Some people need to calm down, The Buffalo Bills will be Fine

I thought the NFL players somehow existed before Madonna was popular. Seemed strange! Pre-Madona? Maybe before Diego Madona of Argentina! No that is actually Maradona. We'll have to wait another week at least for a HC but Frazier's D looks really good.

On a serious note - anyone aware of any defensive free agents on the Vikings? I would like to see him bring a leader or two ala Sexy Rexy did with the Jets and Scott and Leonhard.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How, then, are you informed?

You dismiss the info given by those have more access to info than anyone else---and you do so because they (shocking!!) don't name their sources??

Come on, name your source(s) that inform you that these guys are full of sh$t.

Let's hear it.

You seem to think we disagree. It doesn't seem that way. I'm not a journalist. I'm posting on a message board which is what I was trying to convey about these "journalists". They are not writing a "news" article. They're not operating at a level above anyone posting on these boards.

The media should be operating on a different level. A source should be identified as closely as possible. the sources cropping up in these articles have almost no identifiable information. For example, if you heard from someone at Standford, then the source should read, "A member of the Standford athletics department said.." if you could not directly identify that person.

Another good trick to use is "A friend of Bill Cowher said..." where that friend is actually a reporter. Maybe it's a guy who was a beat reporter in Pitt when Cowher was coaching and they talked through the years. They're friendly. They had dinner once or twice. That should be noted when giving the source since he's a member of the media. This often gets skipped because that may have been a "friendly" talk and "off the record" so the reporter doesn't want to be identified. At that point, it makes it unethical to even use it which draws the article into question.

I've worked in the field before and I know what's expected in a source and how that goes sideways when it comes down to getting readers and getting the story 'first'. You can find some information on the subject at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalism_sourcing

I'd recommend reading that. It's pretty solid and fair view on sourcing.

This passage specifically "Some news outlets insist that anonymous sources are the only way to obtain certain information, while others hold strict prohibitions against the use of unnamed sources at all times.[1] News organizations may impose safeguards, such as requiring that information from an anonymous source be corroborated by a second source before it can be printed."

I'm not aware what the standards are for these websites, but in general it's "two verifiable independent sources". The articles I've read have not provided anything more than a source on "deep background" which should almost never be used. Most organizations require that you have 3 or more "deep background" sources.

Please understand, I'm not saying the coaching search isn't horribly incompetent or that the Bills aren't viewed poorly around the league. I'm saying I'd like to see more actual facts from even mildly identified sources (that aren't other reporters).

My point is that we should expect more than a message board post quality from a "news publication". However, because the tizzy set off by this sloppy journalism gets them hits and creates buzz liek we're seeing on these boards then it will continue.

There's plenty of actual facts that can be used to point out the errors made by this organization.

the problem I have is that nothing was done to the front office at all. Russ Brandon still calls the shots for the football department.

I'd like to point in regards to my post above. A wonderfully legitimate complaint. The lack of success and lack of "new blood" is a solid argument and not based on speculation. We *know* Brandon was promoted. We *know* that Nix was promoted from within and that they have not brought in outside influences in any official capacity.

How anyone can say the Bills will be fine with the team's future is serious doubt is beyond me. Go ahead and ignore the obvious that the owner passing means the team is up for sale to the highest bidder. Ignore 10 straight non-playoff years. Ignore a roster nearly bereft of talent and severely lacking in depth that featured only 2 pro bowl alternates. Ignore that in the past four years the team has been on par with TD's last four years.

Ignore the multiple individuals who won't even take their calls to be HC. Ignore the GM search that didn't extend beyond the building. Ignore that Mr. Smithers was promoted after managing this team to a 13-19 record in two seasons as quasi-GM.

The team's rep has been irreparably damaged since Levy was inexplicably hired. Yeah, they'll be fine all right.

I realize the search has been long. Well to do a good search sometimes it take long. The fact that no one else needs a coach factors in, we can be more patient.

A couple of Facts:

1)NY state will not allow its states only football team to leave. Being from The NYC Metro area, its the Jersey Jets and the Jersey Giants. The NFL is not stupid. Senator Schumer, is powerful. The bottom line is that the Bills sellout ever game with poor teams.

2) So what if we wait,.. lets get a good coach.

3) As we all know there are 32 NFL teams, Its is a great job, Thousands of men would love to have this job, so if a couple of pre Madona's dont, well good we dont want them either. We want a guy that wants to be here and is hungry.

4) Ralph did listen to the fans, he fired a HC in the middle of the season. Put in a GM, and is trying to get a good fit as new HC.

5) We do have some talent, and we have a top 10 pick, with plenty of money under the cap. We are not the Lions or Tampa.

We will be fine, be Patient.

I think the key is and will be Schumer, As a liberal upstate is always an issue, keepig the bills in Buffalo is an easy and cheap way to help his image . As long as a buyer can be found at close to what an outside source is willing to pay I think Schumer and other make sure the team stays.

I think the key is and will be Schumer, As a liberal upstate is always an issue, keepig the bills in Buffalo is an easy and cheap way to help his image . As long as a buyer can be found at close to what an outside source is willing to pay I think Schumer and other make sure the team stays.

The executor of a will has a legal obligation to abide by the terms of the will. If the will states the the team must be sold to the highest bidder the team will be sold to the highest bidder. Sen Shumer has absolutely no say in the execution of the will by the executor. The senator can make all the noise he wants about the location of the franchise, but he has no real say in the matter.

The executor of a will has a legal obligation to abide by the terms of the will. If the will states the the team must be sold to the highest bidder the team will be sold to the highest bidder. Sen Shumer has absolutely no say in the execution of the will by the executor. The senator can make all the noise he wants about the location of the franchise, but he has no real say in the matter.

I think he meant that Sate money could be used to make up a difference or the Senator's influence could be used to find someone with the money to finance the shortfall. However, I personally, don't believe the price of the franchise will be within reach. New York State can't commit the type of dollars needed to keep the team in the area.

You seem to think we disagree. It doesn't seem that way. I'm not a journalist. I'm posting on a message board which is what I was trying to convey about these "journalists". They are not writing a "news" article. They're not operating at a level above anyone posting on these boards.

The media should be operating on a different level. A source should be identified as closely as possible. the sources cropping up in these articles have almost no identifiable information. For example, if you heard from someone at Standford, then the source should read, "A member of the Standford athletics department said.." if you could not directly identify that person.

Another good trick to use is "A friend of Bill Cowher said..." where that friend is actually a reporter. Maybe it's a guy who was a beat reporter in Pitt when Cowher was coaching and they talked through the years. They're friendly. They had dinner once or twice. That should be noted when giving the source since he's a member of the media. This often gets skipped because that may have been a "friendly" talk and "off the record" so the reporter doesn't want to be identified. At that point, it makes it unethical to even use it which draws the article into question.

I've worked in the field before and I know what's expected in a source and how that goes sideways when it comes down to getting readers and getting the story 'first'. You can find some information on the subject at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalism_sourcing

I'd recommend reading that. It's pretty solid and fair view on sourcing.

This passage specifically "Some news outlets insist that anonymous sources are the only way to obtain certain information, while others hold strict prohibitions against the use of unnamed sources at all times.[1] News organizations may impose safeguards, such as requiring that information from an anonymous source be corroborated by a second source before it can be printed."

I'm not aware what the standards are for these websites, but in general it's "two verifiable independent sources". The articles I've read have not provided anything more than a source on "deep background" which should almost never be used. Most organizations require that you have 3 or more "deep background" sources.

Please understand, I'm not saying the coaching search isn't horribly incompetent or that the Bills aren't viewed poorly around the league. I'm saying I'd like to see more actual facts from even mildly identified sources (that aren't other reporters).

My point is that we should expect more than a message board post quality from a "news publication". However, because the tizzy set off by this sloppy journalism gets them hits and creates buzz liek we're seeing on these boards then it will continue.

There's plenty of actual facts that can be used to point out the errors made by this organization.

10 paragraphs on a post

at anypoint the family could step in and take a lesser amount . I am not saying they will but it is not cut and dry . Plus the state could offer all kind of incentives ,tax breaks ect in order to keep the team in place. I think there will be a lot cards played here. I wouldn't think deep pockets from L.A are an automatic to win a bidding war

I realize the search has been long. Well to do a good search sometimes it take long. The fact that no one else needs a coach factors in, we can be more patient.

A couple of Facts:

1)NY state will not allow its states only football team to leave. Being from The NYC Metro area, its the Jersey Jets and the Jersey Giants. The NFL is not stupid. Senator Schumer, is powerful. The bottom line is that the Bills sellout ever game with poor teams.

3) As we all know there are 32 NFL teams, Its is a great job, Thousands of men would love to have this job, so if a couple of pre Madona's dont, well good we dont want them either. We want a guy that wants to be here and is hungry.

4) Ralph did listen to the fans, he fired a HC in the middle of the season. Put in a GM, and is trying to get a good fit as new HC.

5) We do have some talent, and we have a top 10 pick, with plenty of money under the cap. We are not the Lions or Tampa.

Keep drinking the kool aid. That attitude is why we have been terrible for the past TEN YEARS

A couple of Facts:

your are right

So Schumer has control over the NFL and can make them keep the franchise in NY even if the NFL owners (who actually have the power to decide) wants otherwise? Dude, think before you post. That is just nonsense. At best he can make some noise and try to drum up some local buyers to make a run at the team.

There is way more too it than purchase price of the team.

I thought the NFL players somehow existed before Madonna was popular. Seemed strange! Pre-Madona? Maybe before Diego Madona of Argentina! No that is actually Maradona. We'll have to wait another week at least for a HC but Frazier's D looks really good.

On a serious note - anyone aware of any defensive free agents on the Vikings? I would like to see him bring a leader or two ala Sexy Rexy did with the Jets and Scott and Leonhard.

Come on man, Rex has the same record as Mangini 9-7. Rex just talks a lot

A couple of Facts:

3) As we all know there are 32 NFL teams, Its is a great job, Thousands of men would love to have this job, so if a couple of prima donnas dont, well good we dont want them either. We want a guy that wants to be here and is hungry.

Now you've done it! This board does not like positive thinking. Ten years without a playoff appearence will do that to a fan base.