Focusing on the draft, with some speculation I heard today

Virgil

While trying to choke back the vomit of today's announcement, I happened to catch some more draft speculation around who will be there for the Bills at number 9. Now, let me just re-state that I don't believe much about people's draft status until after the combine, but still....

As it stands right now, the ESPN boys think we will have our choice of McClain, Clausen, or an OT. If that's the case, I think it's a can't lose, but I would like to see Clausen. I think we need that sign of hope for the future. I think OT is a big need, but I think we can also do well in rounds 2-4 with that as we did with Wood and Levitre (Yes, I know one was taken at the end of the first round)

But, if we switch to 3-4, I think we are actually in good shape and might even take better advantage of our talent.

Think Stroud as NT, or Kyle with how he played this year (ProBowl Nod). At DE, this is the only way I like Kelsay as he would be the DT, DE hybrid. He's good against the run. For the other DE, I like Schobel there if he doesn't retire. Now, for the ROLB, who doubles as the opposing DE, I think Maybin takes that spot and developes into the player we want. We then have Poz and Mitchell on the inside and look to the draft for the OLB. Corners, we have enough of them and a FS. SS is a drafting position to me.

On the O, we get Clausen first, focus on O-Line with 2-3. Get another 3rd in a trade for Lynch and take either the best DE, LB, or SS. Whoever you don't get, take with the rest of the picks along with another RB.

I don't know how much of that made sense, but I think that could very well work, even without Free Agency cause I don't think anyone will come here. I truly think this would make our front 7 stronger and utilize our talent themes better. We just have to stay healthy.

If we were to do this, I'd be fairly optimistic about the team after this season with another solid draft.

I want my Clausen Jersey. No Tebow

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While trying to choke back the vomit of today's announcement, I happened to catch some more draft speculation around who will be there for the Bills at number 9. Now, let me just re-state that I don't believe much about people's draft status until after the combine, but still....

As it stands right now, the ESPN boys think we will have our choice of McClain, Clausen, or an OT. If that's the case, I think it's a can't lose, but I would like to see Clausen. I think we need that sign of hope for the future. I think OT is a big need, but I think we can also do well in rounds 2-4 with that as we did with Wood and Levitre (Yes, I know one was taken at the end of the first round)

But, if we switch to 3-4, I think we are actually in good shape and might even take better advantage of our talent.

Think Stroud as NT, or Kyle with how he played this year (ProBowl Nod). At DE, this is the only way I like Kelsay as he would be the DT, DE hybrid. He's good against the run. For the other DE, I like Schobel there if he doesn't retire. Now, for the ROLB, who doubles as the opposing DE, I think Maybin takes that spot and developes into the player we want. We then have Poz and Mitchell on the inside and look to the draft for the OLB. Corners, we have enough of them and a FS. SS is a drafting position to me.

On the O, we get Clausen first, focus on O-Line with 2-3. Get another 3rd in a trade for Lynch and take either the best DE, LB, or SS. Whoever you don't get, take with the rest of the picks along with another RB.

I don't know how much of that made sense, but I think that could very well work, even without Free Agency cause I don't think anyone will come here. I truly think this would make our front 7 stronger and utilize our talent themes better. We just have to stay healthy.

If we were to do this, I'd be fairly optimistic about the team after this season with another solid draft.

No way Clausen is on the board at #9. No way. You have St. Louis, Cleveland, Washington, and Oakland (You never know what Al Davis is thinking) all in front of us that could take a QB. They all have that need. Denver also has two 1st Round picks, one that they could use in a trade up scenario if they want to draft a QB. Seattle also has two 1st round picks and could be looking towards life after Hasselbeck. Don't be surprised if Carroll goes after a QB. San Fran is also another team with two 1st Rounders this year so don't rule them out of a trade up to get a QB if they don't truly believe in Smith..

"a can't lose"?? lol! you can ALWAYS lose with ralphie boy and his good ol boy entourage

Can anyone explain to me exactly what the expectations are for 3-4 D. I know that CB's and Safties stay the same, but what kind of LB's, DT's, and DE's?

I thought the idea was two standards OLB's work as the two ILB's.

You have DE/OLB hybrids for the OLBs

You have a huge anchor type DT

And then a DE/DT hybrid for DE's

I'm honestly asking, and don't know.

Can anyone explain to me exactly what the expectations are for 3-4 D. I know that CB's and Safties stay the same, but what kind of LB's, DT's, and DE's?

I thought the idea was two standards OLB's work as the two ILB's.

You have DE/OLB hybrids for the OLBs

You have a huge anchor type DT

And then a DE/DT hybrid for DE's

I'm honestly asking, and don't know.

You need a NT as opposed to DT's. He should have a stout build ideally, Sam Adams/Ted Washington are great examples. You're DE's should be prototypical Bruce Smith types if not larger. The Aaron Schobels/Aaron Maybins of the world were built for OLBs and not DE's in the 34 scheme. Your DE's in the 34 can't be light.

No freakin' way RW & Co. pony-up the $$$$ Clausen & his agent will demand, or tolerate the lengthy holdout that will come with those negotiations - nor should they.

Bills need to bolster both lines - it's hard to play QB lying on your back. Most mocks this week show Buffalo taking Rutgers OT Anthony Davis.

No freakin' way RW & Co. pony-up the $$$$ Clausen & his agent will demand, or tolerate the lengthy holdout that will come with those negotiations - nor should they.

Bills need to bolster both lines - it's hard to play QB lying on your back. Most mocks this week show Buffalo taking Rutgers OT Anthony Davis.

Very true.

I would see the draft projecting out like something like this.

9th pick - McClain [iLB]

20th pick - (trade with Houston) Cody [NT]

34th pick - (trade with Detroit) Campbell [OT]

41st pick - Lefevour [QB]

Keep an eye on Colt McCoy at the end of Round 1 or at our original pick in Round 2.

Gailey said during the press conference that he likes personnel and players who have been successful everywhere. McCoy broke the NCAA mark for most wins by a QB and has had success at almost every level of football he's played. Gailey's had a reputation of liking scrambling QBs who can create havoc with their wheels. McCoy has been known to do this. We need a QB. McCoy is a QB (...kinda...)

I'm not saying I would be 100% on board with that move, but I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills attempt to trade back into the late 1st after drafting a LB or OT at #9 and get the QB they covet.

when will people learn no QB is good iwthout an OL in front of him? Clausen, for starters, is very, very over-rated. that said, he would be even wrose then brady quinn behind this bills line.

OL and DL in rounds 1and2, LB in 3, and DBacks the rest of the way hhahaha

Final 4 in NFL playoffs.

Minnesota 4-3

N Orleans 4-3

Indy 4-3

Jets 3-4

The Bills won't dismantle this defense. They stay 4-3 add some meat up front and become top 10 defense.

People are this board are fact averse. They like buzz words. the 4-3 is a perfectly fine defensive scheme, just like the 4-3. You cant just flip a switch like you can on a video game and expect the players youve acquired to play in the 4-3 to play fine in a 34. we dont have the bodies for 34.

If you idiots are so gung ho on the 3-4 get ready for a bad defenseive year.

btw defense wasnt the problem last year. it was lack of offense.

sorry but if the bills want to get 3-4 they will need to draft or sign a nt

kelsay/schobel/ellis/maybin CANNOT PLAY DE IN A 3-4

maybin and schobel have a chance to be decent rush olbs

Agree on Maybin, but Schobel is a classic 9-technique (4-3 DE). He doesn't have the explosiveness to play out of a 2-point stance, and lacks the coverage ability to play on the outside shoulder of a TE.

The closest thing to a rush LB that this team has, other than Maybin, would be Chris Ellis...and that's a stretch.

You need a NT as opposed to DT's. He should have a stout build ideally, Sam Adams/Ted Washington are great examples. You're DE's should be prototypical Bruce Smith types if not larger. The Aaron Schobels/Aaron Maybins of the world were built for OLBs and not DE's in the 34 scheme. Your DE's in the 34 can't be light.

While it's true that the 3-4 defense typically places emphasis on size, a true NT doesn't need to be a 350+ pounder. Baltimore's Kelly Gregg goes about 310, and he's terrific. Dallas' Jay Ratliff, a 2-time pro bowler, is a svelt 293 lbs. What's more important is that the guy knows how to tie up blockers and use leverage. IMO, there's no reason that Kyle Williams couldn't handle the role. Stroud is the guy I worry about, I don't know how he'd fit as a DE. It's not that he lacks the size or body type, I just wonder if he's as scheme diverse as a guy like Baltimore's Trevor Pryce, who successfully made the 4-3 DT to 3-4 DE transition several years ago. I do, however, agree that Spencer Johnson is an ideal 5-technique (3-4 DE).

Very true.

9th pick - McClain [iLB]

I don't mean to sound critical, but how on earth does Buffalo move back into the first round, and then move up in the 2nd round, without losing their own second round pick? The only way to do so would be to trade next year's 1st and 2nd rounders, which is a poor strategy for a rebuilding franchise.

Furthermore, how do you expect to get a top 15 talent (Bruce Campbell) at the 34th pick? And to top it off, you want Buffalo to draft a QB with a 3rd-4th round value in round 2? And all of this is predicated on McClain being there at pick 9, which I doubt will happen with Cleveland, Kansas City, and Oakland (all ILB-needy teams) drafting in front of us.

Like I said, I don't want to sound rude, but much of that doesn't make sense.

People are this board are fact averse. They like buzz words. the 4-3 is a perfectly fine defensive scheme, just like the 4-3. You cant just flip a switch like you can on a video game and expect the players youve acquired to play in the 4-3 to play fine in a 34. we dont have the bodies for 34.

I agree that there's no magic to any defensive scheme, either will work if the right guys are doing the right things. However, save for the rush LB positions, I disagree that Buffalo lacks the bodies. There's no reason that Mitchell and Poz can't start at ILB, and there's a severe misconception about the size required to play ILB in a 3-4 that makes guys like Harris and even Ellison capable of playing the spot--because they have less space to account for in gap coverage, and the increased size of the DL, the ILBs are better protected in the 3-4, so you can get away with smaller guys inside.

Just my 1 cent.

when will people learn no QB is good iwthout an OL in front of him? Clausen, for starters, is very, very over-rated. that said, he would be even wrose then brady quinn behind this bills line.

OL and DL in rounds 1and2, LB in 3, and DBacks the rest of the way hhahaha

I'm guessing people will only begin to learn that when it becomes the truth, and likely not before.

Cleveland had one of the top 10 o-lines in the league last season, and they were an awful team.

Tennessee allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL and boasted the league's only 2,000-yard rusher, but literally couldn't win a game with Kerry Collins at QB.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...e&Submit=Go

Top it all off with this: 5 of the 9 most-sacked QBs in the NFL (Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Favre, Romo, McNabb) lead passing offenses that ranked in the top 10 in the whole league.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?sea...mp;d-447263-n=1

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...;seasonType=REG

It's all about the QB...the stats don't lie.

Very true.

9th pick - McClain [iLB]

I dont see a way of having enough draft picks to trade for 20th and still have the picks you would need to trade for the 34th. and if you did you defenately wouldnt have the 41st. Just saying. Not likely.

"Idiots?" Dude, really?

i think we stick with the 4-3 for at least this year...just too many holes to fill in and we would end up being awful next year. take a cue from the jets...they drafted their lines and signed faneca and woody. i know people wont like trent as out starter next year but we can get by with him or some free agent for a year...we wont go to the playoffs but the team will be better and we go for the qb in the next draft.