What the hell is this all about?

Rudyc80

Got this from bills.com

John Diebold (Buffalo): Will there be a Bills game at home on January 2, 2005? Word has it the county proposed "red budget" eliminates sheriff patrol and stadium grounds keepers. Will it be safe to attend the game, or will the game need to be moved to Pittsburgh?

TD: At the present time we have no intentions to move our home game on January 2. The game has been on the schedule since last spring and we have not received any information otherwise. If something should develop, the National Football League would also have to be involved if there were any decision made with regard to the game. We are hopeful that all the issues surrounding the game and the "red budget" will be worked out. Our plans right now are that our final home game will be at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

What the heck is this about?

:)

Got this from bills.com

John Diebold (Buffalo): Will there be a Bills game at home on January 2, 2005? Word has it the county proposed "red budget" eliminates sheriff patrol and stadium grounds keepers. Will it be safe to attend the game, or will the game need to be moved to Pittsburgh?

TD: At the present time we have no intentions to move our home game on January 2. The game has been on the schedule since last spring and we have not received any information otherwise. If something should develop, the National Football League would also have to be involved if there were any decision made with regard to the game. We are hopeful that all the issues surrounding the game and the "red budget" will be worked out. Our plans right now are that our final home game will be at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

:)

130029[/snapback]

Giambra wants to raise the sales tax to 9.25% to cover the Medicaid costs for the county. In order to force the county legislature and the state assembly to let him do it, he has proposed a "red" scorched earth budget that will go into place without the new sales tax. This budget eliminates libraries, snow plowing, sheriff patrols and about 3,000 county workers. The legislature has to approve a budget by Dec 7, at which time this whole fiasco should be worked out.

I hadn't thought about it affecting the Bills game in January, but I guess the Sheriff patrols would have to be replaced by some other means if the "red" budget goes into effect.

No Sherriffs' Patrols could provide for an interesting day at the Ralph on Jan. 2nd. Traffic would be a real mess. Drinking could get way, way out of control with nobody in the parking lots. Nobody to stop the DWI's. Just hired security and no real cops in the stadium could lead to things turning insane. Like having a substitute teacher in charge of detention at the school in prison.

My brother works for the Erie County highway dept. The red budget for them would be only 20 people in the whole county, 10 in the southtowns and 10 in the northtowns. That's 3 per shift. No potholes filled, no plowing (my bro's a wingman in the winter). The parks would also close. I think that include the zoo since I think the county took it over.

Giambra wants to raise the sales tax to 9.25% to cover the Medicaid costs for the county.  In order to force the county legislature and the state assembly to let him do it, he has proposed a "red" scorched earth budget that will go into place without the new sales tax.  This budget eliminates libraries, snow plowing, sheriff patrols and about 3,000 county workers.  The legislature has to approve a budget by Dec 7, at which time this whole fiasco should be worked out.

I hadn't thought about it affecting the Bills game in January, but I guess the Sheriff patrols would have to be replaced by some other means if the "red" budget goes into effect.

130074[/snapback]

Wow another half baked idea by erie county politicians. Lets get rid of plow drivers in an area that is infamous for its snowstorms. :lol::lol::lol: It is no wonder why I want to leave this state when I get out of college, bad economy, high taxes, and a state that can't pass a budget on time

Giambra wants to raise the sales tax to 9.25% to cover the Medicaid costs for the county.  In order to force the county legislature and the state assembly to let him do it, he has proposed a "red" scorched earth budget that will go into place without the new sales tax.  This budget eliminates libraries, snow plowing, sheriff patrols and about 3,000 county workers.  The legislature has to approve a budget by Dec 7, at which time this whole fiasco should be worked out.

130074[/snapback]

Wow! No snow plowing?

Know you know why it costs more to do "business" up north.

These are services with emmense returnable benefits yet, the costs are unrecoverable and impossible to collect for on a use basis.

I know this may sound like a crazy idea and is directed toward AD out there.

Would something like snowplowing fall under the Constituiton's infrastructure provisions? It is direct maintainence to the surrounding infrastructure?

If all the federal taxpayers fund the inland waterways, why not have all federal taxpayers fund the upkeep of infrastructure in the north?

Don't shoot the messenger... Political, yet applicable with reagards to our constitution?

Another brain-dead politician ruining WNY. God, I wish we could be permanently rid of every last one of them.

And, I'm occassionally asked why I won't move back to Buffalo. There, you have it.

All of you out of staters that have left the region need to be brought up to speed. First off, it's not Giambra... I commend him for what he's attempting to do.

What's happened over the past 8 years is that the state has cut their costs by passing their costs on to the counties. Well, that works in Westchester County where you have lots of income. But it flat out sucks in upstate where you have a depressed economy, dimished tax base, too much welfare, and noemedicaid payments that are just damn unfair...add to that school budgets that the resident taxpayers bear almost all of the burden and it's just killing us... as an example of this... in Cortland County, in 1994 my home was assesed for 149K and my total taxes for town, county, school were $2900 per year. Today, working off the same assessed value, they are $7200/year. I guarantee you my income hasn't doubled in that timeframe. And now they are going through the process of reasssment and they're sure to go up, because I've installed a new kitchen, windows, roof, entrance way in the past 3 years.

The problem is at the state level. The most powerful man in NYS is Sheldon Silver... a NYC politician and he heads up the Democrat side of the state legilature. His republican conterpart is Jim Bruno. Both are corrupt bastard thugs that have done nothing but raped this state. Giambra is saying enough is enough to these bastards. He's saying if you want to mandate that this county must fund medicaid, welfare, etc. then OK, we'll fund them, but there aint no money for anything else so see how you like that and how are you going to look in Albany when you've chosen this over public safety?

So, there you have it... NYS is fugged up. It will take a situation like california where the voters are going to take down the governor. that might not be a bad idea... but until Silver and Bruno are taken away in handcuffs and sumarily executed, this state will continue to go down the drain. I've got 5 more years to consider an early retirement... I've already made my decision... I'm outta here in 2009... and then I'm headed to near Rehobeth, Delaware... over the next year I'm laying the groundwork.

All of you out of staters that have left the region need to be brought up to speed.  First off, it's not Giambra... I commend him for what he's attempting to do.

What's happened over the past 8 years is that the state has cut their costs by passing their costs on to the counties.  Well, that works in Westchester County where you have lots of income.  But it flat out sucks in upstate where you have a depressed economy, dimished tax base, too much welfare, and noemedicaid payments that are just damn unfair...add to that school budgets that the resident taxpayers bear almost all of the burden and it's just killing us... as an example of this... in Cortland County, in 1994 my home was assesed for 149K and my total taxes for town, county, school were $2900 per year.  Today, working off the same assessed value, they are $7200/year.  I guarantee you my income hasn't doubled in that timeframe.  And now they are going through the process of reasssment and they're sure to go up, because I've installed a new kitchen, windows, roof, entrance way in the past 3 years.

The problem is at the state level.  The most powerful man in NYS is Sheldon Silver... a NYC politician and he heads up the Democrat side of the state legilature.  His republican conterpart is Jim Bruno.  Both are corrupt bastard thugs that have done nothing but raped this state.  Giambra is saying enough is enough to these bastards.  He's saying if you want to mandate that this county must fund medicaid, welfare, etc. then OK, we'll fund them, but there aint no money for anything else so see how you like that and how are you going to look in Albany when you've chosen this over public safety?

So, there you have it... NYS is fugged up.  It will take a situation like california where the voters are going to take down the governor.  that might not be a bad idea... but until Silver and Bruno are taken away in handcuffs and sumarily executed, this state will continue to go down the drain.  I've got 5 more years to consider an early retirement... I've already made my decision... I'm outta here in 2009... and then I'm headed to near Rehobeth, Delaware... over the next year I'm laying the groundwork.

130235[/snapback]

Love your post: NYS politicians, next to Taxachussets, are the worst in ALL the land.

One caveat: if you're moving to Rehoboth, make sure you bring your vaseline.

I think that include the zoo since I think the county took it over.

130188[/snapback]

Yes, the zoo is already looking to place its animals with other zoos. If the red budget should pass they would not have time to place all of them in the short time until their funds are cut. So even if the taxes are raised the zoo is going to lose a bunch of animals. And, any animals that are moved are moved permanently.

As for libraries, you can no longer renew a book. The last day to check out a book is Dec 7, and all materials have to be returned by Dec 21. If the "red" passes, all libraries will be shut Jan 1.

Giambra blames Albany because Erie County's annual Medicaid bill is higher than the total of all county property taxes. Albany says that Giambra is to blame because he cut property taxes a couple of times and has also squandered the tobacco settlement money.

The politicians are playing a game of chicken and the Erie County residents are stuck in the middle.

Last week the Buffalo News web site had an article about this. Basically, it is a power move by Giambra to make the budget as small as possible so that the constituents will yell their heads off at their representatives (local and state) to restore services. By voicing their opinion to restore services, the residents of Erie county will have essentially "voted" themselves a tax increase and Giambra can walk away without getting burned.

Which brings us to the beginning argument. If the bills win till the steelers game and it actually has playoff implications, can you imagine the national story if the game had to be moved because the government can't fund police to watch over the crowd?

Guest Guest_macdaddy_*
Which brings us to the beginning argument.  If the bills win till the steelers game and it actually has playoff implications, can you imagine the national story if the game had to be moved because the government can't fund police to watch over the crowd?

130260[/snapback]

They can have it in my back yard!

Got this from bills.com

:lol:

130029[/snapback]

:lol:

was this post actually about something? i didn't make it all the way thru before rudy's avatar got my full attention :lol:

Yes, the zoo is already looking to place its animals with other zoos. If the red budget should pass they would not have time to place all of them in the short time until their funds are cut. So even if the taxes are raised the zoo is going to lose a bunch of animals. And, any animals that are moved are moved permanently.

The politicians are playing a game of chicken and the Erie County residents are stuck in the middle.

Which zoo ?

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041122/1049930.asp