Starters in 2010

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OFFENSE:

QB: McNabb or Vick (Brandons "BIG" marketing move)

TE1: Shawn Nelson

TE2: Stupar

RB: Fred Jackson

WR1: Lee Evans

WR2: Golden Tate (2nd round pick)

SLOT WR: Steve Johnson

LT: Anthony Davis (1st round pick)

LG: Eric Wood

C: Geoff Hangman

RG: Andy Levitre

RT: Brad Butler

FB: McIntyre

DEFENSE:

CB1: McGee

CB2: Florence

Nickel: McKelvin

Dime: Corner

DE: Kyle Williams (assuming Schobel retires)

DE: Chris Kelsay

NT: Marcus Stroud

SAM LB: Keith Ellison

WILL LB: Kawika Mitchell

JACK LB: Aaron Maybin (Hybrid LB/DE)

MIKE LB: Poz

SS: Donte Whitner / George Wilson

FS: Jairus Byrd

ST:

K: Lindell

P: Moorman

Thoughts? :blink:

All due respect, I have several issues with this:

- If McNabb or Vick come to Buffalo, the team needs to draft a young QB too...I'm not hoping for much out of one of those guys

- I can't understand why Stupar gets into the starting lineup. Nelson is young, athletic, and has potential, so starting him makes sense, but I have no use for Stupar, Fine, Schoumann, or any of the other TEs on the roster.

- I'd be utterly shocked and amazed if Golden Tate lasts into the 2nd round of the draft. Not bloody likely.

- I still don't know what people have seen out of Steve Johnson to make them think he's a quality NFL receiver...he has 12 career receptions.

- I'd prefer an upgrade at FB as frankly, McIntyre doesn't do anything for me.

- I do love the idea of starting Florence, as he was easily the team's best corner in 2009

- Kelsay lacks the size to play DE in a 3-4, and doesn't have the speed or athleticism to play OLB, he simply doesn't fit the scheme...same goes for Schobel

- As far as a NT goes, Kyle Williams is more aptly built to play the position than Stroud. He's short, stout, thick in the lower body, and currently plays on the outside shoulder of the center. He has adequate size at 305 lbs (more than big enough if he has good technique) and goes hard on every snap. Stroud would have to move to DE, a transition that could present a problem--he's just a bit too bulky to be playing over an OT. Spencer Johnson I could see at DE, though.

- The only place Keith Ellison fits in the scheme would be as an ILB, and a backup at that. He's too small and has zero pass rush ability, so OLB is out of the question...Chris Ellis is better suited for that spot, and I have my doubts about him.

Just my 1 cent.

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

ST:

Thoughts? :blink:

I have a feeling that the 3-4 is a pipe dream this year. IF the Bills went that direction, the following players will no longer be in a Bills uniform, IMO. Stroud...Johnson...Kelsay...Denney...Whitner...Ellsion...McCargo...Corto.

That is a long list of players that need to be replaced. Basically the Ends and LB's all need to get bigger and more mobile, along with adding at least 2 NT's to the mix. There isn't one currently on the roster except the recent addition of Harvey and Duncan becoming a 3-4 DE.

QB - Brohm

RB - Jackson

LT - Butler

LG - Levitre

C - Hangartner

RG - Wood

RT - Bell

TE - Nelson

WR - Evans

WR - Hardy

WR - Johnson

DE - Kelsay

DT - Williams

DT - Stroud

DT - Johnson

DE - Maybin

LB - Poz

LB - Mclain (draft)

CB - McKelvin

CB - McGee

CB - Wilson

FS - Byrd

5-2 defense

:-P

this is good but expect a high draft choice at DT in addition to McClain starting at LB. Also possibly Wood moves to center (he was Brohm's college center) and Incognito starts at guard

Here is my version

O-Line LT- 1st round pick LG- Levitre C- Hangartner RG- Wood/Incognito if Wood isn't ready RT- Butler

Backups- Incognito, Bell, Meridith, and either a free agent or a mid round pick as the other interior line backup.

QB- Chad Pennington-Fitz-Brohm

RB- Freddy and Lynch with Omon and a free agent as the backups.

TE- Nelson-Fine-Stupar

WR- Evans-TO (Marketing move)-Steve Johnson- Hardy-Late round pick

Now the defense (We are staying with a 4-3)

DT- Jason Ferguson, Kyle Williams, Stroud, and a 3rd or 2nd round pick.

DE- Schobel and Kelsay with Maybin, Ellis, and a 2nd or 3rd round pick all coming off the bench.

OLB- Derrik Johnson and Mitchel

MLB- Poz

CB- McGee and McKelvin

SS- Whitner/George Wilson

FS- Byrd

I think we bring in Derrick Johnson to help out the linebacking core while Jason Ferguson helps out the run D. We fix the lines by drafting a LT early and getting both Wood and Butler back from injury, as far as the D-line we spend both the 2nd and 3rd round picks on it and as mentioned we bring in Ferguson.

Chad Pennington is a stop gap 1 year solution he could teach Brohm and gives the offense an air of professionalism that is desperately needed. We need to address both the O-line and the Defensive front 7 via the draft and then next season we can see what Brohm has or draft a QB. If draft a QB we can't put him in a compromised position.

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

ST:

Thoughts? :unsure:

Stroud is physically unable to play NT. Maybe he can play DE in a 3-4. I don't think Schobel is going to walk away. I think that was frustration speaking. If Ellison is a starting LB next year I will not watch until he is unjured and gone. Poz can't play ILB in a 3-4.

Mark it here - Edwards will be the starting QB.

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

ST:

5-11

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

ST:

yea i can see that except i like derek fine more than stupar and i like VICK OR MCNABB (decent draft pick this year IF mcnabb)...NO NO NO HELLZ NO GOT DAMN :unsure: MIT to pennington or brohm or fitz id keep captain check down another year than those clowns...mcnabb and vick are 10x better than a fragile qb with a noodle arm(pennigton) a worthless 2rd rounder who couldnt make gb's practice squad (brohm) and a journeyman qb who cant throw more than 200 yards more than 2x a season (fitz)...so how in the hell are those 3 a stop gap i wouldnt let them teach me to blow my nose.. STOP GAP yea a stop gap from winning... :sick::huh:

With the OL, DL and QB being a problem, we won't be taking a WR in the second round. Too much roster turnover will happen before August, its impossible to figure- I assume we will be after Vince Wilfork in free agency. Schobel may get a look at OLB, but the only 3 DL's I can see sticking are Kyle Williams, Stroud and Johnson- possibly Mccargo

I want Richie Incognito in the mix and I don't care what you say KYLE WILLIAMS is the best DT on this team!

Looking at the stat sheet, yes, but that doesn't show how playing next to Stroud helped him

I have a feeling that the 3-4 is a pipe dream this year. IF the Bills went that direction, the following players will no longer be in a Bills uniform, IMO. Stroud...Johnson...Kelsay...Denney...Whitner...Ellsion...McCargo...Corto.

That is a long list of players that need to be replaced.

I disagree WRT Johnson--I think he might make a respectable LDE in a 3-4--but otherwise I think your list is more or less right. The guys you mentioned are all either a) older, generally declining players who will soon need to be replaced anyway (Kelsay, Stroud), or b) backups (McCargo, Whitner, Ellison, Corto, etc.). If the Bills were to release every guy on that list tomorrow, would it really affect the team a few years down the line? I'd answer that question in the negative, because a few years from now, none of those guys will be with the team anyway.

The main problem with switching to the 3-4 is that we'd need to replace some second-rate or aging players on defense a little sooner than we otherwise would have, at a time when the offense has a lot of holes. To make up for this, the Bills could use one or two relatively early picks on defensive players they see as long-term solutions, and perhaps a few second day picks on defenders they see as short-term stopgaps/long-term backups. They could also sign some defensive players via free agency. These measures would largely assuage the short-term pain to the defense, without taking too many early picks away from the offense. Given the state of the defensive front seven, we're going to have to invest a good number of early picks in it over the next 2 - 3 years no matter what defensive scheme we employ. So we may as well start drafting 3-4 style defensive players, at least if we're convinced that the 3-4 is the better long-term option.

Kyle Williams would make a better 3-4 NT than Stroud at this point.

Here is what I would do with the starting lineup. I am only going to work with players that are currently signed. I realize personnel will change, but I won't speculate on that in this projection.

CB 1 - McGee

CB 2 - McKelvin

Nickel - Florence

Dime - Corner

FS - Byrd

SS - Whitner

OLB - Maybin

ILB - Poz

ILB - Mitchell

OLB - Scott, Ellison, or Draft (Needs to be addressed big time)

DE - Stroud

NT - Williams

DE - Schobel

I disagree WRT Johnson--I think he might make a respectable LDE in a 3-4--but otherwise I think your list is more or less right. The guys you mentioned are all either a) older, generally declining players who will soon need to be replaced anyway (Kelsay, Stroud), or b) backups (McCargo, Whitner, Ellison, Corto, etc.). If the Bills were to release every guy on that list tomorrow, would it really affect the team a few years down the line? I'd answer that question in the negative, because a few years from now, none of those guys will be with the team anyway.

The main problem with switching to the 3-4 is that we'd need to replace some second-rate or aging players on defense a little sooner than we otherwise would have, at a time when the offense has a lot of holes. To make up for this, the Bills could use one or two relatively early picks on defensive players they see as long-term solutions, and perhaps a few second day picks on defenders they see as short-term stopgaps/long-term backups. They could also sign some defensive players via free agency. These measures would largely assuage the short-term pain to the defense, without taking too many early picks away from the offense. Given the state of the defensive front seven, we're going to have to invest a good number of early picks in it over the next 2 - 3 years no matter what defensive scheme we employ. So we may as well start drafting 3-4 style defensive players, at least if we're convinced that the 3-4 is the better long-term option.

Making the change now makes more sense- while some call it tanking the season, I disagree. You may overachieve or may get better draft picks that will help implement the desired system. Any holdovers will become more acclimated to the new defense.

Here is what I would do with the starting lineup. I am only going to work with players that are currently signed. I realize personnel will change, but I won't speculate on that in this projection.

CB 1 - McGee

CB 2 - McKelvin

Nickel - Florence

Dime - Corner

FS - Byrd

SS - Whitner

OLB - Maybin

ILB - Poz

ILB - Mitchell

DE - Stroud

NT - Williams

DE - Schobel

No. Schobel couldn't play DE in the 3-4 and Williams is more suited to being Stroud's backup at LE. Maybin isn't good enough, maybe Schobel is- he is very athletic. Ellison may be a backup inside.

Anyone who thinks the transition will just take this season is kidding ourselves. We are rebuilding.

Sigh....another attempt to move the team to a 3-4 that relies on Stroud as a nose tackle and Posluszny as an inside 3-4 'backer. Not good.

Basically, the 3-4 begins and ends w/ a strong presence @ the nose. Stroud is more of a gap penetrator than a clogger, so he is miscast in that role. Posluszny lacks the David Harris-type size and power to really hold up as an inside 'backer. I'd be very concerned for the Bills' run defense were they to try this.

Dude, Poz played 3-4 ILB at Penn state. He is certainly NOT a 3-4 outside - 4-3 OLB I could understand.

Agree on Stroud. He is a 3 tech tackle.

CB 1 - McGee

CB 2 - McKelvin

Nickel - Florence

Dime - Corner

FS - Byrd

SS - Whitner

OLB - Maybin

ILB - Poz

ILB - Mitchell

DE - Stroud

NT - Williams

DE - Schobel

If we go with a 3-4, we better not have any injuries in the front 7.

Can't we just see what an improved offense will do for our defense? What's wrong with drafting 2 OT's 1-2 this year? Why piss around trying to get the starting 22 spread around as thin as possible? I've had enough of that bs! Work with the roster you have and replace players that aren't good with draft picks.

Let's stay off the hamster wheel for a couple of years please!