Who do we bring in as a Defensive Coordinatior?

The Tomcat

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Bates

Defensive Coordinator Rankings:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/20...gs-lebeau-knows

EDIT: from June 2009

I would be happy with Jim Bates or D. Pees (formerly of the Patriots)... I think J.Bates is more likely as Bates and C.Galley have worked together before.

XX 1090 with Lee ''Hacksaw''Hamilton in San Diego is reporting the Bills are interviewing Jim Bates for DC position. Not sure how he knows that. Just thought I would share that info.

Personally, I don't think that Bates would be that bad of a choice. If you consider that the Bills have some very high cost, glaring needs on offense, they really don't have the money to completely retool the defense this year. Bates is known as a pretty good 4-3 guy and not a 4-3 cover 2 one at that.

If the Bills do hire Bates, it would appear that they are planning on spending money in Free Agency on either or both the OT and QB positions. There is going to be a need to upgrade the LB's on the current roster which will also probably will happen in FA and the Draft but the offense is Gailey's bread and butter and there is no way he will sacrifice the needs on the O for switching the D to a 3-4 and all the money that will be needed to bring in the necessary players to make that defense work.

Says he has health issues and may or may not return to coaching.

id love dean peas... which means we won't get him and will stick with the 4-3 lets just hope Bates runs it differently, because I think Fewell did a great job - we just couldnt get our defense a rest. I'm actually not all that upset with it, if we could add 1 good LB and get another DE (or maybe plays OLB more often).

Nix will find another good ole boy to run the defense. As much as everyone wants a 3-4, this team is so far away from that scheme it would take two years to bring in the right players to run it.

If Bates is hired they will use the 4-3, best personnel to fit it at this point.JMO I'll just be happy to finally get rid of the Tampa 2

Bills rushing defense ranking in 2009 (Out of 32 teams) 492nd

Total time spent on the field? Second in the league, at 32:34. K.C. was #1 with 32:49. Most plays from scrimmage. The Bills defense faced more plays than anyone. We're #1. We're #1. Yeah, baby. 1086 plays. Our defense faced about a game and a half more plays than average.

And yet ... 17th in points allowed. 14th in yards allowed. Yards allowed per play, 5.0, 8th best in the league.

For the horrendous amount of time they spent on the field because of our deficient offense, they did all right. Yeah, they wore out at the end of games and the end of the season. That's what happens to defenses that stay on the field too long.

Me neither. My memories of the 90's Bills and their 3-4 with a HOF DE and a talented LB corps was that teams with big O-lines ran on us all day long and couldn't stop it. Like SB 25 against the Giants. Actually all the SB's. So I'm not sure I'm sold on the 3-4.

I remember that game like yesterday and Marky, the biggest problem is that we had a 275lb NG who was a decent pass rusher and was mobile, but a terrible run plugger. He was alright in some situations but NOT against strong run teams! :thumbsup:

I remember that game like yesterday and Marky, the biggest problem is that we had a 275lb NG who was a decent pass rusher and was mobile, but a terrible run plugger. He was alright in some situations but NOT against strong run teams! :thumbsup:

all that defense needed was Pat Williams or Ted Washington.

Leodis was getting turned around all over the place before he got injured. And our LB corps is crap. Other than that things are just peachy on that side of the ball.

Are you referring to the Patriots game, the first game of the season? The game in which he was injured for the first time? Or the 2nd game of the season in which he was playing injured? There wasn't too much to his season. And from what I saw he was pretty aggressive and shut down. Yeah he was in his second season and maybe he should have been a polished gem by then but he wasn't. What he was IMO was better at bump and run then any cb on our team. He isn't afraid to get into the WR and yeah when your starting your 4th? game you might get beat once and awhile. He is the least of our worries. Now the LB's thats a whole different story, and it speaks volumes to the huge yards on the ground that we gave up. LBs aside we do have play makers on the defensive side of the ball.(Kyle Williams, Jarius Byrd, Leodis McKelvin, Aaron Schobel, T. McGee) I have to agree that a DC would jump at the chance to work with some of our good young talent, if the LB corp is straitened out in FA or the draft.

Are you referring to the Patriots game, the first game of the season? The game in which he was injured for the first time? Or the 2nd game of the season in which he was playing injured? There wasn't too much to his season. And from what I saw he was pretty aggressive and shut down. Yeah he was in his second season and maybe he should have been a polished gem by then but he wasn't. What he was IMO was better at bump and run then any cb on our team. He isn't afraid to get into the WR and yeah when your starting your 4th? game you might get beat once and awhile. He is the least of our worries. Now the LB's thats a whole different story, and it speaks volumes to the huge yards on the ground that we gave up. LBs aside we do have play makers on the defensive side of the ball.(Kyle Williams, Jarius Byrd, Leodis McKelvin, Aaron Schobel, T. McGee) I have to agree that a DC would jump at the chance to work with some of our good young talent, if the LB corp is straitened out in FA or the draft.

I can't even recall seeing our CBs use bump and run.