agree with questioning the "i don't know who is responsible" line. At some point people need to help themselves, instead of looking for handouts.

I agree with this point. For somebody, in that position, to say something like that...to me, just sounds selfish.

If my money can help somebody even get a sip of clean water, well I'm glad I did it.

And because of that statement above, that you just made, is why you are a decent human being. We need more like you.

Welcome to the free world, where people are entitled to opinions, regardless of how stupid and uninformed they are.

The thing is, Paul Shirley IS NOT stupid by ANY stretch of the imagination...and he did seem to do his research as well.

Jerk. I hope he ruptures his ACL.

You should never wish harm upon somebody else. That karma may come back 10-fold. But, I agree he is a jerk.

To answer your mother's question:

Actually, the only thing that sticks out in my mind, like my Mother said a week ago, is why don't we teach these people about "birth control?"

Answer: Because it (reproductive freedom) is the only control they have over anything.

I hope that is not a cheap-shot at my Mother? But, this "reproductive freedom," is that part of their culture/religion? How are you going to have this so-called "reproductive freedom" when you cannot even fend for yourself, let alone your kids? That notion of "reproductive freedom" sounds like a bad joke. Americans have the FREEDOM to do whatever they want, yet we do not donate money to alcoholics or drug addicts to help them with their problem. I have never even heard of somebody donating ANY money to help problems like those, or even to local support groups like AA and NA. Those people know what is going to happen when they hop in the hay and shag. The outcome? A suffering child. Where and when does that suffering child's freedom come into play? When he/she is an adult, if they make it that far, so they can produce children that they will not be able to fend for? Now, THAT is some bullish! I am sorry, I just don't buy that crap!

WE ARE ALL WE REALLY HAVE ON THIS SPACESHIP CALLED EARTH.

And, THAT is sad, considering how we all treat eachother...not to mention killing eachother.

But where was the empathy before the quake?

Well, why do we need to have empathy for any other country, but our own right now? It is not like we are in the best of shape right now. WE NEED MONEY FOR OURSELVES! Our economy is crap right now, and many of our own are suffering!

*Now that I have gotten some feedback, I'll say this. I am with Shirley and I am against Shirley. I believe that his point about the woman's quote, is ridiculous and selfish. But, at the same time, they are desperate and they do need help. However, I do not believe that the help provided NEEDS to be BILLIONS of dollars. Our economy needs that money for US to survive. Where would they be, or where will they be, when our country is in dire need of help? NOBODY will or would help us if it came down to it. Did ANY other country send us money for the victims of Hurricane Katrina? NOPE!

Bottom line is...we have our own country to worry about. Go down and help them re-establish their culture and environment, but donating BILLIONS of dollars to them, for God knows what...sounds like an attempt to just make our country as a whole look better. It is also an opportunity for celebrities and big-wigs to donate and make themselves look good in the public eye. Sure, I will throw $10 to the relief effort through a text message...but $1 MILLION is better off served being spent in our economy to help ourselves out, in what is being called a "depression!"

Quite "depressing", if you ask me.

Thank you for having an open-mind about this. I agree with you 100%! :thumbsup:

Byrd... By no means was that a cheap shot. Sorry if it came off that way.

What I was trying to say is that these people are utterly powerless... And the one thing they do control (reproductive ability)... Is then going to be controlled. I do agree that birth control would be very beneficial to all... Yet, in a sad way, it is taking away the trully one source of power they have... And joy.

While I do not entirely disagree with this guy, I will say that he doesn't have a clue as to how or when disaster can strike. Should the first mile of coastline be evacuated across the entire globe because a tsunami could hit? There's not a bit of coastline anywhere that is not subject to a possible tsunami. Some coastal areas are certainly more prone to them than others, but quakes can strike anywhere under the ocean floor. Does he have a clue about what he is saying here in this regard?

I believe in a hand-up and not a hand-out and I think this whole Haitian relief effort is a massive hand-out. On the other hand, do any of us know how desperate we would quickly become without drinkable water, food, and shelter? It could happen to any of us at any time. Disasters come in many forms -- earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanos, tornados, hurricanes, floods, blizzards, nuclear plant meltdowns, asteroids, massive solar flares, fires, avalanches, rock slides, heat waves, etc. If there is some magical place on Earth where nothing bad can ever happen, I'd sure like to know where that is.

I don't give to charities, either, because I simply don't believe the money ever goes to where they say it goes. I think 80-90% of it gets pocketed by those running the charity and the remainder goes to a few situations that can result in some nice photo-ops to be used to raise future funds. Call me cynical, but that pretty much defines most charities IMO.

And I do agree that people need to at least make an effort to put themselves in a better position to cope with things like this, but sometimes the scope of disaster is just too great to comprehend or prepare for.

You know what would happen if the US left them to their own devices... Alllowing them to help themselves... Where do you think they would be? You betcha... Floating in the ocean trying to get to another shore.

Boat people. Can you really blame them? They are actually taking action to help themselves.

Boats have been a widely used form of migration or escape for people of limited resources. Most boat people travel without formal right of entry to their destination, but on arrival may seek asylum for various reasons depending on the destination country's laws. They often risk their lives on dangerously crude and overcrowded boats to escape oppression or poverty in their home nations. Some choose to emigrate to better their lives -- others, especially political refugees, may be fleeing for their lives.

What the F? F-HAITI. F-HAITI. F-HAITI

The Domincan Republic is on the same island as Haiti and is much better off as a country than Haiti. This guy is like many other people in this country. We get d-bag foundations like the Red Cross and other people saying we need to give money we worked hard to earn to some country that is corrupt and will just waste it. If you feel the need to be charitable, go to the corner bum, buy him a Big Mac. He deserves as much charity as some people in Haiti.

Some could argue they are prisoners of their government. Does that mean the USA has to run over there and save them? We cannot even save ourselves in this mess of a country. Even Cuba has a better economy than Haiti. That we should spend one ounce giving half of a second of thought during a commercial of a rerun of a show we hate is a joke. What country has ever come to our aid during national tragedies? Other than 9/11, I cannot think of anything. Maybe Canada helps us on a few things but I am sure we pay them. What are we going to do to help them? Rebuild homes for them when children here in this country are as bad off? Are we that hypocritcal of a country to neglect our own to protect someone who, quite frankly, is not as important as someone in our own country?

Another fun point... it took us how long to get in to New Orleans to help out? A week? Yet, we're dropping off our own soldiers to play police officer in a foreign country? What will it gain? We have a freakin war going on people! New Orleans, though, should have fixed its levies and I wish we wouldn't have saved that place.

Stop giving blindly to charity. Research good charities if you're going to give. The United Way and the Red Cross are practicing nearly organized crime! Give to local charities, look in to their tax filings. Doctors Without Boarders is a good charity, for example.

We feel bad for this place because it is plastered on the news every five seconds. In the past 2 weeks their have been 6 other earthquakes with a magnitude of 5 or higher all breezed over in the news. How many soldiers have died in the two weeks? How has our government done on this whole healthcare bill? What has happened locally in your area since? What important things are really going on right now that are being left aside to cover this? They knew earthquakes were coming. They were warned. They brought it on themselves. It is just the way it goes, it is unfortunate, but it is life. A chance, a gift, and you cannot always control it. While I do feel bad that people are suffering, I care more about what is going on in my own house, in my own neighborhood, in my own country. After all of that, I will think about Haiti...and do nothing.

The Domincan Republic is on the same island as Haiti and is much better off as a country than Haiti. This guy is like many other people in this country. We get d-bag foundations like the Red Cross and other people saying we need to give money we worked hard to earn to some country that is corrupt and will just waste it. If you feel the need to be charitable, go to the corner bum, buy him a Big Mac. He deserves as much charity as some people in Haiti.

Some could argue they are prisoners of their government. Does that mean the USA has to run over there and save them? We cannot even save ourselves in this mess of a country. Even Cuba has a better economy than Haiti. That we should spend one ounce giving half of a second of thought during a commercial of a rerun of a show we hate is a joke. What country has ever come to our aid during national tragedies? Other than 9/11, I cannot think of anything. Maybe Canada helps us on a few things but I am sure we pay them. What are we going to do to help them? Rebuild homes for them when children here in this country are as bad off? Are we that hypocritcal of a country to neglect our own to protect someone who, quite frankly, is not as important as someone in our own country?

Another fun point... it took us how long to get in to New Orleans to help out? A week? Yet, we're dropping off our own soldiers to play police officer in a foreign country? What will it gain? We have a freakin war going on people! New Orleans, though, should have fixed its levies and I wish we wouldn't have saved that place.

Stop giving blindly to charity. Research good charities if you're going to give. The United Way and the Red Cross are practicing nearly organized crime! Give to local charities, look in to their tax filings. Doctors Without Boarders is a good charity, for example.

We feel bad for this place because it is plastered on the news every five seconds. In the past 2 weeks their have been 6 other earthquakes with a magnitude of 5 or higher all breezed over in the news. How many soldiers have died in the two weeks? How has our government done on this whole healthcare bill? What has happened locally in your area since? What important things are really going on right now that are being left aside to cover this? They knew earthquakes were coming. They were warned. They brought it on themselves. It is just the way it goes, it is unfortunate, but it is life. A chance, a gift, and you cannot always control it. While I do feel bad that people are suffering, I care more about what is going on in my own house, in my own neighborhood, in my own country. After all of that, I will think about Haiti...and do nothing.

Again... Do you want them all fleeing to boats and headed to FLA? What do you do them when they are out at sea? Even worse situation. We leave them to their own devices, the problem becomes worse 100 fold.

Although I do not agree with the bold part of your statement, THAT is a little harsh and uncalled for...you have voiced some strong words here. And, THOSE I DO agree with.

We have to worry about ourselves right now...we have some serious problems going on in our own country, that we need to tend to first...otherwise, we will NEVER be able to help ANYBODY, if we fail OURSELVES!

I ONLY care about those children who are suffering or who were lost over there. As far as the "freely reproducing" adults over there, I could honestly care less since WE ARE LOSING AMERICANS EVERY DAY in this useless, pointless war!