Trade out of the 9th pick

BeastMode54

If, and this is a big if, Claussen is there at 9 or Bradford, and we decide we want to go OT (most likely either one of Davis, Bulaga, or Campbell will be there too), a team hungry for a QB with a more NFL ready line might be willing to swap picks with us. This way we add a high pick, AND get the OT that we so desperately need. Thoughts?

Interesting possibility and I see your reasoning. Me, I'd take the best OT available at 9 (Probably Anthony Davis). If Davis is gone and Clausen or Bradford are there I'd be VERY tempted to trade down and take Beluga or Campbell.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If, and this is a big if, Claussen is there at 9 or Bradford, and we decide we want to go OT (most likely either one of Davis, Bulaga, or Campbell will be there too), a team hungry for a QB with a more NFL ready line might be willing to swap picks with us. This way we add a high pick, AND get the OT that we so desperately need. Thoughts?

I thought about this and wondered about SF who has 13 and 17 - Alex Smith played better but only made 11 games- could we move down to 13 and pick up a 3rd or move down to 17 and pick up a 2nd rounder.

This year I think we are better off staying at #9 and drafting the best OT on the board.

Like other people have said this draft is deeper at OT than at QB.

We must take a OT first, we would have been in a better position to take a QB if we had drafted Oher last spring, but OBD did not. :doh:

I thought about this and wondered about SF who has 13 and 17 - Alex Smith played better but only made 11 games- could we move down to 13 and pick up a 3rd or move down to 17 and pick up a 2nd rounder.

Four or five years ago, that might have been a possibility, but rookie salaries seem to have devalued the high picks lately. I doubt the Bills could get an additional second rounder without dropping back into the mid 20s these days.

Interesting possibility and I see your reasoning. Me, I'd take the best OT available at 9 (Probably Anthony Davis). If Davis is gone and Clausen or Bradford are there I'd be VERY tempted to trade down and take Beluga or Campbell.

I like Davis also.

I like Davis also.

i like Davis as well, but I think he may be better suited for the guard position in the NFL. I'm a rutgers alum and watched him play every single game at Rutgers...he's superbly talented, but he never really reached his full potential here..he still may though. But from me watching him, he was more dominant as a Guard than as a tackle. I'd love for him to be on the Bills so I can continue following his pro career closely, but not with the 9th pick...

i like Davis as well, but I think he may be better suited for the guard position in the NFL. I'm a rutgers alum and watched him play every single game at Rutgers...he's superbly talented, but he never really reached his full potential here..he still may though. But from me watching him, he was more dominant as a Guard than as a tackle. I'd love for him to be on the Bills so I can continue following his pro career closely, but not with the 9th pick...

hey bobobonators.....your third pick was in the news....

Schofield tears ACL at Senior Bowl drills

Posted by Mike Florio on January 26, 2010 7:11 AM ET

The 2010 pre-draft evaluation process has claimed its first victim.

Wisconsin defensive end O'Brien Schofield tore an ACL during the first day of practices at the Senior Bowl on Monday, according to Jeff Potrykus of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

"I was in tears," Schofield told Potrykus Monday night. "I just couldn't believe it."

Schofield was in the process of transitioning to linebacker at the next level. He was named defensive MVP for the East-West Shrine Game. On Monday, he was practicing with the defensive ends.

"He did a really nice job last week and opened eyes," Packers director of college scouting John Dorsey told Potrykus. "A good player."

Schofield is the second former Badger in two years to have his pro career derailed by a January ACL tear. In 2008, cornerback Jack Ikegwuonu suffered the same injury while working out on his own. The first-round prospect fell to round four, and he has had trouble gaining traction after missing all of his rookie season.

Schofield is nevertheless optimistic. "I truly believe that somewhere some good is going to come out of this."

Named to the 2009 all-Big Ten Conference team, Schofield was projected to be drafted in round two or three. He'll undoubtedly fall to a later round.

We're a team hungry for a QB. If you don't have a QB, you never pass up a chance to get a franchise QB. We can spend the remaining 8 picks on O-line if you want, just don't pass up a potential franchise QB.

Ahhhh but the real question here is WILL there be a franchise QB out of this draft. That is being highly debated.

I dont see any Payton Manning's

I think more time is needed to study the QBs that will be available in R1 and R2 before we think about trading our #9 overall pick.

We need to come away with a starting caliber LT and a starting caliber QB. At the very least, that should be the goal for next year. Quite a number of different scenarios could unfold, namely:

1. Obtain LT M. McNeil (i.e. proven vet LT) and QB D. McNabb (i.e. proven vet QB) prior to the draft - Then who do we take in R1 (ILB McClain)?? We'd certainly have many more options. In this case, I'd be inclined to trade down in R1 and pick up more picks to fortify the roster. We could come away with FIVE potential new and improved starters (i.e. McNabb, McNeil, R1, R2, R2).

2. Obtain LT McNeil only prior to the draft - Then we probably go with Bradford or Claussen. I'd prefer having the vet QB (i.e. McNabb) prior to the draft because then we'd at least have an improved starter at QB and wouldn't be forced to take Bradford or Claussen. It still remains to be seen what the Bills and other NFL pundits really think of Bradford and Claussen.

From what I've heard, Bradford is easily a top 5 pick with Claussen being more of a 7-12 overall pick. It would be nice to have one of them to train behind McNabb for a year or so.

3. Obtain QB McNabb only prior to the draft - In this case we might want to still go with a QB (again Bradford or Claussen), but would probably be inclined to take a R1 LT. LT A. Davis is looking pretty good at #9 overall.

4. Trade down from #9 overall to #12-#15 range and pick up at least an additional R2 pick. That scenario might only present itself if someone like Claussen or McClain is still available....and that is very possible.

The bottom line is that the Bills have a lot of holes to fill to be able to challenge for a playoff spot next year. They'd be off to a great start if they could fill the much needed QB and LT spots prior to the draft and then look to fill their needs at other starting positions with the best draft picks available.

But then what's the point of a QB if he has no time to throw the ball and no ability to run?

Grab Vick, pick an OT w/ the 9th pick, then grab Tebo later in the draft. Vick/Tebo have "like" styles, this will allow Tebo to grow into the job. The Buffalo Bills have not had a true leader since the great Jim Kelly. I don't care about bad technique, this guy is 6'3 220 or close to that, he's big, smart, and a true team leader and knows how to get the job done. It's the intangibles that matter. It sure would bring some excitement back to the team. Doug Flute had this intangible quality as well but wasn't 6'3 220.

Grab Vick, pick an OT w/ the 9th pick, then grab Tebo later in the draft. Vick/Tebo have "like" styles, this will allow Tebo to grow into the job. The Buffalo Bills have not had a true leader since the great Jim Kelly. I don't care about bad technique, this guy is 6'3 220 or close to that, he's big, smart, and a true team leader and knows how to get the job done. It's the intangibles that matter. It sure would bring some excitement back to the team. Doug Flute had this intangible quality as well but wasn't 6'3 220.

maybe vick and tebow could be roommates......that would be a test of wills......lol

Bill....you are making a excellent point here and I would hate to see it derailed by one word. Fixed

Thanks John. Who knows if Manning would have lasted as a young, developing qb if he didn't have a great player such as Glenn to protect his blind side? They already had Harrison, and yet it still took a full season for Manning, an all time great, to develop.

The Bills play outside in the elements. They NEED big, strong, talented lines. But John, I gotta tell you, I would be hard pressed to pass on Rolando McClain if he fell to us by some miracle (which I doubt). He is THAT good, and from what little I hve seen of Baluga, he looks more like a RT or even a Guard than a premier LT.

Jmo.