Virginia Senator Jim Webb on Mass and the Health Care Bill

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny/ironic how things work sometimes. Kennedy spends his life trying to get universal health care, and on the precipice of getting it, his death leads to the event that kills it yet again. And thankfully it looks like this monstrosity is dead in its tracks. I was worried that they might try reconciliation, but I can't see 51 Senators falling on their swords for this. So instead they'll pare it down to small changes, which is what they should have been doing all along, as well as re-focusing on jobs, which again is what they should have been doing all along.

It's funny/ironic how things work sometimes. Kennedy spends his life trying to get universal health care, and on the precipice of getting it, his death leads to the event that kills it yet again. And thankfully it looks like this monstrosity is dead in its tracks. I was worried that they might try reconciliation, but I can't see 51 Senators falling on their swords for this. So instead they'll pare it down to small changes, which is what they should have been doing all along, as well as re-focusing on jobs, which again is what they should have been doing all along.

God works in mysterious ways.

Or blood vessels and the brain, after years of alcohol abuse and bad food?

Not to mention keeping a secret like killing Mary Jo Kopechne and making it look like an accident. That's a lot of stress on that brain!

Well now, Pelosi is saying she doesn't have enough votes to push the Senate bill through the House. Looks like it's officially dead.

It's not officially dead at all. She says she doesn't have the votes "now".

That was Pelosi putting her unfailingly simple positive spin on things. She won't have the votes ever again. As it was, she/Barry had to twist arms and grease palms to get the House bill passed the first time, and the Senate bill was already unpalatable for a good number of them. Now with the defeat in Mass, no one is going to stick his/her neck out for this albatross. Same would have applied to the Senate, WRT the "nuclear option," aka reconciliation.

That was Pelosi putting her unfailingly simple positive spin on things. She won't have the votes ever again. As it was, she/Barry had to twist arms and grease palms to get the House bill passed the first time, and the Senate bill was already unpalatable for a good number of them. Now with the defeat in Mass, no one is going to stick his/her neck out for this albatross. Same would have applied to the Senate, WRT the "nuclear option," aka reconciliation.

I hope you are right, but my guess is that they will look to chop up the bill into many small pieces. For example, they will pass a bill that only deals with Pre existing medical conditions. Democrats know that if there is opposition to a bill for denying people with pre existing medical conditions that it would be a very bitter poison pill to swallow.

So my guess is that they will introduce popular parts of the bill and make them bills of their own, and put the ball back in the other parties court.

I hope you are right, but my guess is that they will look to chop up the bill into many small pieces. For example, they will pass a bill that only deals with Pre existing medical conditions. Democrats know that if there is opposition to a bill for denying people with pre existing medical conditions that it would be a very bitter poison pill to swallow.

So my guess is that they will introduce popular parts of the bill and make them bills of their own, and put the ball back in the other parties court.

Which is still a vast improvement over the "one big pile of ****" bill, even if I don't agree with all the little piles of ****.