Lets draft this guy

billsfan_34

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm impressed that he threw 66 more TD's than interceptions but worry if he faced the toughest competition in the MAC. I know Big Ben played in the MAC but JP did well in the weak Conference USA

I understand the reluctance as the the age old question: "Is he that good because he's that talented or is he that good because he's facing less than stellar competition?" Truthfully only time will really answer that question but consider this; the following quarterbacks came out of the MAC: Leftwich, Pennington, Roethlisberger (sp?), Alex Smith, Charlie Frye, Bruce Gradkowski, and Charlie Batch. Now a few of those names are less than impressive but the purpose of my response is simply to say that if LeFevour (sp?) is setting all kinds of passing records for the MAC, these are the guys he's passing - no pun intended. So, will LeFevour be any good at the NFL level......I don't know, but I think the idea of the competition level not being adequate needs to be tempered with other factors as well. Of course we know Randy Moss came out of the MAC and we know how well he's done (twice a year at that!) but I also don't know what defensive players have come out of the MAC, as I didn't my research for that, and therefore the defensive talent may not equal the offensive talent as it appears the MAC generally sends offensive talent to the NFL more than I'm aware of the MAC sending defensive talent to the NFL.

What does all this mean?? Couldn't tell you, just another tidbit to keep in mind as we begin to look toward the draft and have to consider what QB options are on the table. As a side note, Tony Romo set all kinds of records........for a Division I-AA team and went undrafted before Dallas got him and I think it's safe to say he's done fairly well also. So, I think we need to be careful about how we look at QBs and their college performance, because while Pennington has had a solid NFL career, Alex Smith the #1 overall pick a few years ago, is still trying to figure out how to put on his jock strap.... :rolleyes:

I understand the reluctance as the the age old question: "Is he that good because he's that talented or is he that good because he's facing less than stellar competition?" Truthfully only time will really answer that question but consider this; the following quarterbacks came out of the MAC: Leftwich, Pennington, Roethlisberger (sp?), Alex Smith, Charlie Frye, Bruce Gradkowski, and Charlie Batch. Now a few of those names are less than impressive but the purpose of my response is simply to say that if LeFevour (sp?) is setting all kinds of passing records for the MAC, these are the guys he's passing - no pun intended. So, will LeFevour be any good at the NFL level......I don't know, but I think the idea of the competition level not being adequate needs to be tempered with other factors as well. Of course we know Randy Moss came out of the MAC and we know how well he's done (twice a year at that!) but I also don't know what defensive players have come out of the MAC, as I didn't my research for that, and therefore the defensive talent may not equal the offensive talent as it appears the MAC generally sends offensive talent to the NFL more than I'm aware of the MAC sending defensive talent to the NFL.

What does all this mean?? Couldn't tell you, just another tidbit to keep in mind as we begin to look toward the draft and have to consider what QB options are on the table. As a side note, Tony Romo set all kinds of records........for a Division I-AA team and went undrafted before Dallas got him and I think it's safe to say he's done fairly well also. So, I think we need to be careful about how we look at QBs and their college performance, because while Pennington has had a solid NFL career, Alex Smith the #1 overall pick a few years ago, is still trying to figure out how to put on his jock strap.... :rolleyes:

I apologize for getting too detailed but Alex Smith played at Utah in the Mountain West Conference. Not being critical but trying to be helpful. As for LeFevour I saw him in a couple of games and he showed me that he was a gamer. I wouldn't take him in the first two rounds but I would consider him in the third round or lower.

Saw this kid's bowl game performance this year and have to tell you - he is ALREADY better than anyone on our roster at this position currently. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the word spreads on him quickly - he's not secret now. Once he gets into the combine work and interviews w teams IMO that he'll be the 2-3 QB off the board... No way he's there by late 2nd round.

I apologize for getting too detailed but Alex Smith played at Utah in the Mountain West Conference. Not being critical but trying to be helpful. As for LeFevour I saw him in a couple of games and he showed me that he was a gamer. I wouldn't take him in the first two rounds but I would consider him in the third round or lower.

No apologies needed, my mistake for clarifying the last part of the post, as I intended to communicate that Alex Smith was from, at that time, a disrespected conference for not producing good enough competition and the knock on him was that despite his good numbers, were they inflated due to poor defenses and opponents? Which is where the discussion began with LeFevour, but no sweat, my mistake for not being more clear.....

I agree. If the Bills can get him in the 3rd, it would be a steal. However I think he goes somewhere in the 2nd.

I agree. If the Bills can get him in the 3rd, it would be a steal. However I think he goes somewhere in the 2nd.

I would take him in the second if hes there. If already gone then I would love to have Tony Pike in the 3rd. I dont want anyone but a cold weather strong big QB.

You dont think his arm is strong?

He's never actually seen him play. He's a 4-year starter at CMU and he won the MAC title 3 of those 4 years. He won the only two bowl games MAC teams have won in the last 4 years. Being a UB fan I've seen this guy terrorize us many times.

PTR

Dan LeFevour...strong arm, cold weather qb, moves in the pocket well, mobile, smart and a great leader.

meh I'm not sold, what is he running there the spread? That's what it looks like. I find it a bit odd that he runs the spread yet his highlight video didn't show but maybe one deep ball. I'm willing to bet that his knock is just that-his deep ball. On a side note it looks like maybe he can be converted to a WR if the QB thing doesn't work out.

Im not sure that is going to be the case with him. He is going to be a developmental type player who won't be contributing right away, especially at the qb position. In the era of quick returns on investment that dynamic will force him to be drafted a little lower. What I like about LeFevour is that he has a lot of moxie. Sometimes his play is not very refined but he finds a way to get it done. From what I have seen when he gets knocked down he doesn't get discouraged. He gets up and keeps playing without fear. He is a tough kid who would be embraced by the fanbase.

My feelings about our draft strategy is that the Bills need to get an OT to bulk up the OL and give the qb, no matter who it is, a fair chance to succeed.