Marty Schottenheimer

Wing Man

i just read somewhere that in 15 years as a head coach or coordinator/assistant coach, gailey's teams have gone to the playoffs 11 times

True. And in the same place, you also read that

Only once has a Gailey-run offense ranked lower than 16th in the league. The other eight seasons featured four top-10 points per game rankings, two years in which they ranked 11th and a pair of season where the finished 16th.

In the two years he called plays for Miami’s offense in 2000 and 2001, Gailey had Jay Fiedler as his quarterback and Lamar Smith as his featured tailback. Both years the Dolphins went 11-5 and finished 16th and 8th in the league in points scored.

And . . .

After five seasons of ranking no higher than 25th in the league in total offense and no higher than 23rd in points per game, Buffalo’s players on that side of the ball could not be happier to see Chan Gailey hired by the club as their next head coach.

I have the feeling that between Gailey's coaching and Nix's drafting, we're likely to see substantial improvement with the Bills' offense! :blink:

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't read this thread. I imagine its a conversation between the side who thinks Ralph Wilson is a moron for not hiring Schottenheimer and the side who is trying to make themselves believe that Gailey is the answer.

All I will say is, it is absolutely incredible to me that Wilson is still running this team. It really is sad that his legacy is going to be marred by his last 10 years of running the Bills.

Regarldess of your opinion of Gailey, it is really unfortunate that Wilson has meddled with the team to the extent he has. Gailey might have been the best we can do and I think his track record should be given more repect by fans. But, to flat out deny Schottenheimer a shot...even a shot at an interview....is criminal.

This is Very, very,very,very simple.....If Nix did not feel comfortable with the hire (would you jeopardize a friendship?) then I think everybody would be okay with the decision, then we are back to square one (which is grumbling about Chan) and this NeverGiveUp guy is correct.............

HOWEVER>>>>>>>>>If Wilson is behind this and TG reports it>>>>>>whole new ballgame. Gloves are off!!! Fightin' time!! We shall see what eventually comes out in the wash

I'll be honest -- I didn't read through this entire thread. Is there a possibility Ralph's alleged "discomfort" with Marty is a result of the tension between Marty and AJ Smith in San Diego? I know the Ralph/Butler/Smith history in Buffalo, but perhaps Ralph respects Smith and thought if HE couldn't get along with Marty, he didn't want him here?

Just throwin' it out there...no facts to back anything up. I should write editorials for the Buffalo News.

I'll be honest -- I didn't read through this entire thread. Is there a possibility Ralph's alleged "discomfort" with Marty is a result of the tension between Marty and AJ Smith in San Diego? I know the Ralph/Butler/Smith history in Buffalo, but perhaps Ralph respects Smith and thought if HE couldn't get along with Marty, he didn't want him here?

Just throwin' it out there...no facts to back anything up. I should write editorials for the Buffalo News.

That might make sense, however, isn't it known that AJ Smith has been fairly critical/disrespectful toward Ralph Wilson?

No Martyball

ESPN reported this week that Marty Schottenheimer indeed was interested in coaching for the Bills, and that Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. was not keen on him.

Sources we contacted backed up the contention that Schottenheimer, 66, would have liked to return to the sidelines in Buffalo. Bills GM Buddy Nix is friends with Schottenheimer. So why no Marty? One possibility that seems logical is the Chargers' ownership gave a less than flattering endorsement of him to Wilson. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones did give a strong endorsement of Chan Gailey to the Bills, according to sources in Dallas. Schottenheimer is a defensive guy. The Bills wanted offense. He also would have been a more expensive option, although how much more is hard to say.

The elder Schottenheimer's role adds another element to the refusal of Brian Schottenheimer to interview in Buffalo. If dad wanted the job, the son was much more likely to beg off.

And to repeat:

why bs? i was told two months ago, the week Jauron was fired, that Marty would listen if contacted by the Bills, which is why i included his name as a candidate in several of my pieces.

and kudos to Tim for his work on this.

jw

Bumping this up for the weekday crowd ...

No Martyball

ESPN reported this week that Marty Schottenheimer indeed was interested in coaching for the Bills, and that Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. was not keen on him.

Sources we contacted backed up the contention that Schottenheimer, 66, would have liked to return to the sidelines in Buffalo. Bills GM Buddy Nix is friends with Schottenheimer. So why no Marty? One possibility that seems logical is the Chargers' ownership gave a less than flattering endorsement of him to Wilson. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones did give a strong endorsement of Chan Gailey to the Bills, according to sources in Dallas. Schottenheimer is a defensive guy. The Bills wanted offense. He also would have been a more expensive option, although how much more is hard to say.

The elder Schottenheimer's role adds another element to the refusal of Brian Schottenheimer to interview in Buffalo. If dad wanted the job, the son was much more likely to beg off.