Pro Bowl has become the NFL’s biggest joke

LGB

What does it mean to make the “Pro Bowl” if the only reason you were “selected” is because you happened to be 7th alternate at QB?

David Garrard" is at least the seventh choice for a roster spot" behind Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer, Matt Schaub, and Vince Young.

Is it still an honor to be selected “All-Pro” when the Pro Bowl members from the two best teams preparing for the Super Bowl are absent and alternates are asked to participate? Why play the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl or even have the exhibition at all? There are now 14 “new” “Pro Bowlers” because of the missing Super Bowl team members.

they only lost manning as a result of playing it a week early. none of those other guys would have played anyway.

the game was never relevant in the first place. i think it will be a good idea to play it this week because at least there isnt a complete lack of football for 2 weeks. and myself and many others lose complete interest in anything football related after the super bowl until next season.

The only reason players went to the Pro-Bowl was that they got a free trip to Hawaii. Since they were in Hawaii they were committed to play the game.

This year, it is in Miami and it does not sound the same as Hawaii.....The players do not care because the ones that were selected will already use that in their contract negotiations whether they play in it or not.

The Pro Bowl has always been a joke and will continue to be.. The only way the NFL can get the better players to "show up" for the Pro Bowl is moving it to some travel destinations. May be they should think about moving the Pro Bowl to Europe.

The pro bowl is good, as it does recognize achievement, but I don't see any point in actually playing a game. In the very old days the championship team played the all pros in a game (kind of interesting). When the AFL/NFL hatred lingered it was a chance to man up against each other. Now...it doesn't mean anything. If you just finished a season and are hurting (and are getting your bonus for making the pro bowl whether or not you play), you may not want to risk your "day job" to an injury in a game that means nothing. I just don't see any point to continuing it.

I've really liked Goodell for the most part, except for 2 changes he's made

1) Moving the Pro Bowl to Super Bowl week in the same city. As we see, players are either still banged up and don't want to play, or many of the best are about to play in the Super Bowl or JUST got eliminated and prob need a break from football. Plus, would you rather go to Hawaii or Miami, Indy, Dallas, etc?

2) Moving the Draft to prime time. That's just gonna suck for so many reasons.

I've really liked Goodell for the most part, except for 2 changes he's made

1) Moving the Pro Bowl to Super Bowl week in the same city. As we see, players are either still banged up and don't want to play, or many of the best are about to play in the Super Bowl or JUST got eliminated and prob need a break from football. Plus, would you rather go to Hawaii or Miami, Indy, Dallas, etc?

2) Moving the Draft to prime time. That's just gonna suck for so many reasons.

Why would this suck? I think they would get better rating. Unless you work the night shift, I think this is a great idea. A lot of families have things to do on Saturdays and some dont have the luxury of setting aside the entire day. During the week there isn't much on and it would be easier to follow and come saturday its down to the last rounds so its not as big of a deal as missing the first round.

JMO

Why would this suck? I think they would get better rating. Unless you work the night shift, I think this is a great idea. A lot of families have things to do on Saturdays and some dont have the luxury of setting aside the entire day. During the week there isn't much on and it would be easier to follow and come saturday its down to the last rounds so its not as big of a deal as missing the first round.

JMO

I used to love getting up on a Saturday and having the draft start early and enjoying the day watching it, its like going to an annual mass on a Sunday! Plus we threw a draft party every year in NYC, over 100 fans from the different teams cheering and booing all the picks.

I also liked that the Draft was a simple event....with prime time theyre going to go overkill on the drama and glitz ala ESPN.

Excellent point. I'd like to see how many Vikings and Jets are going to bail on the game. Plus you take out the Colts and Saints and that's a lot of holes to fill in a PB rooster.

At this point, they should make it like baseball; make sure every team contributes one starter.

I used to love getting up on a Saturday and having the draft start early and enjoying the day watching it, its like going to an annual mass on a Sunday! Plus we threw a draft party every year in NYC, over 100 fans from the different teams cheering and booing all the picks.

I also liked that the Draft was a simple event....with prime time theyre going to go overkill on the drama and glitz ala ESPN.

The draft was a simple event???

When, in the 70's? Come on---it's an endless event, even on day one. And there is simply no way anyone could cram any more phony drama into this event than already exists. That's hardly gonna change by putting it on at night.

Last I saw, people still went out by the 100's in Manhattan on weeknights...

Simply vote for the players to be named as "All-Pro" and forget about the game. It's a meaningless all-star game, as it occurs after the season, when most fans have started looking at Baseball, NBA (in-season) All-Star game, and NHL (in-season) All-Star game.

i could care less if they play Pro-Bowl All Star game....i never watch it. the players like the accolades and the trip to Hawaii, but HATE actually playing the game. half of them bail out anyways. why would any player , especially one about to enter free angency want to risk injury. there is no good time to play this game. just cancel the actual game....

SOLUTION:

this is all about PR public relations and media exposure for the NFL and its players. .......turn it into a big award ceremony with presentation on stage and brief film highlights shown....kinda like the ESPY's/ Oscar's..... have it the week before the super bowl where all the world media is assembled......actually get to see what some of these guys look like without a helmet, that helps their endorsement dealings and no more 7th alternates, even the injured players and those playing in the Super Bowl can participate.

SOLUTION:

this is all about PR public relations and media exposure for the NFL and its players. .......turn it into a big award ceremony with presentation on stage and brief film highlights shown....kinda like the ESPY's/ Oscar's..... have it the week before the super bowl where all the world media is assembled......actually get to see what some of these guys look like without a helmet, that helps their endorsement dealings and no more 7th alternates, even the injured players and those playing in the Super Bowl can participate.

That is a good idea...have an Awards Ceremony...you get my vote for commish.

No more watering down of past all-pro players - when it meant something to be an all-pro.

Actually, that's a question I had. If a 7th alternate makes it, is he considered an all-pro?

yep...it goes in the record book and the 7th alternate probably even gets a commemorative t-shirt and complementary gator aid jug. :doh: