I Have a New Avatar! Thanks to Guffalo...

rockpile

When he gets around to it, he can explain why it is significant. This is from a t-shirt he graciously passed my way in September!

Cool, eh?

Long story shortened version, back in the late 50's early 60's my Dad was a local cartoonist working at Holling press as a print salesman, one of the accounts for the company was the Bills, and they did the programs. Someone in the chain at either Holling Press or the Bills asked for a "Buffalo Bill Cody" cartoon for the home game programs.

They asked my Dad to do it based on a "Buffalo Bill" that had been done on a program in LA or Dallas. He made that one up and his cartoons were on the covers for all home games in the early years (I have some from 62 and 63, maybe some from later). If you get a hold of one of the old programs, take a look inside and some of the ads would have Dads' drawings with the players faces superimposed onto the cartoon bodies)

This year at the Hall of fame, when we got to the AFL exhibit I was with my brother and sister and there was a banner from each of the original AFL teams, Dad's Buffalo Bill was hanging right there! I sent him a text picture and said "Hey Dad, I always said you belonged in the Hall of Fame!" Pretty neat experience.

This year I asked him to do a remake of one and that is Rockpiles avatar, I had a few made up just for fun and as kind of a celebration of him being in the hall. Rock's Dad passed down an original jacket that had the same image in the back of the jacket, and thats why I made sure to get him one.

Long story shortened version, back in the late 50's early 60's my Dad was a local cartoonist working at Holling press as a print salesman, one of the accounts for the company was the Bills, and they did the programs. Someone in the chain at either Holling Press or the Bills asked for a "Buffalo Bill Cody" cartoon for the home game programs. ...

I don't believe you, who's your source?! We demand to know!

I saw the topic and that Dib posted and didn't notice Rockpile's name.

You know what I thought! :P

Premature excitation! :devil:

Great story Guffalo, Thanks for posting Rockpile and congrats on the new sweet avatar, and Dib... well, thanks for changing up yours so often!

Long story shortened version, back in the late 50's early 60's my Dad was a local cartoonist working at Holling press as a print salesman, one of the accounts for the company was the Bills, and they did the programs. Someone in the chain at either Holling Press or the Bills asked for a "Buffalo Bill Cody" cartoon for the home game programs.

They asked my Dad to do it based on a "Buffalo Bill" that had been done on a program in LA or Dallas. He made that one up and his cartoons were on the covers for all home games in the early years (I have some from 62 and 63, maybe some from later). If you get a hold of one of the old programs, take a look inside and some of the ads would have Dads' drawings with the players faces superimposed onto the cartoon bodies)

This year at the Hall of fame, when we got to the AFL exhibit I was with my brother and sister and there was a banner from each of the original AFL teams, Dad's Buffalo Bill was hanging right there! I sent him a text picture and said "Hey Dad, I always said you belonged in the Hall of Fame!" Pretty neat experience.

This year I asked him to do a remake of one and that is Rockpiles avatar, I had a few made up just for fun and as kind of a celebration of him being in the hall. Rock's Dad passed down an original jacket that had the same image in the back of the jacket, and thats why I made sure to get him one.

I changed it back to lapel logo on my father's coat, as a point of reference to your 'origin' story.

When they formed the Buffalo Bills Boosters Club, Inc., the Boosters were promoting this as the Bills' logo! I cannot back this statement up with fact, since most of the founding members of the club (est. 50 years ago) died or cannot be reached.

I have his coat and try to wear it to a snow game every year. I also have a Boosters Club Newsletter from 1961, a copy of the Boosters Club incorporation papers, and a small styrofoam football that was a souvenir from the 1961 Christmas party signe by several players and even Lou Saban and Van Miller.

They were smart to incorporate - that is why all the other fan clubs recognized by the Bills are BACKERS. :thumbdown:

Ten years ago I spoke to the Boosters at their 40th anniversary picnic, at the field house at One Bills Drive. I had the coat with me and showed it to the club, which included some old-timers who did not remember it, but were around then. My father told me there were only about 20 of these coats ever made. Denny Lynch wanted me to let the Bills "borrow" the coat and put it in a display case in the Admin Building. I had been forewarned that he would ask and cautioned that I would have to be the judge as to whether the display was secure or not (funny how things disappear, intentionally and by true accident).

I asked if perhaps I might be able to get a pair of cheap season tix in exchange for the loan of my coat, and we could discuss renewal of our agreement annually. He politely declined and promptly left. LOL

I wear the t-shirt a lot Guff! I will eventually put your Dad's avatar back! :wallbash:

My father told me there were only about 20 of these coats ever made. I wear the t-shirt a lot Guff! I will eventually put your Dad's avatar back! :wallbash:

There were only 24 of those shirts made up, I just did em as a thing for my Dad, It may be valuable some day