Actual background on Gailey

Mikie2times

Keep in mind we sought after a coach that was....

1. Offensive minded.

2. Head coaching experience.

3. Playoff Experience.

4. A guy that could work with Quarterbacks like Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler, and Tyler Thigpen.

5. A guy that can show improvement year to year. See below (all football outsider stats)

Pittsburgh Offensive Coordinator 1996-1997

1995 (Previous year)

Offense Ranked:12

Passing: 11

Rushing: 17

1996 (First Season)

Offense Rank:12

Passing: 24

Rushing: 1

1997 (Second Season)

Offense Rank:6

Passing: 12

Rushing: 5

1998 (After Departure)

Offense Rank:20

Passing: 26

Rushing: 11

Dallas Head Coach 1998-1999

1997 (Previous year)

Record: 6-10

Power Rating: 13

Offense Ranked:20

Passing: 14

Rushing: 23

1998 (First Season)

Record: 10-6 (Playoffs)

Power Rating: 9

Offense Ranked:6

Passing: 6

1999 (Second Season)

Record: 8-8 (Playoffs)

Power Rating: 8

Passing: 13

Rushing: 8

1999 (After Departure)

Record: 5-11

Power Rating: 24

Offense Ranked:24

Rushing: 16

Miami Offensive Coordinator (2000-2001)

1999 (Previous year)

Offense Ranked:21

Passing: 19

Rushing: 26

2000 (First Season)

Offense Rank:18

Passing: 18

Rushing: 14

2001 (Second Season)

Passing: 9

Rushing: 30

2002 (After Departure)

Offense Rank:11

Rushing: 7

Kansas City Offensive Coordinator (2008)

2007 (Previous year)

Offense Ranked:29

Passing: 28

2008 (First Season)

Offense Ranked:22

Passing: 23

Rushing: 22

2009 (After Departure)

Offense Ranked:25

Rushing: 20

We just hired exactly what "we wanted". But it's clear by the reaction we wanted all this, plus a "big name". I wasn't happy at first, but it's clear to me we hired a legit coach, and actually did do our homework. Probably the best hire we could have made considering the lack of people who seemed to want to coach here.

I agree!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone saying "give the guy a chance" is saying that you trust Bills management. This is the same organization that has approved of Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, and now probably Gailey. Call me crazy, but as long as Smithers and Brandon haven't made a good decision in forever.

Who is the last manager, HC, GM, or otherwise that was hired by Buffalo and actually in demand by the NFL? And the first person who cites Levy in 86 should remember ML inherited too many quality players and had the greatest GM of his generation running the show.

Really poor post, Vet. Following your logic, anyone the Bills hire is automatically doomed to failure because the hierarchy obviously doesn't know their butt from a hole in the ground. Fuzzy thinking IMO, my friend. :thumbsup:

Explain to me how he has failed. He took a Jerry Jones-owned team to the playoffs for two consecutive years and only got fired because he...well...worked for Jerry Jones. I know that being a successful coordinator and college HC doesn't equate to an NFL head coach, but it's not like he had Jauron's record prior to this.

For the love of God, let's give him a chance. :thumbsup:

No. He was fired bc he went .500 in his second season at Dallas. Oh yea his teams scored a total of 17 points in two playoff games. thats hwy he was fired. His teams were also pretty bad a G Tech i dont know about you but going 7-5 every year in college isnt the hallmark of a great coach.

His best season EVER as a coach was 10-6 but he was blown out in the playoffs that year, at home. He has shown to be a mediocre head coach, maybe one step above dicky boy

It's pretty clear that we'll be a better team offensively next year, if only marginally. If Gailey can bring in a quality DC, we might make some noise in a couple of years. The real wild card is Nix. Can he really execute the kind of success that San Diego had in the draft? Will RW dismiss John Guy?

So a very bad stint as OC in KC. A Miami team that got better on offense when he left. A semi-successful stint as a OC with the Steelers (A lot of guys are successful on the Steelers and no where else) and a Dallas team who lost a lot of talent after he departed shockingly fell off the map. ITS A BAD HIRE FACE IT HAD OTHER TEAMS BE LOOKING FOR A HC THEY WOULDN'T HAVE BROUGHT THIS GUY INTO THEIR OFFICES FOR AN INTERVIEW AS A HC.

Hate to be negative, but I'm with you on the stats analysis. It doesn't look good, in fact it looks horrible. Here's to praying he isn't hired as HC. This hardly feels like an upgrade at all... May as well rehire Jauron...

Edit: for the record I love to be wrong in this case but the evidence presented points in the other direction... :/

Explain to me how he has failed. He took a Jerry Jones-owned team to the playoffs for two consecutive years and only got fired because he...well...worked for Jerry Jones. I know that being a successful coordinator and college HC doesn't equate to an NFL head coach, but it's not like he had Jauron's record prior to this.

For the love of God, let's give him a chance. :thumbsup:

In sullivan's article today it quotes Jerry Jones as saying the biggest regret he has since owning the Cowboys was firing Gailey after just 2 years. He said he did not deserve & it was not fair.

I know this team really does not deserve the benefit of the doubt & it has been a long 10yrs, but lets see what this guy is about & how he coaches before we run him out of town. He certainly has strong credentials over the last 20yrs & seems like he knows how to put an offense together. I think a key thing is what he does on the defensive side of the ball.

Hate to be negative, but I'm with you on the stats analysis. It doesn't look good, in fact it looks horrible. Here's to praying he isn't hired as HC. This hardly feels like an upgrade at all... May as well rehire Jauron...

Edit: for the record I love to be wrong in this case but the evidence presented points in the other direction... :/

How could you say he reminds you of jauron???? He has basically won wherever he has went. Jauron had one good season.

1. Offensive minded.

3. Playoff Experience.

4. A guy that could work with Quarterbacks like Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler, and Tyler Thigpen.

5. A guy that can show improvement year to year. See below (all football outsider stats)

1995 (Previous year)

1996 (First Season)

1997 (Second Season)

1998 (After Departure)

1997 (Previous year)

1998 (First Season)

1999 (Second Season)

1999 (After Departure)

1999 (Previous year)

2000 (First Season)

2001 (Second Season)

2002 (After Departure)

2007 (Previous year)

2008 (First Season)

2009 (After Departure)

We just hired exactly what "we wanted". But it's clear by the reaction we wanted all this, plus a "big name". I wasn't happy at first, but it's clear to me we hired a legit coach, and actually did do our homework. Probably the best hire we could have made considering the lack of people who seemed to want to coach here.

Great Post, I like the hire,... He is a winner. Just hope he has the Hunger

Updated: January 19, 2010, 9:05 AM ET

Source: Bills close to hiring GaileyComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

The Buffalo Bills are close to hiring former Dallas Cowboys and Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey as their new coach, a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Asked if the announcement would come Tuesday, the team source said, "I believe so."

The Bills are said to be impressed with how Gailey has brought teams to the playoffs with quarterbacks such as Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart and Jay Fiedler. In fact, Bill Cowher -- whom the Bills had been courting to replace the fired Dick Jauron -- highly recommended Gailey to the Bills.

Cowher planned to make Gailey his assistant head coach/offensive coordinator if he came back. Gailey has coached in four Super Bowls and has had his teams go to the playoffs in 11 of his 15 NFL seasons.

Gailey was coach of the Cowboys in 1998-99, following Barry Switzer, reaching the playoffs in both seasons but failing to win a playoff game. He coached Georgia Tech from 2002 through 2007 and led the Yellow Jackets to a bowl game in all six seasons at the helm.

Gailey has also worked as an offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs, who hiredf him in 2008 and relieved him of his playcalling duties after three preseason games in 2009.

When one candidate after another backed out, the Bills kept turning back to Gailey at Cowher's recommendation. The more they thought about it, the more they liked it.

This may be posted elsewhere, but here's some input from KC that someone at Arrowhead Pride put together as reasons why he should be considered for the KC job (last offseason).

Link

Some words from a guy who rarely admits he made a mistake are included:

I regret just giving Chan [Gailey] two years, said Jones, the Cowboys' owner and general manager. When you really look at what he's done since he's left here and look at what he had done here – he took us to the playoffs twice. And I'm not talking about the fairness of it. I'm just talking about how I should have worked hard on some things where we could've made adjustments that were meaningful.

He's a bum. Re-tread Coach, who got canned from another losing franchise. At least he was their OC and not the Head Coach. Typical No-emotion coach. I would have given Buddy Nix the benefit of the doubt, but this is a bad hire. If it was my job to turn around a ounce proud franchise into a contender, I would not have hired this guy. I dont care if people are turned off on this team. I would have done everything possible to get the right coach in here that is a hard-nosed football guy. They should have at least interviewed Billick. He did everything but beg to come here. There is a reason Chan Gailey got fired from KC. He's a bum.

No. He was fired bc he went .500 in his second season at Dallas. Oh yea his teams scored a total of 17 points in two playoff games. thats hwy he was fired. His teams were also pretty bad a G Tech i dont know about you but going 7-5 every year in college isnt the hallmark of a great coach.

His best season EVER as a coach was 10-6 but he was blown out in the playoffs that year, at home. He has shown to be a mediocre head coach, maybe one step above dicky boy

Good point. My first reaction is that this guy is coming in as the next Dick Jauron. Better to have taken a chance on a young firebreather like B. Schottenheimer or even Perry Fewell. I look at the Jets with Rex Ryan and where they are and just feel that this is just another bad decision by a dysfunctional Bills franchise.

both the cowboys and bills were fading fast talent wise. Free Agency had cleaned them both out. Gailey was canned more so because of 2 straight playoff blow outs and not the 8-8 season. in addition, JJ knew they needed to rebuild, and when he went with campo, they clearly went into full rebuild mold until PArcells/Bum took over.

the bills went through rebuild mode 3 times. once to clean out butlers mess of contracts and dead cap space he left, second to clean up donahoe's shoe string talent, and now 3rd to clean up Marv and Russ' disaster of a train wreck.

Gailey was an OC in the NFL this past year with old school philosiphies like RUNNING THE FOOTBALL. this is in stark contrast to Haley, who is a pass whacky architect. the NFL is a cyclic league - with the 3-4 at an all time high, the best way to beat it is with a solid running game, and the best way to be a 4-3 is with a great intermediary passing game and one that utilizes the middle of the field.

if we run the football like he has with his past teams (350ish carries for the RB, or split 200/200 with Lynch and FJ) we will be able to control the clock and grind down a lot of the d-linemen in 3-4s. nose tackles have a tough time chasing running backs all game and are better suited for a pass rush where tehy attack instead of run defense where they pursue.

so lets all get off our horses and let it play out....

The two best posts I've read on the hire have been by kzoomike and rpcolosi. Strong work, gentlemen. And this is the best thread of the day. Let's keep our powder dry and hold Gailey to his word: "You've got to win football games."

1. Offensive minded.

3. Playoff Experience.

1995 (Previous year)

1996 (First Season)

1997 (Second Season)

1998 (After Departure)

1997 (Previous year)

1998 (First Season)

1999 (Second Season)

1999 (After Departure)

1999 (Previous year)

2000 (First Season)

2001 (Second Season)

2002 (After Departure)

2007 (Previous year)

2008 (First Season)

2009 (After Departure)

A post with all numbers and facts. That doesn't belong on this board. Seriously really nice post and breakdown.

And even though Troy was a D II at the time, he still won a national championship there. I like that.

So a very bad stint as OC in KC. A Miami team that got better on offense when he left. A semi-successful stint as a OC with the Steelers (A lot of guys are successful on the Steelers and no where else) and a Dallas team who lost a lot of talent after he departed shockingly fell off the map. ITS A BAD HIRE FACE IT HAD OTHER TEAMS BE LOOKING FOR A HC THEY WOULDN'T HAVE BROUGHT THIS GUY INTO THEIR OFFICES FOR AN INTERVIEW AS A HC.

For that very bad stint in KC, Jason Whitlock (who I respect his opinion a lot on football) gave Gailey an A in his grades.

http://www.kansascity.com/934/gallery/1663692.html

A (92): Chan Gailey, offensive coordinator. Smartest man at Arrowhead Stadium. Collected a fat paycheck for sitting on his can while Todd Haley made a fool of himself trying to serve as head coach, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Gailey’s image is untarnished after being fired by Haley before the start of the season.