Top 10 Greatest Football movies

Rush23

Dell's recent list was the Top 10 Greatest Football movies ever. Wanted to get everybody's thoughts on the list, do you agree with it? What movies should be higher? What movies should have been included in the Top 10?

Personally, I think Varsity Blues should be a little higher. Easily my favorite football movie, high school Quarterback who faces the adversity of "high school politics" in Texas football. Plus the blonde chick's whipped cream bikini B-)

http://www.virtualsportsnet.com/2010/01/18...ootball-movies/

I know we are talking football movie, but my fav sports movie is Blue Chips.

Its a basketball movie, but it shows how colleges would illegally buy players and players families to come to their school, and the players expected it.

Excellent movie if you have not seen it, i highly reccomend it!

Good topic. In my mind, there are really two categories; serious movies (including serious comedies) and light comedy/guilty pleasure. IMO they deserve separate lists, because while I might enjoy movies like The Replacements, it really doesn't belong on a list with great movies.

Real movies, roughly in order:

North Dallas Forty - The standard bearer. Also foreshadowed Tony Romo's famous fumbled snap. Eerie.

The Longest Yard -- Great football movie plus hardcore southern prison? Hard to beat that combo.

Heaven Can Wait -- Go back and look at the cast for this movie. Hugely underrated.

Rudy -- Bonus points for filming on campus at ND!

Brian's Song -- Hell yes I cried during the locker room speech. Another classic, even if the made-for-TV production quality was evident.

Friday Night Lights -- Easily the best movie I've seen about HS sports.

Everybody's All American -- Underrated story of aging hero. Great performance by Dennis Quaid.

All The Right Moves -- Pretty good; early Tom Cruise.

Jerry McGuire -- Ok, it's a chick movie, but watchable.

Any Given Sunday -- Good, not great. A tad overrated IMO.

Remember the Titans -- Bleech. Horrible bunch of sanitized clichés.

Semi-Tough probably belongs on this list somewhere too, but I haven't seen it in about 20 years and don't remember much of it.

Silly movies, roughly in order:

The Best of Times -- Hysterical Robin Williams-Kurt Russell flick.

The Replacements -- Go Falco!!

Varsity Blues -- Pretty standard formula w/ super hooky ending, but still enjoyable.

Invincible -- Overdone, but decent.

Wildcats -- Now we're getting into 'really bad' territory. Goldie Hawn coaching inner-city football. Yeah, I'll buy that.

Second String -- An unintentional comedy, comedy? Why didn't they just get Flutie to play the QB role?

The Waterboy -- Didn't get the appeal; a little too much Adam Sandler for me.

There are very few really good football films, whereas with baseball you got Bad News Bears, Major League, The Natural, Field of Dreams, The Sandlot, League of Their Own, Bull Durham, etc. The only football movie that I've ever seen that really stirs up any real emotion in me is Rudy. I guess The Express does too, but that's certainly not a great film by any stretch. Varsity Blues? Cheese. I hear people referencing the Replacements on here- literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen. That being said, how in God's name has nobody mentioned Little Giants?

I don't think the great, defining football movie has been made yet. Like Bull Durham/Field of Dreams/The Natural, Hoosiers, Raging Bull/Rocky, Miracle for other sports.

I think that the 1st season of Friday Night Lights on TV was the best football based drama I have seen.

I like

Rudy

Remember the Titans

The Longest Yard

Brians Song

Waterboy

Varsity Blues

Jerry Maguire

I'd add:

Big Fan

Horse Feathers (football is the backdrop...I say it counts)

that terrible Disney movie from the 70s about the donkey that kicks field goals

In general I find nearly all sports movies awful. The drama in football loses its power when you know its being re-enacted. Especially since watching football is so attainable (as opposed to watch war or elves fight orcs). As a result sports movies are either thinly disguised fart comedies or inspiring tales of magical retarded kids who taught a team how to believe. Practically every film on that list is the exact same movie.